Regular carbs vs Smoothbore carbs questions

More
19 Nov 2012 03:16 #559089 by KraZyRIDER
Smoothbore carbs are obviously the choice for high performance and well tuned engines. But, what exactly is the difference between a regular carb and a smoothbore carb? Why are they so much better and how much added performance would swapping them onto an engine actually add? Where do smoothbore make the most difference? If a bike is capable of running an 11 second 1/4 mile with regular carbs, how much quicker would it run with smoothbores?

Thanks! :)

Mean Green Speed Machine!
1979 KZ 650-C3 (Cafe Project)
1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2012 10:58 #559105 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Regular carbs vs Smoothbore carbs questions

KraZyRIDER wrote: Smoothbore carbs are obviously the choice for high performance and well tuned engines. But, what exactly is the difference between a regular carb and a smoothbore carb? Why are they so much better and how much added performance would swapping them onto an engine actually add? Where do smoothbore make the most difference? If a bike is capable of running an 11 second 1/4 mile with regular carbs, how much quicker would it run with smoothbores?

Comparing carbs of close size,you'll notice mostly stronger midrange acceleration with smoothbores. As for how much power you gain, that's really relative the the overall health and tuning of the engine.

They use a different slide arrangement with a jet block in the body to streamline the air flow past the needle jet. Effectively, that produces higher velocity which in turn reduces static pressure in that portion of the carb body. The reduced static pressure translates into a stronger signal at the needle jet. Atmospheric pressure then has and easier job of forcing fuel up the emulsion tube to feed the engine.

The more fuel you can draw and efficiently burn [not waste], translates into more torque.

Larry C.

More
19 Nov 2012 13:15 #559128 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Regular carbs vs Smoothbore carbs questions
The carb bodies are cast with just a circle in the top for the slide instead of a whole, hence "Smoothbore".
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
19 Nov 2012 15:40 #559134 by KraZyRIDER
Replied by KraZyRIDER on topic Regular carbs vs Smoothbore carbs questions

LarryC wrote:

KraZyRIDER wrote: Smoothbore carbs are obviously the choice for high performance and well tuned engines. But, what exactly is the difference between a regular carb and a smoothbore carb? Why are they so much better and how much added performance would swapping them onto an engine actually add? Where do smoothbore make the most difference? If a bike is capable of running an 11 second 1/4 mile with regular carbs, how much quicker would it run with smoothbores?

Comparing carbs of close size,you'll notice mostly stronger midrange acceleration with smoothbores. As for how much power you gain, that's really relative the the overall health and tuning of the engine.

They use a different slide arrangement with a jet block in the body to streamline the air flow past the needle jet. Effectively, that produces higher velocity which in turn reduces static pressure in that portion of the carb body. The reduced static pressure translates into a stronger signal at the needle jet. Atmospheric pressure then has and easier job of forcing fuel up the emulsion tube to feed the engine.

The more fuel you can draw and efficiently burn [not waste], translates into more torque.

...OK, so mid-ranger acceleration is increased by better fuel flow through the carb. Could the same be achieved by using a larger conventional carb?

As for how much power you gain, that's really relative the the overall health and tuning of the engine.

...again, with a well tuned engine capable of running an 11 second 1/4 mile with regular carbs, how much quicker would it run with smoothbores? I'm not holding you to a 1/10, or anything. I'm just curious as to how much of a difference there really is. Is it a huge difference, how noticeable is it?

1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

More
19 Nov 2012 15:48 #559136 by KraZyRIDER

Mark Wing wrote: The carb bodies are cast with just a circle in the top for the slide instead of a whole, hence "Smoothbore".
Mark

I'm not sure what difference this would make to fuel pick up, or fuel atomization. Can you explain what would be gained by the difference?

1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
19 Nov 2012 22:21 #559211 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Regular carbs vs Smoothbore carbs questions
due to the hollow bottom on the smoothbore slide, the air passes by it smoother, when it is all the way up into the carb body. so with less turbulence it can pass more air full throttle. but this same hollow slide creates a dead spot at low lift, so it has a poorer vacuum signal at very low slide lift, and a better signal at full lift.
this is exactly the opposite of a stock solid bottomed slide.

