Mikuni Jet Issue ?

More
30 Jan 2013 22:25 #570023 by BIGKEVIN
Replied by BIGKEVIN on topic Mikuni Jet Issue ?
I beleive that they are all turned out 1 and 1/2 turns.

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 Jan 2013 22:31 #570025 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Mikuni Jet Issue ?
I think that is to far out, making it lean. Try setting at 3/4 turn and see how it does. In Rich, out Lean.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
31 Jan 2013 18:12 #570125 by BIGKEVIN
I didn't have much time to check on this, but I did start it up and set each air screw between 1/2 and 3/4 of a turn. The bike did ilde better. While check on this, I looked at the fuel in the see through filter and I was expecting the filter to be completely full of fuel, but it wasn't. When I turned the fuel off, the filer would fill up with the fuel that was in the hose connected to the tank. My question is, should the fuel filter be full of fuel when the bike is running ? I am hoping to have more time to work on this sometime this weekend.

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
31 Jan 2013 19:18 #570139 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Mikuni Jet Issue ?
The air screws on the 29s are different than on the other Mikuni carbs. On the 29s they have a small hole near the end that the other ones do not have. IMO I think a good starting point is to set them at 1/8 to 1/4 turn out from lightly seated.

Please note that I said that is a starting point and not the one and only setting.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

More
31 Jan 2013 20:52 #570150 by BIGKEVIN
When I get time again, I will start adjusting the air screws. Now I need to know about the fuel in the filter.

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

More
01 Feb 2013 01:20 #570193 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Mikuni Jet Issue ?

BIGKEVIN wrote: ...should the fuel filter be full of fuel when the bike is running ? ....

No, a clear inline fuel filter normally appears less than "full" when the engine is running.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Feb 2013 10:53 - 01 Feb 2013 11:05 #570229 by zoro
Replied by zoro on topic Mikuni Jet Issue ?

BIGKEVIN wrote: When I get time again, I will start adjusting the air screws. Now I need to know about the fuel in the filter.

"No!" Patton addressed this...I run an EMGO large plastic/metal filter with 5/16 clear lines...Filter always appears to have air in the line...Dont trip because although you see air, you dont see the "volume of flow" of the fuel...Cheers Oh, one other thing...I have "Sudco/Mikuni" tuning manual that "advises against" trying to vacuum sync "VM" carbs because once the carb caps are removed while the engine is running, the TRUE vacuum signals are compromised...A good bench sync is all thats necessary for VM carbs. If your hell bent on vacuum syncing VM carbs...Smear the slides with "dielectric" or silicon grease to seal them against the carb/slide bodies to prevent a false vacuum signal reading. The reason your bike was high idling was because most 29mm smoothies have worn carb slides that leak vacuum when the caps are off.

GHOSTRIDER,1980,KZ1000ST
Last edit: 01 Feb 2013 11:05 by zoro. Reason: interjection of correction...

More
01 Feb 2013 11:07 #570231 by zoro
Replied by zoro on topic Mikuni Jet Issue ?

zoro wrote:

BIGKEVIN wrote: When I get time again, I will start adjusting the air screws. Now I need to know about the fuel in the filter.

"No!" Patton addressed this already...I run an EMGO large plastic/metal filter with 5/16 clear lines...Filter always appears to have air in the line...Dont trip because although you see air, you dont see the "volume of flow" of the fuel...Cheers!... Oh, one other thing...I have a "Sudco/Mikuni" tuning manual that "advises against" trying to vacuum sync "VM" carbs because once the carb caps are removed while the engine is running, the TRUE vacuum signals are compromised...A good bench sync is all thats necessary for VM carbs. If your hell bent on vacuum syncing VM carbs...Smear the slides with "dielectric" or silicon grease to seal them against the carb/slide bodies to prevent a false vacuum signal reading. The reason your bike was high idling was because most 29mm smoothies have worn carb slides that leak vacuum when the caps are off.

GHOSTRIDER,1980,KZ1000ST

More
01 Feb 2013 15:23 #570254 by BIGKEVIN
Thanks for the replie Patton and Zoro. I did notice something else on the carbs last night that I need advice on. The part that the idle adjustment screw touches when it is turned in does not touch anything when the idle adjustment screw is completely removed. Should that part, which sets the idle, be making contact with something ? I have not been able to find the part names yet.

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

More
01 Feb 2013 19:17 #570282 by Patton

BIGKEVIN wrote: Thanks for the replie Patton and Zoro. I did notice something else on the carbs last night that I need advice on. The part that the idle adjustment screw touches when it is turned in does not touch anything when the idle adjustment screw is completely removed. Should that part, which sets the idle, be making contact with something ? I have not been able to find the part names yet.

If the end of the idle screw loses contact before sufficiently reducing rpm, it's likely that the bench sync was improperly performed.

When bench syncing, the idle screw must be set to where there's ample thread remaining to further lower the throttle slides from their bench-synced positions, as is usually required when later performing the actual engine-running sync.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Feb 2013 19:27 #570283 by BIGKEVIN
I will take the carbs back off hopefully tomorrow. If there is already a gap between where the idle screw screws in and the part that moves to set the idle, wouldnt screwing the idle screw into the part cause the idle to be higher ? Does anyone have a diagram of the Mikuni 29 mm carbs with a parts breakdown so I can be more specific about the parts ?

1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

More
01 Feb 2013 19:57 #570288 by Patton

BIGKEVIN wrote: I will take the carbs back off hopefully tomorrow. If there is already a gap between where the idle screw screws in and the part that moves to set the idle, wouldnt screwing the idle screw into the part cause the idle to be higher ? Does anyone have a diagram of the Mikuni 29 mm carbs with a parts breakdown so I can be more specific about the parts ?

If there is already a gap between where the idle screw screws in and the part that moves to set the idle, wouldnt screwing the idle screw into the part cause the idle to be higher ? --

No, because the individual throttle height adjustments are used to achieve bench sync.

Attachment smoothbore29sudcomanual.jpg not found

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: