Jetting Help

More
04 Mar 2013 12:26 #575264 by treitz
Jetting Help was created by treitz
I have tried a variety of jets and I am getting pretty close. But I'd like to see if you guys agree with my line of thinking.

Currently, it idles pretty well, and operates great at full throttle. Where I am having issues is at lower RPM's. I.E. Right off of idle, and at cruising speeds. Like 4th gear at 40 MPH etc. It is definitely rich based on my black plugs.

Initially this lead me to the pilot jet. I basically jetted it down until it wouldn't even start, then went one up. So I am at a 45 pilot. My main I haven't messed with much because it is running fine at full throttle. Main is a 148.

My needle clip is at the highest (leanest) setting. I called a local shop and they suggested that I go down a needle size.

Does this seam like the best place to start to you guys too?

1979 KZ400 - 2-1 Manifold - Mikuni VM34

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2013 13:56 #575273 by gdprather
Replied by gdprather on topic Jetting Help
I went through my carbs last year after buying it and riding it for a year. I had a slight hesitation off idle to getting on it a bit. My bike would pop through the carbs a little bit on warm up. I replaced the carb boots that someone had jetted to the massive air leaks around each one. I ended up also replacing the o rings on my adjustment screws. My pilot jet is at 47.5 and my clip is second from the top. I have pods and 4 into 1 pipe. I am just stating that I would double check for leaks again. I would also throw a sync tool to it. I went down 3 jet sizes after fixing the leak and checking valves and double cleaning the carbs. Good luck

1985 Kawasaki Vucan vn700A1
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100D2 Spectre

More
04 Mar 2013 14:19 #575281 by treitz
Replied by treitz on topic Jetting Help
Sorry, I should have clarified. I am running a single carb PWK 35 flat slide.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
04 Mar 2013 19:48 #575323 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Jetting Help
you need to see if your air filter is clean.

More
05 Mar 2013 01:55 #575380 by gdprather
Replied by gdprather on topic Jetting Help
I agree check the filter. But I would possibly look at different needle as you stated in your post. Its work a shot. I just have a hard time believing that you cant adjust it out with the clip and pilot jet.

1985 Kawasaki Vucan vn700A1
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100D2 Spectre

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2013 02:03 #575384 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Jetting Help
make sure the muffler isn't plugged

More
05 Mar 2013 12:44 #575441 by treitz

gdprather wrote: I agree check the filter. But I would possibly look at different needle as you stated in your post. Its work a shot. I just have a hard time believing that you cant adjust it out with the clip and pilot jet.

It is a little weird... but the needle is on the lowest (leanest) clip setting, and I tried the pilot jet one size smaller and couldn't even get it to start. I guess if the needle doesn't work, I can try the smaller pilot jet again. Maybe I was doing something else wrong.

More
05 Mar 2013 13:36 #575453 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Jetting Help
Including information about bike year and model is helpful to viewers and usually elicits better responses.
It's easy to put the information in your signature where it shows in all posted messages, past and future.
And may be changed whenever and as often as desired.
If wanting a signature showing information about the bike in posted messages, it's easy to do. Here's how:

Attachment addsig.jpg not found

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
05 Mar 2013 13:48 - 05 Mar 2013 13:49 #575457 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Jetting Help
If I am reading this correctly you are running a single 35mm flatslide then you are in the experimental stage here. A 35mm carb is big enough for a 650 but not a 1000. You can get it to work with a lot of experimenting. I would say call Sudco or the carb manufacterer and ask their advice regarding a baseline setting for the carb. The way you are doing it is going to take a lot of time and money, you will end up just guessing at what do and without any hard and proven information it will take a LOT of experimenting..
Last edit: 05 Mar 2013 13:49 by baldy110.

More
06 Mar 2013 13:25 #575634 by treitz

baldy110 wrote: If I am reading this correctly you are running a single 35mm flatslide then you are in the experimental stage here. A 35mm carb is big enough for a 650 but not a 1000. You can get it to work with a lot of experimenting. I would say call Sudco or the carb manufacterer and ask their advice regarding a baseline setting for the carb. The way you are doing it is going to take a lot of time and money, you will end up just guessing at what do and without any hard and proven information it will take a LOT of experimenting..

Ya sorry... I am running it on a KZ400. I will add bike information to my profile.

I called SUDCO and Carb Parts Warehouse and neither of them could help me because they cannot identify my OEM needle. It reads N0LB which is a manufacturer parts number. Since they cannot identify it, they cannot suggest a leaner needle.

More
06 Mar 2013 13:58 - 06 Mar 2013 13:59 #575640 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Jetting Help
I would say that 35mm carb is too big for a stock 400cc engine. You are going to have a hell of a time dialing that one in especially without knowing what the baseline is on the carb. Not saying it can't be done but you will be doing a LOT of experimenting.
With a carb that big you will be chasing performance between idle, mid range and full throttle. Once the idle is good then it won't perform well on the other two circuits. You will then try and get the mid range dialed in only to giveup headway on the idle circuit. Then you will try to get the idle back and mess up the midrange circuit. See where I'm going with this. A carb that big on a small motor is VERY hard to get right. Good luck.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2013 13:59 by baldy110.

More
06 Mar 2013 14:42 #575650 by treitz

baldy110 wrote: I would say that 35mm carb is too big for a stock 400cc engine. You are going to have a hell of a time dialing that one in especially without knowing what the baseline is on the carb. Not saying it can't be done but you will be doing a LOT of experimenting.
With a carb that big you will be chasing performance between idle, mid range and full throttle. Once the idle is good then it won't perform well on the other two circuits. You will then try and get the mid range dialed in only to giveup headway on the idle circuit. Then you will try to get the idle back and mess up the midrange circuit. See where I'm going with this. A carb that big on a small motor is VERY hard to get right. Good luck.

Thanks for the input. I understand what you are saying. However there are other guys using this carb on the same bike.

I might try tweaking my jets a little bit more and if that doesn't work try a smaller carb. Tracking down a leaner needle is proving to be nearly impossible.