as for 1/4 mile improvements. not very much on a stock motor. We would only be talking a few HP I would think. it takes a combination of parts and labor(porting) working together to get a big dif. the engine has to breath better(must be able to accept more air and fuel) to create more power. but u can feel the add acceleration. I don’t think The full advantage of the carbs would not be realized, with out a bit of cam and porting.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
20 Nov 2012 00:56 #559232 by KraZyRIDER

mark1122 wrote: due to the hollow bottom on the smoothbore slide, the air passes by it smoother, when it is all the way up into the carb body. so with less turbulence it can pass more air full throttle. but this same hollow slide creates a dead spot at low lift, so it has a poorer vacuum signal at very low slide lift, and a better signal at full lift.

as for 1/4 mile improvements. not very much on a stock motor. We would only be talking a few HP I would think. it takes a combination of parts and labor(porting) working together to get a big dif. the engine has to breath better(must be able to accept more air and fuel) to create more power. but u can feel the add acceleration. I don’t think The full advantage of the carbs would not be realized, with out a bit of cam and porting.

...OK. So, if we were talking about a '79 650 - 4 that had degreed cams, a pipe and velocity stacks, would smoothbores be worth the cost? Or, would 750 pump carbs be just as good for the fairly stock application?

1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
20 Nov 2012 02:19 #559238 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Regular carbs vs Smoothbore carbs questions
degreeing stock cams wont bring u any power, unless they were grossly out of time, for some strange reason.. stacks r not recommended for the street. u will just suck in dirt and ware it your pistons.
what size carbs r stock for the 650 and 750?
keep in mind that as the carbs bore gets larger, u will gain top end and loose bottom end. so its hard to say which carb is best. its up to , how or where u want the power.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
20 Nov 2012 04:07 #559261 by KraZyRIDER

mark1122 wrote: degreeing stock cams wont bring u any power, unless they were grossly out of time, for some strange reason.. stacks r not recommended for the street. u will just suck in dirt and ware it your pistons.
what size carbs r stock for the 650 and 750?
keep in mind that as the carbs bore gets larger, u will gain top end and loose bottom end. so its hard to say which carb is best. its up to , how or where u want the power.

...well, I was recently introduced to an old time drag racer who build motors for people today. Specifically, Kawasaki motors. I said I wanted stock reliability with a little extra zip. He mentioned several ways to do just that. Cams and carbs were obviously one way. He also mentioned getting slotted cam gears so he could degree the stock cams. Or, he could slot them himself. He said he could degree the cams and change their timing in such a way that it would run like it had one size up cam in it. Doubt the man, not me. He's a long time legend in the area. He has several different bikes that his son runs that run in the 8 and 9 second brackets. I'm just trying to figure out what I want done and how much money I need to spend. Not looking to break any records, just have some fun and surprise a few people. Not sure on the carb sizes, I'll have to check.

1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
20 Nov 2012 08:44 #559264 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Regular carbs vs Smoothbore carbs questions

KraZyRIDER wrote:

mark1122 wrote: due to the hollow bottom on the smoothbore slide, the air passes by it smoother, when it is all the way up into the carb body. so with less turbulence it can pass more air full throttle. but this same hollow slide creates a dead spot at low lift, so it has a poorer vacuum signal at very low slide lift, and a better signal at full lift.

...OK. So, if we were talking about a '79 650 - 4 that had degreed cams, a pipe and velocity stacks, would smoothbores be worth the cost? Or, would 750 pump carbs be just as good for the fairly stock application?

All the old 750's had CV carburetors on them. All but the GPz had Keihins and they were not the performance units.

Larry C.

More
20 Nov 2012 12:57 #559284 by KraZyRIDER

All the old 750's had CV carburetors on them. All but the GPz had Keihins and they were not the performance units.

...so, you're saying the 750 carbs would be of no advantage?

1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
20 Nov 2012 16:45 #559315 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Regular carbs vs Smoothbore carbs questions
The carbs that came stock on the (K)Z650s were either Mikuni vm22ss (on the B2A and the D1A), vm24ss (on all other models up to 82) or BS32 (on the 82 and 83 models).

Here to the best of my knowledge are the carbs that came stock on the 750 (4 cylinder) bikes.

1980 E1 and H1
Keihin cv34

1981 E2, H2 L1
Keihin CV34

1982 E3, L2, H3
Keihin CV34
1982 R1
Mikuni BS34

1983 L3
Keihin CV34
1983 H4
Mikuni BS34
1983 ZX 750 A1
Mikuni BS34

1984 Kz700 A1, kz750 L4, ZX750 A2
mikuni BS34

1985-1988 ZX750 A3 - A5
Mikuni BS34

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT