Run away RPM's

More
24 Aug 2012 19:00 #544581 by richard_oxon
Replied by richard_oxon on topic Run away RPM's
i had a prob kinda like that with my 1979 kz1000 i cleaned the carbs i removed the carb boots and resealed them , was still the same . then i took the tank off and had a good look at the linkage , and i noticed that when i turned the thottle the spindle that runs tho all four the carbs , didnt move with the thottle maybe like 2mm of play on it ,i tightend up the bolt on the part the cables run in on the linkage and sorted the problem .. took me a while to work out what my prob was lol .. not saying thats your problem but its a simple thing to check ..

** KZ1000 B3 1979 ** 1015cc wiseco pistons 33 smoothbores ported head 410 cams
** KZ1000 A1 1977** 1075 wiseco pistons 438 megacycle cams ported head rs34 flat slides

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2012 22:52 #544621 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Run away RPM's
Check the timing advancer, the return springs get old and weak or the advancer is gummed up not allowing the timing to return. I had the exact symptoms on my GPz1100 and it was the advancer springs, they looked and seemed to operate fine when I checked them by hand but I ended up cutting a winding off each spring to make them shorter this fixed the problem.

More
25 Aug 2012 03:10 #544659 by wharfearp
Replied by wharfearp on topic Run away RPM's
I'm having a very similar problem on my 79 kz400. The engine will stick at around 3000rpm when the throttle is rolled off, but I am not able to force the throttle forward any to rev it down. When it sticks, the only way to bring the rpms down is to engage the clutch.

• bearanddragon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Aug 2012 12:32 #545276 by bearanddragon
Replied by bearanddragon on topic Run away RPM's
Thanks for all the suggestions. This thing is driving me nuts! Checked the timing advance and lubed, it's working perfect. Think I've had these damn carbs off five times now. When the bike is off the slides operate smoothly and close very easily but I did notice that when it's running there seems to be a spot that something is "catching" just before they close completely. Looks like I'll be pulling them off again tonight to see what that's all about.

More
30 Aug 2012 16:57 - 30 Aug 2012 16:57 #545697 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Run away RPM's
Like I said the timing advancer will look and feel normal. I would still cut a coil off the springs at least to elimnate them as the problem.
Last edit: 30 Aug 2012 16:57 by baldy110.

More
31 Aug 2012 15:22 #545902 by silentchris
Replied by silentchris on topic Run away RPM's
baldy110 what did you use to lube the advancer im having the same issue

Speed is only a question of money. How fast do you wanna go?
1978 kz1000 ltd
Hailing from the wild suburbs of our nations capital

More
31 Aug 2012 23:07 #545965 by vernons
Replied by vernons on topic Run away RPM's
is this bike have points or electronic ignition??? if it has points it sounds similar to my 76 900ltd when i first got it.. had the same problem with engine idle and revving way up just like your describing.. as a last resort i checked the points gap and they were almost completely shut,, once i got the points cleaned and regapped the bike idled and run perfect.. would have bet money it was in the carbs but it was point gap...

• Nitro Mick
  • User
  • 1984 GPz1100 & 1976 Z900
More
31 Aug 2012 23:19 #545971 by Nitro Mick
Replied by Nitro Mick on topic Run away RPM's
Had a similar problem after using Motorex Joker440 synthetic spray lube while re-assembling carbs. Sprayed the cables and twistgrip barrel as well as carb linkages. Very tacky product and stayed incredibly thick. Almost grease-like. Cleaned it all out and re-lubed with silicone and problem disappeared.

I used to be playswithnitro but; it happens...