deleted the emissions crap on my kz550 now it's running lean.

More
04 Nov 2012 10:48 #556999 by 650ed
"well I destroyed the boots from the carb to the box and they are pricey if you can find them. so putting back the old air box is out of the question"

"is this a good price for the dynojet kit? - Dynojet Kit KZ550 1980-82 $95.77"
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...0-82&item=DJ2305

"Airbox Hoses (4) KZ550 KZ650 - $45.72"
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...650&item=11015-057-K

I believe you have started down that slippery slope....... ;)

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2012 15:17 #557028 by cronk
i just pulled my carbs out for a cleaning.
never had em apart but i was able to pull a float bowel off and outside carb and it looked pretty back. i'll be curious to see if mine has upgraded jets as it came with a 4 to 1 exhaust and a k&n filter.

the modification path is definatly more than the restore to original.

1982 KZ-550

More
04 Nov 2012 15:43 #557036 by agnogel
It helps to run a carb/jet cleaner in the fuel system every so often to elimate varnish and other deposits build up in the fuel system, In the states seafoam is very popular,
Before you rejet the carbs you need to make sure they are balanced correctly and clean removeing the stock filter and adding pods should not make a big difference to the engine as most add 1-3 horse power extra depending on the size of the engine, If you find the float bowels dirty re black etc most likely your poilet needles are dirty with sooth deposits you can remove these and clean them with a peice of soft cotton do one at a time but screw them home lightly and count the turns by marking the screw driver handle first so you know exactly how many turns you need to reset them from being fully seated, if your needles have limiter caps or blank caps drill a small hole 1/8 in the cap and screw in a self tapping screw just a tread then pull the screw with a plyers and the caps should pop off,