jet block assembly on 29 smoothbores

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
07 Aug 2012 00:15 - 07 Aug 2012 06:11 #541129 by DoctoRot
jet block assembly on 29 smoothbores was created by DoctoRot
So i took out the jet blocks when i was cleaning the carbs. I put a new gasket on there and reinstalled them. There is some and play in the block before it is tightened down, it can spin slightly. I am concerned that the the pilot outlet is not lining up properly with the hole in the jet block. Since the hole is so small it will present a problem if the jet block is off even a little bit. I have been unsuccessful in tracking down any info on this. Any tips?

Last edit: 07 Aug 2012 06:11 by DoctoRot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
07 Aug 2012 08:18 - 07 Aug 2012 08:22 #541157 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic jet block assembly on 29 smoothbores
If I rem right...the gasket will slightly stick if it is moistened. Slightly wet the gasket, apply the gasket and it shouldnt be easy to move. Make sure you have the screw hole lined up...wait a few mins and screw it down....be gentle. You did rem to install the screws right?? (seen with red circle)if this is installed the jet block willnot turn. Then install the pilot...don’t over tighten the pilot as it will crack, break or strip the threads on the jet block.

Attachment VM29035-Copy.JPG not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Aug 2012 08:22 by 4TheKZ1000.

More
07 Aug 2012 09:26 - 07 Aug 2012 22:03 #541167 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic jet block assembly on 29 smoothbores

4TheKZ1000 wrote: ...

Attachment VM29035-Copy.JPG not found

If the throttle slide seems to be rubbing or binding instead of smoothly operating, check to assure that the screw isn't over-tightened.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 07 Aug 2012 22:03 by Patton.

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
07 Aug 2012 16:59 #541213 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic jet block assembly on 29 smoothbores
those are some mighty clean carbs! I put a touch of grease on the block to hold the gasket in place, and got the screw in there, but i noticed when i was tightening the jet down the block spun slightly. maybe im being paranoid but the importance of a unobstructed pilot circuit was drilled into my head so i wanted to be sure, but eh, i guess ill see when i start it up for the first time.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
07 Aug 2012 21:08 - 07 Aug 2012 21:10 #541260 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic jet block assembly on 29 smoothbores
JUST TAKE YOUR TIME, YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING....YOUR GET IT. IM A OLD STEEL WORKER, SO I USED A SMALL DRIFT ON MINE TO KEEP GASKET / BLOCK STRIGHT DURING ASSEMBLY. IT WAS 5 INCHES LONG WITH A 90 DEG BEND ON IT. THE TIP WAS 3/8 INCH LONG WITH A TAPERED TIP, PUT IN HOLE AND SNUGGED IT...WORKED GREAT.
Last edit: 07 Aug 2012 21:10 by 4TheKZ1000.

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
08 Aug 2012 05:08 #541325 by DoctoRot

4TheKZ1000 wrote: JUST TAKE YOUR TIME, YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING....YOUR GET IT. IM A OLD STEEL WORKER, SO I USED A SMALL DRIFT ON MINE TO KEEP GASKET / BLOCK STRIGHT DURING ASSEMBLY. IT WAS 5 INCHES LONG WITH A 90 DEG BEND ON IT. THE TIP WAS 3/8 INCH LONG WITH A TAPERED TIP, PUT IN HOLE AND SNUGGED IT...WORKED GREAT.

thats the type of smart thinking i was looking for. thanks.

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
17 Sep 2012 00:02 - 17 Sep 2012 00:05 #549170 by DoctoRot
Ive been meaning to post this info up in case some one is looking for it in the future.

I went back and looked at the jet blocks and had realized it was pretty obvious. there is a slot at the top of the jet block so you can stick something down into the hole to make sure it aligns with the pilot circuit. I went back and loosened the jet blocks and re-tightened them holding a needle tool in the hole to align them. I'm glad i did, as two of the blocks were not fully aligned, i could feel the needle slide in more once i loosened the blocks.

Last edit: 17 Sep 2012 00:05 by DoctoRot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
17 Sep 2012 09:56 #549205 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic jet block assembly on 29 smoothbores

DoctoRot wrote: Ive been meaning to post this info up in case some one is looking for it in the future.

I went back and looked at the jet blocks and had realized it was pretty obvious. there is a slot at the top of the jet block so you can stick something down into the hole to make sure it aligns with the pilot circuit. I went back and loosened the jet blocks and re-tightened them holding a needle tool in the hole to align them. I'm glad i did, as two of the blocks were not fully aligned, i could feel the needle slide in more once i loosened the blocks.

What is that you are using to align the jet block? Mighty young looking hands...you a doctor or something?

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

More
17 Sep 2012 12:04 - 17 Sep 2012 12:05 #549226 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic jet block assembly on 29 smoothbores
Am recalling screw #13 orients the jet block for correct alignment.
And if screwed in too tightly, will distort fitment enough to prevent proper clearance for operation of the throttle slide.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Sep 2012 12:05 by Patton.