Carb Identification and Help Setting Up

• HeartOfSwords
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Yeah, I Can Fly...
More
16 Sep 2012 16:05 #549083 by HeartOfSwords
Carb Identification and Help Setting Up was created by HeartOfSwords
Hey guys, I just got this bike and its my first Kawasaki and also its kind of customized. The bike is an 81 KZ650H that has had the engine swapped to a KZ750 LTD motor. I was trying to research what kind of carbs these looked like and trying to figure out how they hook up to everything so they work properly, but that been a tough one. Being new to these bikes and this not being stock I dont know what everything was like originally. I plan on buying a set of pods to put on it, so I dont know what all the original airbox connected to, so I dont know what hoses or things will be lying around extra and what to do with them. Heres pics of my carbs awhile and any info you guys can give me would be fantastic!

Some things I noticed in diagrams was that there were lines coming off the bottom of the carbs float bowls which arent there on mine. Also my carbs are constantly slow dripping gas from those float bowl nipples. The one pic I took of where the throttle linkage is I noticed it looks like there is a line that is supposed to connect into it but there is nothing there. Im assuming it could be a difference from 650 CSR to a 750 LTD? Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
16 Sep 2012 17:22 #549098 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Carb Identification and Help Setting Up
Those are the older 24mm carbs from a 650 motor,you can tell by the ribs on the bodies B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• HeartOfSwords
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Yeah, I Can Fly...
More
16 Sep 2012 17:33 #549102 by HeartOfSwords
Replied by HeartOfSwords on topic Carb Identification and Help Setting Up

wireman wrote: Those are the older 24mm carbs from a 650 motor,you can tell by the ribs on the bodies B)

Thanks, now is there anything I need to be concerned about with them working on a 750 motor? Is there a diagram or pics that could show me how they hook up and everything? Do the carbs have a specific title (ex. Mikuni _____)?

• wireman
  • User
More
16 Sep 2012 17:37 #549104 by wireman
Maybe vm24 or something like that.
Im guessing just a fuel line and some vacuam fittings to plug

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
More
16 Sep 2012 17:38 #549105 by wireman
Bottem picture is throttle cable connection B)

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
16 Sep 2012 18:10 #549109 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Carb Identification and Help Setting Up
Agree they look like vm24ss carbs. They should have an ID stamped on the flange just below the choke lever. IF you post what the ID is I should be able to tell you what model(s) they were stock on and what they jets and other internals were stock.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Attachments:

• HeartOfSwords
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Yeah, I Can Fly...
More
17 Sep 2012 02:43 #549183 by HeartOfSwords

gd4now wrote: Agree they look like vm24ss carbs. They should have an ID stamped on the flange just below the choke lever. IF you post what the ID is I should be able to tell you what model(s) they were stock on and what they jets and other internals were stock.

Awesome! I will get right on that as soon as it gets light out again (garage has no electric). Meanwhile I forgot to mention that I was able to ride the bike home so they function, but it would only stay on with the choke applied. I had a long ride home and when I came to a stop I had to keep some throttle on to keep it from stalling. As soon as I got home and put it in neutral and let off the throttle it stalled. PO thinks its the lack of air filters causing this, and I think that plays a part but I think theres more to it...

• HeartOfSwords
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Yeah, I Can Fly...
More
17 Sep 2012 14:30 #549259 by HeartOfSwords
Ok, heres a pic as promised. I have no idea whether they are 1's or 7's but thats all the numbers that I found located where you told me to look. I also took the number off the engine and that reads KHI KZ750EE064238

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
17 Sep 2012 16:09 #549280 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Carb Identification and Help Setting Up
OK that makes them a set of 1401 Mikuni VM24ss carbs which came stock on the kz650 H1(CSR) model.They were set up rather lean from the factory, most likely to meet EPA standards.

So I would say they are the carbs that came stock on your bike, and were used with the replacement engine when it was installed. The carbs, as your pictures show do have an accelerator pump and stock came with the following:
Main jet 92.5
pilot jet 15
jet needle 5CL30 - only one slot so have to shim to adjust
needle jet AO-5
Throttle cutaway 1.75
pilot air screw adjustment

Without out air filter(s) it will be running lean and that is why you need the choke to keep it running. You should open the carbs up and see just what size jets it is currently running before you try to rejet. You also have to decide what sort of air filter(s) and exhaust you will be using.

If you are going to be running the stock air filter and exhaust, it will run with the stock jetting as noted above, but it was rather lean from the factory and I would suggest you will get better results if you use 102.5 main as a starting point. That is the size of the stock main jet in most of the KZ650s with the vm24 carbs. IMO it would be a better starting point to begin the tuning process.

If you are going to run non stock air filters and or exhaust then other changes will certainly be necessary.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman, HeartOfSwords

• HeartOfSwords
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Yeah, I Can Fly...
More
17 Sep 2012 19:16 #549310 by HeartOfSwords
Wow, that is fantastic info! Thanks so much! The exhaust on the bike is definately not stock. The PO referred to it as MX3 exhaust (if anyone knows what that is), and I love the way it sounds so I plan on keeping those mufflers. As far as air filters go I planned on buying 4 pods for it, BUT if you think I could get away with putting on a stock 650 air box and NOT have to rejet the carbs, then I would be all for that. Maybe in the next few days I will yank off the carbs and evaluate what jets are in them... Are they labelled as to what size they are, or do they need to be removed to tell? Ive never torn carbs down before or even cleaned them, so this is a learning experience for me :cheer:

More
17 Sep 2012 20:43 #549336 by tinlizzie37
Replied by tinlizzie37 on topic Carb Identification and Help Setting Up
There are little balls in the rear of the bowls, so be careful you don't lose them. Keep all the parts separate from each other and return them to the same carbs. Clean the float needles well, that's why they're dripping. You really should do the whole carbs. You don't have to take them off the rack. Buy a Kaw factory manual, it's invaluable. Bob
B

Bob KZ 650 E1, En 450

More
17 Sep 2012 22:23 - 22 Jan 2013 23:52 #549351 by martin_csr
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 23:52 by martin_csr.