Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

THIS is why you add an inline filter 06 Apr 2012 20:21 #514453

• Medina
  • Medina's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Added an inline filter. I'll never run another bike without one.

Very cheap insurance, even at 3.00 each- replaced the fuel lines with 1/4" filter is .25 ID/OD- quality high pressure clamps, not pinch on.
Rust, dirt, paint chip- yes a large primer gray paint fleck (top middle of filter)
Last year after a flooded gas-oil headache, and refusing to pay the money for a new petcock, I modified the factory one to full on/full off. Ditched the factory tank filter- the original was horrible, and the one I got from a local dealer looked like total garbage made in ROC-didn't fit properly, you could see where it might let some crap past its mated edge to the tank.. bleh.

click for full sized photo- its pretty amazing
img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/HawgDog/fuelfilter.jpg

1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Medina.

THIS is why you add an inline filter 06 Apr 2012 21:13 #514466

• hypnohio
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
pretty nasty looking stuff. I think I'll change my filter tomorrow...it's been a while.
1982 KZ440 LTD
2003 EN500 C
2006 Virago 250

THIS is why you add an inline filter 06 Apr 2012 23:00 #514477

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
A tank rinse wouldn't hurt you. Someone posted recently about using straight vinegar, I think. Worked pretty well, won't harm the paint. Of course you need to let it soak for quite a while.

THIS is why you add an inline filter 07 Apr 2012 00:13 #514489

• Medina
  • User
I really wonder where that much crap came from, mid, maybe late summer, I did a tank rinse with muratic acid, then baking soda after and then denatured alcohol, it 'looked' super clean.
Probably a good, cheap idea, another tank rinse...
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread

THIS is why you add an inline filter 07 Apr 2012 00:47 #514495

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
I bet it clung around the petcock bung. :whistle:

Seriously though, if you did an acid clean it probably was sitting by where the screen normally is above the petcock.

THIS is why you add an inline filter 07 Apr 2012 01:08 #514496

• T_Dub
  • User
  • Thank you received: 25
Yup, running a filter is a very cheap way to protect your carbs and keep your bike running.
1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

THIS is why you add an inline filter 07 Apr 2012 01:47 #514502

• cfaherty
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have mixed feelings over too much fuel filtering due to the extra maintenance. I have in the past had to replace small inline filters several times during the year due to sudden clogging. I have also had some of them break in half. I always carried a full length of fuel line just in case :-)

Most times I just stick with the stock petcock screen. Honestly the only thing I care about is the carb float valves getting clogged. That can be irritating but the petcock screen takes that risk away.

I understand that the vacuum-actuated petcock has a bad reputation, but I am enjoying mine after cleaning it up.
1983 KZ750 F1 LTD Shaft

THIS is why you add an inline filter 07 Apr 2012 08:09 #514523

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

cfaherty wrote: I have mixed feelings over too much fuel filtering due to the extra maintenance. I have in the past had to replace small inline filters several times during the year due to sudden clogging. I have also had some of them break in half. I always carried a full length of fuel line just in case :-)
Most times I just stick with the stock petcock screen. Honestly the only thing I care about is the carb float valves getting clogged. That can be irritating but the petcock screen takes that risk away.
I understand that the vacuum-actuated petcock has a bad reputation, but I am enjoying mine after cleaning it up.

Imo, fuel tank interior needs cleaning, and left in existing condition will continue causing clogged petcock and clogged in-line fuel filters.

The petcock screen helps sift out the larger particles of grit, but a good after-market in-line fuel filter provides superior filtration.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

THIS is why you add an inline filter 07 Apr 2012 09:30 #514532

• Medina
  • User
I'm not a huge fan of this style of filter. Hours of searching has convinced me they are not 100% free flow- sintered bronze and screens flow better..but, wont catch the crap this one did.
I posted this last year for input- this is the followup sort of- HOWEVER- sometimes things stack up to create problems. i.e. this bike- around 100 miles of driving would fuel starve coast to the side of the road (it started doing this before when I first got it) the inline screens had a tiny bit of stuff- cleaned all same problem. Cleaned vent cap, same problem. Removed tank, cleaned it, cleaned tank screen, same problem. New tank screen looked cheap (as noted)put inline filter in, replaced lines with 1/4". Problem seemed to go away.
Second tank full this year the problem returned. Pulled vent off, vent hole while open had some maybe paint round the edges, tiny drills opened it up...same problem. (yeah, should have looked at filter) Anyhow, pulled it and tada!
Best thing about this scooter, is the storage- tools, filters, road flare, so its handy. I am going to put LOTS of miles on this in 2012.
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread

THIS is why you add an inline filter 07 Apr 2012 16:13 #514567

• mtkawboy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Ive never had any luck with paper filters in Montana. I dont know why but they always stop flowing gas after a few weeks and theres nothing visable in them. Its done it on 3 different bikes so I use the 2 peice brass ones. They dont filter as well but they work. Im listening if anyone has any theories or has had the same experience. You gotta clean that tank out soon man !
78-KZ1000/1105, 80 KZ1000, 82 Kawasaki GPZ750, 95 Harley Fatboy, 80 Suzuki GS1100ET, 81 GS1100E parts bike, 83 GS1100SD Katana/1394,78 Yamaha XT500, 81 Yamaha XS650, 78 Yamaha XS650E, 48 Whizzer model J motorbike, 71 Honda CT70H, 71 Honda CT70, 81 IT 250 Yamaha,82 Honda XL100S owned

Last edit: by mtkawboy.

THIS is why you add an inline filter 07 Apr 2012 16:25 #514569

• Medina
  • User
paper filters?
I agree with your observations. I'm pretty sure its here somewhere- not a solution, but an explanation of sorts about paper filters- they work too well!
Theres a photo of an empty soda liter bottle turned upside down in the guys post
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread

THIS is why you add an inline filter 07 Apr 2012 16:47 #514571

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Sometimes crud accumulates on the petcock screens that protrude up into the fuel tank.

Would remove, disassemble, and clean the petcock.

And also, remove the fuel tank and take necessary steps to clean it internally. At the minimum a thorough flush (several fills with whatever, and fast-dump upside down through the open cap). May require more severe methods, such as muratic acid, OR b-b's, sheet metal screws, chain, etc., and tumbled in the clothes dryer while well secured with padding, cushions,blankets, quilts, etc., OR other methods.

Until the tank interior is pristine, the petcock screens will continue clogging, as will the in-line filter.

And the grit and crud not stopped by the petcock screens and in-line filter will find its way to the fuel valve.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.