Jetting Help

More
06 Mar 2013 17:40 #575671 by Roadflyer
Replied by Roadflyer on topic Jetting Help
if you can't get a leaner needle you could try lowering the fuel level in the bowl by a couple mm's.
That will make everything a bit leaner, you might have to go to a bigger main to compensate for top end mixture.

1979 kz1000 shaftie rebuild project
1045 wiseco 10.25-1 pistons
Kenny Harmon 380 lift cams

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2013 18:32 #575686 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Jetting Help
You mention there are other guys using this carb on the same bike. Are you using the same needles and jets, and if so, are there other differences between their bikes and yours (exhaust, air filter, etc.)? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
06 Mar 2013 19:29 - 06 Mar 2013 19:39 #575702 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Jetting Help
The PWK is a very common carb on 2 stroke MX bikes, and IMO isn't too big for a 400. If you are on the hunt for a leaner mid-range and the needle is hard to find, consider going to a smaller, leaner needle-jet... There is more than 1 way to skin a cat! Including putting his head in a boot jack and pulling his tail really hard!!!! :woohoo:

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD
Last edit: 06 Mar 2013 19:39 by slayer61. Reason: spelling

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
07 Mar 2013 17:49 #575827 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Jetting Help
Have a look at www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_typ..._keihin_N427-48.html they seem to have everything you could possibly want for needle info. If you had a way of measuring your existing needle, you could compare it to their chart and make an educated choice. I have used jetsrus.com in the past for my oddball carb on my flattracker and they have allways been a great resource. Paul

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
07 Mar 2013 18:35 #575840 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Jetting Help
Regarding the ID on your needle N0LB, are you sure it is an O (oh) or a zero. Could it be instead a Q (que). As it appears there are no listings for that ID, but there are for some with a Q.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

More
12 Mar 2013 12:11 #576661 by treitz
Replied by treitz on topic Jetting Help
Thanks for all the awesome input guys. I ended up lowing my float level and it made a drastic difference! In fact after leaning out my jets so much, and then lowering my float level, I am a little too lean now :)

Guess it's time to jet it up and try to find that sweet spot I've been looking for all this time.

1979 KZ400 - 2-1 Manifold - Mikuni VM34

More
12 Mar 2013 12:55 - 12 Mar 2013 12:58 #576670 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Jetting Help
If not already done, would perform the "clear tube test" on each carb to assure that
the fuel level is within specs.

A specific dry measured float height is not the objective

The objective is achieving correct fuel level when the carbs are being supplied with fuel.
This is referred to as the "service" fuel level.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 12 Mar 2013 12:58 by Patton.

More
12 Mar 2013 12:57 #576671 by treitz
Replied by treitz on topic Jetting Help

Patton wrote: If not already done, would perform the clear tube test on each carb to assure that the fuel level is within specs.

The objective is correct fuel level when the carbs are being supplied with fuel.

I am using a PWK35 flat slide single carb. Unfortunately I cannot measure the float height with a clear tube because I do not have the necessary adapter.

1979 KZ400 - 2-1 Manifold - Mikuni VM34

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2013 18:45 #577087 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Jetting Help
it is possible to use a different adapter of some sort, I had to pick up my buddy's car when he went to court and it had the breathalyzer so I kept the mouth attachment and used it on mine. look around there are a wide variety of different things that can be used in the place of the standard tool.

More
15 Mar 2013 19:36 - 15 Mar 2013 19:40 #577096 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Jetting Help

treitz wrote:

Patton wrote: If not already done, would perform the clear tube test on each carb to assure that the fuel level is within specs.

The objective is correct fuel level when the carbs are being supplied with fuel.

I am using a PWK35 flat slide single carb. Unfortunately I cannot measure the float height with a clear tube because I do not have the necessary adapter.

The special tool "adapter" isn't necessary.

Just use the bottom plug screw hole, same as clear tube testing smoothbores with the similar bottom plug.

Fashion a rubber plug/grommet arrangement whereby gasoline feeds into the clear tube through the bottom hole without excessive leakage.

A short section of oil line hose or a rubber grommet -- I use a cone shaped rubber grommet with a hole through it --with the clear tube snugly fitted inside.

Absent the actual true fuel level being within specs, further carb tuning efforts are futile.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Mar 2013 19:40 by Patton.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2013 03:02 #577160 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Jetting Help
even with jetting harley exhaust is not good. think 1200 cc x2 vs 45 cubic inch x2