Carb Issues

More
08 May 2013 13:24 #586331 by Brian.Wolf
Carb Issues was created by Brian.Wolf
i have a 1981 kz750 with kz1000 carbs on it. I cleaned them as much as i could be now it only runs with the choke on and at a very high RPM. Any ideas on what i should do ?ir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2013 13:37 #586333 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Carb Issues
How are the boots around the carbs? Are they new and squishy, or old and stiff? Also, are there any other modifications to the bike?

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
08 May 2013 13:40 #586334 by Brian.Wolf
Replied by Brian.Wolf on topic Carb Issues
I have a 4 into 1 exhaust and thats it. I dont know if the carbs are re jetted or not i don thtink so. I am also not sure if all the vacumm lines are hooked up correctly because there is no vacumm line going to the petcock

More
08 May 2013 13:47 #586338 by Del_Herring
You ought to have one vacuum line going from one of the carb vacuum ports (doesn't really matter which), to the petcock, unless someone swapped out the petcock at some point in the past. Which is possible. If you've got the on/res/prime labelled lever, it should have a vacuum line, if there's an "off" on it, it's not a vacuum one.

If your bike still has the emissions stuff, there will be another two vacuum lines coming off the carbs (usually carbs 1 and 4) and into the emissions junk that ends up plugging into the valve cover area. If the two ports on the top of the engine for the emissions are capped off, then the carbs should just be capped off too. And the last carb is always capped off.

I ask about the boots, because they tend to develop tiny cracks, that you'll never see, when they get old and hard, and will cause the bike to run lean, and like crap. Since you're saying it only runs with choke, and then idles high, it sounds lean to me. I wouldn't think the 4 into 1 exhaust by itself would cause you to run that poorly on stock jetting, it shouldn't really require any jetting changes to run right with just exhaust, the intake tends to affect it more.

Sounds like you're still using the stock airbox, but just to verify, you aren't using pods, and still have the stock (or stock-like) air filter in the box right?

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
08 May 2013 13:48 #586339 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Carb Issues
Take them apart and clean them again, they are still dirty.

More
09 May 2013 12:45 #586577 by Brian.Wolf
No i am using pods.

More
09 May 2013 12:50 #586578 by Brian.Wolf
and will it hurt if i just hook up one vacumm line to the petcock and cap all the other stuff off. like all the emmision stuff..

More
09 May 2013 21:30 #586641 by bromz
Replied by bromz on topic Carb Issues
Try resetting your idle. It might be set to high. Butterflies might be open to much.

More
09 May 2013 22:10 #586646 by Del_Herring
Pod Filters = Running Lean.

If you're running pods, you'll need to spend some time rejetting the carbs. Otherwise try to find a stock airbox, it's easier. I like pods, personally, but they're definitely work to get running right.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
09 May 2013 23:14 #586657 by Del_Herring
And you can cap off the emissions stuff, just make sure to get all of it. It's the two other carbs that need to be capped. Then just pull the whole valve and hose part of the emissions off. Cap the two ports on top of the engine, and there's normally one on the airbox, but since you're on pods, that's a non-issue.

come to think of it, I don't know how the emissions stuff would attach without the airbox.

But you're safe to pull it and just cap everything.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
10 May 2013 12:20 #586725 by Brian.Wolf
Is there any way i can keep the pods and not re-jet

More
10 May 2013 12:38 #586728 by Del_Herring
Well, carbs work on the vacuum created by the engine trying to pull air when there's some restriction upstream, and also venturi effects. So if you wanted to not rejet. You'd basically need to emulate the flow restrictions of the stock airbox. i.e. block off part of the air. It's kind of a goofy way to do things, and you'll lose any performance benefits from switching to pods, but you could theoretically get it to run fine again. I honestly think it would be just as hard as jetting though.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre