Helpless '82 KZ550 in the hands of a TOTAL NEWBIE

More
11 Jul 2013 09:31 - 11 Jul 2013 09:32 #595965 by Patton
If not already done, would sniff-test and physically examine the crankcase oil, which might possibly have become diluted with gasoline.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 11 Jul 2013 09:32 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2013 21:32 - 20 Jul 2013 21:34 #597499 by timotay
Hi all, thanks again for all the input.

Using the clymer manual and the factory service manual as guides, I took out the carbs, removed the bowl and cleaned out everything I could including all the screws and the carb body. There wasn't much to clean.

I wiped and cleaned the airbox, checked all the hoses, clamps, boots, gaskets, O-rings and didn't find any issues. I threw everything back on without any issues and the bike started up ok. I can get it to idle but now the 3rd cylinder is not firing (or not firing very well). The bike idles but doesn't respond well at all when I throttle up, and it almost stalls out when I'm in gear. After running it for a while the 3rd exhaust pipe is warm while the others are piping hot, and the right muffler (3 and 4) has a weaker exhaust pattern than the left (1 and 2).

Spent all day trying to troubleshoot this. I dont see any leaks and all the air/vacuum/fuel hoses are tightly connected. I have spark on the #3 plug, couldn't tell if it was adequate so I trimmed and re-attached the cables and put a new plug in. That seemed to improve the performance quite a bit, but still not able to get past 4x RPMs in neutral nor about 15mph on the road. I'm not sure what else to check. I'm positive I put the carbs back together correctly (they were hardly even apart and I took hours to do it).

Any ideas what might be wrong?

- -[ 1982 KZ550C ]- -
Last edit: 20 Jul 2013 21:34 by timotay. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.