Carbs getting gas but engine isnt?

More
27 Oct 2012 15:43 #556022 by tv219
Carbs getting gas but engine isnt? was created by tv219
I decided to post my carb questions here seeing it might fit better. The carbs on the 83 kz750 are filling but the engine does act like its getting gas? I can see the fuel filter is filled with gas and when I pull one of the drain plugs on the bottom of a carb the fuel filter does empty out. WTF is going on?...

The bike starts with starter fluid so wouldnt that mean its not getting gas? Im so close to kicking it over... first project bike. Thanks for all the help.

Bensalem, PA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2012 17:14 #556027 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Carbs getting gas but engine isnt?
Have you pulled the plug out of all the float bowls? You got a strong blue spark on all the spark plugs?

Starter fluid might ignite with weak spark, when gas won't.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
27 Oct 2012 17:58 #556031 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Carbs getting gas but engine isnt?
When were the carbs last cleaned? Could be all clogged up. It's easier for the fuel to fill the bowls than for it to get sucked out of all the various passages into the airflow, those guys need to be spotless.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
27 Oct 2012 19:34 #556038 by tv219
Replied by tv219 on topic Carbs getting gas but engine isnt?
I pulled the plugs on each carb and gas came out. I did not yet check the spark plugs :pinch: I plan on it next I get a chance
Also, i feel like im taking the carb apart fully but I may be missing something. Where the needle valve sits, is this the primary jet? I am so confused... thanks to another members posting I attached a picture of the carburetors assembly
How would you go about pulling parts 16017 and 16030 out? I get to there and Im just baffeled...

Bensalem, PA
Attachments:

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
27 Oct 2012 20:23 #556039 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Carbs getting gas but engine isnt?
When you are trying to start the bike are you using any type of air filter? If not then the mix will be very lean and most likely have issues starting without the aid of starter fluid.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

More
27 Oct 2012 20:47 - 27 Oct 2012 20:47 #556043 by gengomerpyle
Replied by gengomerpyle on topic Carbs getting gas but engine isnt?
you have to carefully remove the float but do it easily so you dont break off the tab or you will have to buy a new housing

tv219 wrote: I pulled the plugs on each carb and gas came out. I did not yet check the spark plugs :pinch: I plan on it next I get a chance
Also, i feel like im taking the carb apart fully but I may be missing something. Where the needle valve sits, is this the primary jet? I am so confused... thanks to another members posting I attached a picture of the carburetors assembly
How would you go about pulling parts 16017 and 16030 out? I get to there and Im just baffeled...

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler
Last edit: 27 Oct 2012 20:47 by gengomerpyle.

More
27 Oct 2012 21:09 #556045 by tv219
Replied by tv219 on topic Carbs getting gas but engine isnt?
In response to the air filter no there wasn't but I through a balled up paper towl to block the air flow a little and still now luck. ( read that a guy did it before for the time being. This is my first project so I'm learning as I go and have basic skills so praying this works out!

Bensalem, PA

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
29 Oct 2012 22:49 #556302 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Carbs getting gas but engine isnt?
16030 is the float vale/ needle and seat. There is a retaining screw, # 220 and the small holder # 13169. Then it has an O-Ring around it as it comes out, it will help to use a spray lube to ease it out as the O-Ring can have quite a bit of friction grip when dry.
The 16017 will remove once the slide valve and main jet are removed, #43028 and #92063. It has a light press fit, and usually takes a light push from the bottom, in towards the carb throat. You can loosen the main jet a turn, and push on it to get it moving.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
30 Oct 2012 06:03 #556344 by peavylotus
Replied by peavylotus on topic Carbs getting gas but engine isnt?
This might help...I had the exact same problem even with my stock air box all hooked up. It would not start without fluid but it would keep running after. Out side of that I have had fuel leaks, back firing, bogging, and even periodic reverse flow through the carbs. To fix it; First, I made sure the fuel idle screws were 1.5 turns out, they were 2.5 turns when I checked them. Kicked it over, had a few pops like it was trying but still no start. I then adjusted my floats. Problem solved. Started right up on the first kick. (I took away electric start) I swear those floats are the cause to a lot of problem with carbs. Especially if a novice took them apart before.

I now have a rule of thumb after messing with my mess...untill the floats are perfect. Everything else you adjust seems to turn into a quick fix that causes other problems.

1980 KZ 1045 LTD Currently Workin' It Out

More
30 Oct 2012 09:42 #556358 by Topper
If you're getting fuel into all the bowls and it isn't overflowing then you don't need to worry about part 16030 (the float valve) That just controls the flow of gas into the carb bowls. Sounds like they're working.

I'd focus on the float levels (use the clear tube method mentioned in other threads in the forum) and cleaning all the passages.

Somebody had a great carb cleaning diagram on here. It included instructions for spraying carb cleaner through each passage and where it should come out, then covering certain holes with your finger and verifying the carb spray comes out another passage.

I'll see if I can find it.

I swear those floats are the cause to a lot of problem with carbs. Especially if a novice took them apart before.

Since I still consider myself a novice and tv219 probably is too, help us out here. I've used the clear tube method for setting my float levels, but is there something more to it? The spec in my manual is a range of acceptable float levels. Is it best to be high, low, smack in the middle? How accurate do we need to be and how much can float levels vary from one carb to another?

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 Oct 2012 09:52 #556361 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Carbs getting gas but engine isnt?
I'd be pulling the float valve seat out. two reasons, first the O-ring is probably junk and will ill effect float fuel level, and second you want to be sure the screen above is clean.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
30 Oct 2012 09:59 #556366 by Topper
Here's the clear tube method for setting float levels courtesy of Patton. You don't need a special tool as shown in the pic. I use a clear plastic tube I got at the hardware store with a little teflon plumbers tape wrapped around the end.

Patton wrote: An illustration of the clear tube test is shown in the illustration below, with side located drains.

With version of CV carbs where outlet nipple on bottom of float bowl serves dual purposes of both overflow and drain, be sure to use the drain outlet function and not the overflow function when allowing fuel to flow into the clear tube.

[Click on image to enlarge view.]

Good Fortune! :)

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys