Gas running out of pod filter

More
29 Apr 2013 12:28 - 29 Apr 2013 12:41 #584645 by peter1958
Gas running out of pod filter was created by peter1958
Bike is a Kz1000R2 With bs 34 carbs. All the air suction crap has been removed. Number 2 carb is hooked up too the vacuum line on pet cock. I have done the clear tube test for float height. Only thing I can think off is I am missing the pilot jet plugs. Is That my problem? Thanks for your time Pete
Last edit: 29 Apr 2013 12:41 by peter1958. Reason: carb type

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2013 12:43 #584652 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Gas running out of pod filter
Do your carbs have overflow tubes on the bottom (some don't / some do) and if so, is any fuel flowing from that tube on #2 carb?

You may have a float valve sticking; it only takes a tiny bit of rust or crud to prevent the float valve from shutting off the fuel flow. This can be checked without removing the carbs. You just remove the carb bowl and float then clean the float valve needle and orifice. Don't use anything abrasive; carb cleaner on a Q-tip should do it. Also, you may want to check the diaphragm in the petcock to see if it is torn or damaged. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
29 Apr 2013 12:55 #584653 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic Gas running out of pod filter
Pulling an old set apart right now for some plugs. I will take a look at the petcock. Easyer for me to remove the carbs. Not very good with the mirrow. Thanks Ed

More
29 Apr 2013 13:05 #584655 by peter1958
Now That I think about it .It must be the petcock. Will post findings later.

More
29 Apr 2013 13:28 #584658 by peter1958
petcock is fine. Put the plugs in a ziplock and somehow there are only 3 in it now
.I have other sets of carbs tho. will see if that does it.

More
29 Apr 2013 13:46 #584659 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Gas running out of pod filter
Those little plugs are not you problem, however I would put them back on, without them the carbs will run richer on the idle circuit. I would say you have a float valve issue, either some dirt got under the valve or it is hanging up. Take the bowl off the offending carbs and check out the valve.

More
29 Apr 2013 14:28 - 29 Apr 2013 14:33 #584673 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Gas running out of pod filter
Would sniff-test the crankcase oil and examine it's condition, because it might now be contaminated with gasoline.

Gasoline rising too high in a carb, due to a leaking float valve, gets into the carb throat and flows both ways, not only back toward the carb intake, but also forward making its way into the combustion chamber, and on down past the pistons into the crankcase.

This may also occur in a carb that has an overflow circuit where the overflow circuit is obstructed.

If crankcase fuel contamination exists, would close the petcock, change the oil and filer, and not allow gasoline to flow from the petcock until the overflow condition is corrected.

As known, a properly functioning petcock is NOT the cure for a leaking float valve or related condition allowing gasoline to rise excessively high in the carb.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 29 Apr 2013 14:33 by Patton.

More
29 Apr 2013 14:48 #584677 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Gas running out of pod filter

Patton wrote: ....As known, a properly functioning petcock is NOT the cure for a leaking float valve or related condition allowing gasoline to rise excessively high in the carb.

I certainly agree with you, the float valves or other carb issues must be fixed if they have a problem! And yet, there is still is a question in my mind about the petcock. If the vacuum petcock is functioning properly how can fuel be flowing from the tank to the carbs when the engine is shut off? If that is happening it makes me think the float valve and petcock both have problems or the petcock is being left in the "prime" position. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
29 Apr 2013 14:57 #584678 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Gas running out of pod filter

peter1958 wrote: ...I have done the clear tube test for float height....

A carb with a leaking float valve -- or with any other condition that allows incoming fuel to exceed the correct fuel level -- won't pass the clear tube test.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Apr 2013 17:01 #584690 by peter1958
The the pilot jet plugs did`nt fit. close but wont force them in. will take apart another set.From what I have found on side views of flow it looks to me like they might be the problem. I will sniff the oil and see if any got past the rings patton.Might just make some plugs up and see if the pure gas I run eats them.

More
29 Apr 2013 17:08 - 29 Apr 2013 17:09 #584692 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Gas running out of pod filter
If your bike has the original carbs they should be the Mikuni BS34 and I believe the ones fitted to the ELR did not have the little plugs over the pilot jets. I will say this again, those pilot jet plugs are NOT your problem. They have nothing to do how the gas level is maintained in the carb bowls. If the carbs are overflowing then the problem is going to be the needle, seat and floats nothing else. If the offending carb is over flowing then how did it manage to pass the clear tube / wet test? Just trying to save you frustration and $$.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2013 17:09 by baldy110.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonarmstrong

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
29 Apr 2013 17:12 - 29 Apr 2013 17:13 #584693 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Gas running out of pod filter
Is it the #2 carb with the issue? The one hooked to the vacuum petcock? Very well could be a hole in the petcock diaphragm. Also remember that where the float valve seat installs in the carb body, there is a o-ring there which can fail. All 4 carbs should get a new o-ring here, and clean the small in-let filter on top of the float valve/ seat, or replace the valves.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 29 Apr 2013 17:13 by Motor Head.