Pods & Crankcase venting

More
12 Apr 2013 08:58 #581956 by nivlac
Pods & Crankcase venting was created by nivlac
After reading Martin's post < www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/vintage...val.html#post2189990 >. I am concerned with crankcase venting. I will start reassembling my kz1100 this week-end (which had pods prior to teardown). I would like to eliminate the emmissions system but I don't want a crankcase venting problem. What is the option w/o going back to the factory filter box?

1983 kz1100
1979 cb650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
12 Apr 2013 09:06 #581958 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Pods & Crankcase venting
Run a clear vinyl hose from the crankcase vent up to frame tube under seat by battery box,then loop it down towards rear tire.
Be careful not to kink hose

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nivlac

More
12 Apr 2013 10:51 #581972 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Pods & Crankcase venting
Yup...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
12 Apr 2013 13:01 #581985 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Pods & Crankcase venting
Or you can run a hose attached to the vent straight up under the backbone and attach a small filter.

More
12 Apr 2013 19:14 #582032 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Pods & Crankcase venting
My emissions system was removed, and ports in cam cover plugged. The K&N crankcase breather works very well, with no oil blow-out. Had to bore out the cover ID for the chrome tube to fit.

This pic was taken prior to converting the bike back to the air box, but still without the emissions stuff...

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
13 Apr 2013 02:06 #582089 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Pods & Crankcase venting
I think you should keep the emissions system and don't connect the main hose to anything/keep a filter on it or maybe drill holes in the pods and link it in with t-fittings along with the oil breather.
the oil breather will lube the upper cylinders whether you like it or not.
the emissions pretty much lets air in to the exhaust headers when the engine is not doing anything and improves the reliability via the exhaust gas velocity in the headers will not ruin your exhaust valves. no such thing as a quick fix- how much did the performance improve the years that the emissions system was added.
my problem with it is my stock airbox wants to take the vacuum to new levels with the headers I have so I put a crankcase breather on the emissions tube and plugged the airbox.

More
13 Apr 2013 02:09 #582090 by badrhino
Replied by badrhino on topic Pods & Crankcase venting
Daveo why did you switchback to the airbox? Did you have trouble adjusting those carbs with the pods?

1980 KZ1000 with a 1982 KZ1000J motor with 1100 pistons and heads, Vance & Hines, 29MM Smooth Bores, Work in Progress
Franken Z!
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
13 Apr 2013 02:16 #582093 by donthaveakawman
Daveo I thought you were a hippy, for shame you went up and got rid of your emissions system.

More
13 Apr 2013 10:56 #582119 by daveo
donthaveakawman,
Never a hippy (sort of), but I do like speeding about. The useless missions thing was always in the way of accessing the motor, especially with the GPZ oil cooler mounted.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
13 Apr 2013 11:39 #582124 by daveo
badrhino,

After getting my bike set up ok with the pods, I started getting paranoid about having water get into the motor while riding in the rain. Dumb, since I've been caught in storms only twice with it in the last thirteen years.
It was not too difficult adjusting the carbs for a perceived performance gain, but I didn't get the jetting correct to minimize carbon buildup on the spark plugs. Mostly, I'm tired of messing with it for now, and can't afford the expense to have it properly tuned by an expert with a dyno.

1982 KZ1100-A2

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
13 Apr 2013 12:20 #582135 by donthaveakawman
I stuck my crankcase breather on the main emissions hose and went out- it mostly sucks at idle- that with the 136 main jets and the k&n filter with the drilled bottom of the air-box does just fine.

More
14 Apr 2013 17:50 #582291 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic Pods & Crankcase venting
Daveo:I got the SAME bike!!!I got the K&N's also,but why do you run yours up-side-down?As far as the breather goes,I zip-tied an old spark plug boot to the breather cap,and angle cut the top.

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)