tuned for airbox but swapping to pod filters

More
13 Feb 2013 11:44 - 13 Feb 2013 11:59 #572225 by jbalet666
Replied by jbalet666 on topic tuned for airbox but swapping to pod filters
I see

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood
Last edit: 13 Feb 2013 11:59 by jbalet666.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2013 11:47 #572226 by jbalet666
It's an 82

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
13 Feb 2013 12:00 #572227 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic tuned for airbox but swapping to pod filters
If you're sure you want to use pod filters, then get a set of VM24 carburetors. Or maybe some VM26s. VM24s came stock on most 650s from 77-81 & will be more readily available. You'll also need the carb holders.

More
13 Feb 2013 12:12 #572230 by jbalet666

martin_csr wrote: If you're sure you want to use pod filters, then get a set of VM24 carburetors. Or maybe some VM26s. VM24s came stock on most 650s from 77-81 & will be more readily available. You'll also need the carb holders.

I think I'm going to keep the air box until summer then rejet/retune the carbs
as always the labor for this stuff is what gets you in the end but its never a bad thing to pay foe someones expertise
so hopefully by then I'll be able to put the jets in and just take them to get tuned
I got the filters relatively inexpensive so this isn't a do or die situation I'm planning on switching exhaust as well so there's no sense in tuning them more than once again
I'm extremely new to this stuff so I apologize to everyone in the thread if I get redundant or ask dumb questions
Thanks for all the help

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
13 Feb 2013 12:19 - 14 Feb 2013 11:03 #572233 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Rr brake shoes
I would just go ahead & resell the pod filters, then use that money on something else.... such as new rear brake shoes...

Rr Br shoes. If they are the originals or their age is otherwise unknown, replace them. The adhesive that binds the linings to the shoes can fail over time, so a lining can get jammed between the shoe & drum, locking the rear wheel.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2013 11:03 by martin_csr.

More
13 Feb 2013 12:28 #572235 by jbalet666
Replied by jbalet666 on topic Rr brake shoes
Thanks for the advice I have heard that the rear brake shoes weren't great the person I bought it from said he just replaced them but who doesn't say that while trying to sell something any recommendations as to what I should replace them with or is age the main issue?

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
13 Feb 2013 12:44 - 02 Dec 2013 15:38 #572240 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Rr brake shoes
Age is the issue. Mine were the originals - low miles & nowhere near the service limit but the adhesive failed.

I installed Vesrah brake shoes. If you go ahead & replace them, sand the leading edges of the shoes &
sand the drum glazing - very evenly & very carefully. Otherwise, you may end up w brake squeal.
Do not breathe the dust, as it contains asbestos.

Don't contaminate the bearings. Use brake caliper grease where lubrication is recommended.
Permatex Ultra disk brake caliper lube in the little packets.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2013 15:38 by martin_csr.

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
13 Feb 2013 15:29 #572248 by WABBMW
jbalet666:
I have an '82 with Mikuni BS32 CV carbs. The bike ran well with the stock air box. At one time, I considered pods. (Much easier to work on, and I thought that if they allowed more air, then the bike would surely run better). But before buying the pods, I tried a little experiment. I removed the air filter and the intake nozzle from the air box. This allows air to enter the carbs directly from the top of the air box, which is approaching 5" in diameter.

THE MOTORCYCLE RAN TERRIBLY. It bogged so badly that the horsepower was probably half of what it had been putting out. It would not even hold a steady speed without surging. Now the stock main jets are 107.5. So I put 110.0s in. The bike ran slightly better, but not good. I then put 112.5 jets in. Ran slightly better, but still nowhere close to stock. I didn't try any richer jets or raising the jet needles. Went back to 110.0 jets and put the filter and top back on the air box. THE BIKE RAN EXTREMELY WELL.

My conclusion, like so many others have mentioned, is that the CV carbs depend on the very slight restriction within the air box to run well. Pods lead to a tuning nightmare for the CV carbs. I am not saying that they might not eventually run well, but not until extensive work and experimentation has been done.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
13 Feb 2013 21:24 #572282 by Proxy
I think you made the right decision on the airbox if only for a little while. At least you will know how your bike is supposed to perform so when and if you go to pods you will be able to judge for yourself.I will only add this advice. When you do switch do not burn your bridges. It's bot fun getting an airbox out and some just end up wrecking the airbox. Besides you can get OK money for them usually and you just may not like pods and want to back track. It's not fun putting it back in either. I have done both. I like an airbox. That's my two cents and at that I'm overcharging.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
14 Feb 2013 09:35 #572334 by jbalet666

Proxy wrote: I think you made the right decision on the airbox if only for a little while. At least you will know how your bike is supposed to perform so when and if you go to pods you will be able to judge for yourself.I will only add this advice. When you do switch do not burn your bridges. It's bot fun getting an airbox out and some just end up wrecking the airbox. Besides you can get OK money for them usually and you just may not like pods and want to back track. It's not fun putting it back in either. I have done both. I like an airbox. That's my two cents and at that I'm overcharging.

Thanks for your advice I'm planning on keeping it in case I sell it one day I plan to return it to stock not many people here are interested in a cafed csr

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
14 Feb 2013 10:39 - 14 Feb 2013 11:04 #572341 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic tuned for airbox but swapping to pod filters
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNobody really knocked the Cafe Racer idea, which would be kinda neat. Anyway, it's a personal preference sort of thing - some guys prefer stock but a CR makes more sense than turning it into a chopper or something.

Here's a 650 that was posted over at the KZ650.Info site.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2013 11:04 by martin_csr.

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
14 Feb 2013 14:32 #572359 by Proxy
Dude it's your bike. Something some of us forget. Make it nice and make it safe and make it yours. There are members here who enjoy all bikes. It's not like those sites where all bikes have to have an HD on them. Don't get me wrong there either I like HD's. But not most HD fans. I got the same problem with religion. You don't build a bike that everyone will go ooooh at because not everyone will. Get over it and build the bike that will grab your ass, spark you imagination and slap a smile on your fugly puss. Some will blow their noses at you and your ride, some will wave and give you a thumbs up and some will chase you for a mile just to see your machine and share something with you. This place is pretty good. Sure there are some people who say things like I can't stand Bobbers or Cafe's or Jamokey's Bike is a POS (I hope there are no Jamokey's here). But just by their statement you should be able to tell what kind of biker/person they are. Join them or be yourself. I'd like to see this CSR Cafe. Bring it on!

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts