yup...small stumble.

More
20 Apr 2013 15:22 #583305 by CDNTX650
Replied by CDNTX650 on topic yup...small stumble. UPDATE
Alright, condensers on. Huge improvement in starting. It was a horrible machine to start when i first got it. Of course it has the starter issue, so you have to kick. As i slowly got it back to stock airbox etc it got way better, but still a bit of a hoor when cold. Now i can 4 kick it from cold, 8*c in garage. Huge difference in idle, it will idle way down and run smoother now. Throttle response from isle feels alot better now too. Havent taken it for a ride yet, but here hoping. Points are on the way, mine are pitted a bit so i used my points file and some contact cleaner. No more sparky for now.

Ill update again once its warm enough to rip er.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2013 17:09 #583321 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic yup...small stumble. UPDATE
While you're in there,make sure the advancer is working properly.It should twist and snap back cleanly.If not,take it appart and clean and lube it.Remember,the advancer springs are 35 years old. A TON of 750's have this stumble between 3250-4000 rpm.Mine included.I've come to the conclusion that the advancer springs have just gotten weak,and are advancing the timing to soon.After 4250,no problem.If somebody could replicate the advancer springs,they would make a BUNCH of money!!!!

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)

More
20 Apr 2013 17:33 #583322 by CDNTX650
Replied by CDNTX650 on topic yup...small stumble. UPDATE
Thats was the first thing i did when i got it was check and lube advancer. All works. Timing does what it should with the timing light. My TX650 has the same predicament involving the Advancer and springs. I did buy an electronic ignintion for it but it requires the mechanical advance. So a combo of a new a little to stiff spring and an older not as stiff one and voila. smooth advance. Although the guy who makes the PAMCO ignition came out with a digital advance this year so i may ditch the mechanical advancer.

Took it for a ride, idles a lot better. seems to really like 1400rpm so thats generally where i leave it. Starts easier. Still a bit of stumble, but it seems alot better than it was. Seems like they dont like agressive throttle where im feeling that stumble. I can roll through it. But its running great and as far as im concerned as good as it's probably gonna get till i can put a Boyer or Dyna in it. Been through the carbies a million times and did the WG coil mod. All new manifolds and box boots. Plus new coils/caps/condensers. Points are coming.

Next winter it gets some new paint and a from scratch wiring harness. Probably check my lash too while its apart.

More
02 May 2013 00:04 #585202 by CDNTX650
Replied by CDNTX650 on topic yup...small stumble.
Well, back again. Stumble is still there, idle is improved cause of condensers. Plugs are tan except plug one. fouled. Found and ultra clean set of vm26 on egay for 70 bones, 8 hours from me not even gummed. Factory paint still on sync screws. Even the air screw only 26's like I have. So, gonna rebuild the the minty rack right from ground up. then have a spare set for plungers etc. Plus...now I might as well double check the ole LASH while im busy..

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
02 May 2013 00:34 - 02 May 2013 00:34 #585210 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic yup...small stumble.
When going through your carbs, are you setting the Fuel Level with the Clear Tube Test? Fuel level is very important to proper function of all the carb circuits.
I'm sure you checked the needle clip position on the jet needles as well?
Air jets in the Air Horn/ bellmouth clean UN-obstructed?
vacuum sync performed?
Then of course there is always the mechanical, hows the compression balance?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 02 May 2013 00:34 by Motor Head.

More
02 May 2013 01:09 - 02 May 2013 01:12 #585221 by CDNTX650
Sync is good. All very close together on the guage. 1/8 difference at most. Floats set with clear tube method. The first two times i had the carb off last year i did use cleaner and air. cleaner flowed through all passages. Im figuring choke pad on that carb. Needes are all in same position. Positive i checked the bell mouth. I always spray and air and poke every freaking hole in carbs when i do them...emulsion tubes are clear too. Even did new pilots.
Last edit: 02 May 2013 01:12 by CDNTX650.

More
02 May 2013 01:20 #585223 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic yup...small stumble.
Did it have the stumble before you installed the new pilots? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
02 May 2013 01:24 #585224 by CDNTX650
Yup. Did it since i got it. im really.thinkin choke plunger on that cyl.

More
02 May 2013 08:15 #585256 by Jrbrownie00
Replied by Jrbrownie00 on topic yup...small stumble.
I have this same problem...I read that one guy had a bad spark plug cap and it was fixed by new wires.

82' kz750 ltd.

More
02 May 2013 08:52 #585261 by CDNTX650
New caps. Coils and wires on mine. And second set of plugs. Its still sparking. its just fuel fouled

More
02 May 2013 09:19 - 02 May 2013 09:20 #585263 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic yup...small stumble.

CDNTX650 wrote: ...Stumble is still there...Plugs are tan except plug one. fouled...might as well double check the ole LASH....

If carb has a side-located pilot air screw, turning the screw on carb #1 should produce a change in idle rpm. But if not, there's usually something still wrong inside the carb (likely an imperfect pilot circuit that's incapable of providing the optimal air/fuel mixture, for whatever reason).

Would also re-examine condition of the pointed end of the adjustment screw.

That's a good idea about re-checking the valve clearances.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 02 May 2013 09:20 by Patton.

More
02 May 2013 10:27 #585271 by CDNTX650
Thanks for all the great advice. The new set i have looks almost as clean as the set on the bike. So im ready to do another bosy up carb rebuild. I had to do my bs34s on my tx that way including new throttle shaft seals. Patience always prevails.