Carb Identification and Help Setting Up

• Charles Nix
  • User
  • 1981 kz 1000c4
More
17 Sep 2012 22:51 #549366 by Charles Nix
Replied by Charles Nix on topic Carb Identification and Help Setting Up
Note that the one lower bowl has a accelerator pump on it. This helps on acceleration. Watch for a ball and slug in the bowls ,also a very small keeper clip for the ball and slug. Shake bowls only in a contained area ! The carbs shood not need the pumper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HeartOfSwords
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Yeah, I Can Fly...
More
18 Sep 2012 09:00 #549412 by HeartOfSwords
Replied by HeartOfSwords on topic Carb Identification and Help Setting Up
You guys are all fantastic! I am definately planning on going through all the crabs and make sure everything is ok. Im thankful for the info on the balls that are in the bowls. I only hope that the PO knew of this because he claimed to me that he cleaned all the carbs prior to trading it to me. If not, and they are somehow lost, this should be "fun" for me... Im hoping that they are unmolested so I can properly clean and modify then as required by new engine application.

Also, on the last pic in my first post with the throttle connection, there is one cable connected to that (the throttle does work), but the pic I took looks like there should be a cable that attaches to the other side? I think I see a cable dangling behind the carbs with no connection, BUT it does not move when the throttle is applied. Anything on that?

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
18 Sep 2012 12:38 #549441 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Carb Identification and Help Setting Up
Yes stock it came with 2 cables sort of a push/pull thing. They both connect to different sides of the throttle (hand grip) and either pull the carb throttle slide up or push it down.

You can most likely run with just one but having both provides for more positive throttle closure.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

More
18 Sep 2012 15:55 - 23 Jan 2013 11:55 #549475 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Carb Identification and Help Setting Up
never mind - same info doh
Last edit: 23 Jan 2013 11:55 by martin_csr.

More
18 Sep 2012 21:04 #549554 by built408
Replied by built408 on topic Carb Identification and Help Setting Up
I strongly recommend getting a FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL for your bike althoe you have a different engine. I would also get one for that engine it kinda stinks that you have a different engine so you may have to try to find one just for that engine aswell . You can find reproduction manuals on ebay or maybe someone on here may have both in a cd, I would ask around. It a great tool I just got mine for my bike and It literaly has EVERYTHING.

1978 KZ1000 A2A with MKII body you know you like it

• HeartOfSwords
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Yeah, I Can Fly...
More
21 Oct 2012 13:29 #554978 by HeartOfSwords
Hey guys, sorry to dig this thread up again, but I am wondering that since I have a 750 motor but 650 carbs, what for factory air box do I need to get? I see that the 650s and 750s air boxes are different... Any help there would be great!

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
21 Oct 2012 16:32 #554997 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Carb Identification and Help Setting Up
Id use the one that came on the bike origionally since its more of an issue of fitting the frame than anything else B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
21 Oct 2012 18:06 - 23 Jan 2013 11:57 #555008 by martin_csr
The 650-CSR has the same airbox as the 750-4s. The earlier 650 airboxes have different hole sizes.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2013 11:57 by martin_csr.

• HeartOfSwords
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Yeah, I Can Fly...
More
22 Oct 2012 20:06 #555249 by HeartOfSwords
Ok thanks guys. Then ill try and locate one of those

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
22 Oct 2012 20:25 #555255 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic Carb Identification and Help Setting Up
Those are 24mm mikuni carbs. same as on a kz 750. I noticed you do not have a cable to close the carbs. or mabye you didnt hook it up but it helps eliminate the carbs returning to idle slowness that some carbs have. a set of 26mm carbs would work better for you. to find out your size of carbs, measure the inside diameter of the carb that fits into the rubber holder.ask your kawasaki dealer to get you a push cable for your bike. you already have the pull cable. some guys double up on the return spring and run just one pull cable which works at the expense of an easy opening throttle. send us pics of your bike and welcome.

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.

More
23 Oct 2012 09:26 - 23 Jan 2013 00:26 #555337 by martin_csr
I would find some good ducts first, then the airbox. 81 CSR ducts are nla.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2013 00:26 by martin_csr.