Fuel Overflow On My stock 77 KZ650 B1

More
25 Sep 2012 08:19 - 25 Sep 2012 11:28 #550751 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Fuel Overflow On My stock 77 KZ650 B1
Some petcocks have a small spring to hold a plastic cone snugly in its position inside the petcock.

It's easy to lose the spring, or simply forget about it.

When reassembling the petcock, be sure to include the small spring.

Without the spring, the cone won't fit snugly, and some fuel will leak around the cone instead of all fuel flow being contained within the hole through the cone.

As I recall, it's also possible to erroneously insert the cone 180° off.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Sep 2012 11:28 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2012 11:25 #550765 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Fuel Overflow On My stock 77 KZ650 B1
Yea check for the spring. Otherwise there is no magic to this petcock, If you get tired of the manual piece of utter crap, any similar era vacuum petcock with the same mount bolts right up. You can use a 78 up KZ650 vacuum petcock and just run the vacuum line down to one of your sync nipples on any of the 4 intake manifolds. There is still something wrong though, because on a properly set and working set of carbs gas will never leak even if the petcock is left on.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
25 Sep 2012 12:02 #550768 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Fuel Overflow On My stock 77 KZ650 B1
Fuel discharge from the carb overflow often results from an imperfect float valve, perhaps from dirt or grit preventing a perfect interface between the pointed tip of the float needle and the orifice in the float needle seat.

Various methods may be employed toward removing any such crud from the interface.
• SeaFoam added to fuel in the tank;
• Rapping smartly against the float bowl with a plastic mallet while the engine is at idle rpm;
• Flushing -- by allowing fuel to flow through with the drain open;
• Disassembly and cleaning the needle and orifice (and perhaps using a q-tip chucked in a drill).

Or the float needle may be worn out, perhaps evidenced by a groove in the pointed end where it fits into the seat orifice.

A leaking or sunk float may also fail to close the float valve.

And a hanging or sticking float may also fail to close the float valve.

A float installed upside-down will fail to close the float valve.

Another possible cause for fuel discharge from the carb overflow could be a cracked or loose overflow tube (inside the float bowl), which is often repairable.

The float tang adjustment -- which sets float height to achieve correct fuel level -- usually isn't reponsible for fuel discharging out the overflow. Because a correct tang setting does not spontaneouly get out of whack incident to normal use and riding of the motorcycle.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Forrest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
25 Sep 2012 17:08 #550814 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic Fuel Overflow On My stock 77 KZ650 B1
Thank You Gentlemen! Thank You! Patton, more great info! Ron and Ed, also great stuff. I knew that I should have checked back here first but in the meantime: I placed an order from Z-1 Enterprises for a Vacuum Petcock, $64.40 including shipping. This looks slightly better than the current EBay bid on the gravity fed one just like my original. I wonder if I lost that spring when I last put the petcock back together. I will have to disassemble to find out. Who knows, I may have a working petcock and don't even know it. :pinch: Maybe get a spring at Ace Hardware? Again, thanks to all of you for some absolutely awesome info and pics. Will post the final outcome in hopes others do not need to go through this experience.

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
25 Sep 2012 19:43 #550847 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Fuel Overflow On My stock 77 KZ650 B1
floats offset?

• Forrest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
27 Feb 2013 17:38 #574429 by Forrest
Didn't mean to ignore this thread. Thanks again to everyone for your interest and feedback. I don't think the floats sticking or offset is the problem. I do know that since putting the Z1 Enterprise supplied Suzuki vacuum petcock, I have experienced irregular fueling. I got the bike running put more fuel in at gas station and then went out on my favorite stretch of open road. I opend the KZ up to 90-100mph and then the bike behaved as though I had run out of gas. I sat there on the side of the road fussing with the fuel line, kink? and such. Waited, then bike fired right back up. I rode home at a more relaxed pace. Now the real kicker is I have not been able to start the bike since. It acts as though fuel is not being delivered. I wonder if I have not got the proper vacuum line set up. I did test the lines and do have vacuum. Not sure of the problem. I just wish I would NEVER have lost the original petcock spring that kept the cone in the sealed position. See Patton's diagram. I need a spring! or need to get this vacuum petcock to work! Otherwise this ole KZ is flawless! Thoughts/ideas are welcome.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
27 Feb 2013 17:59 #574435 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Fuel Overflow On My stock 77 KZ650 B1
so there is fuel coming out of the bottom of the carbs, my best guess- and I have been wrong on my guesses in the past- I think maybe the o-ring on the screw on the bottom of the float bowl may be bad, the float bowl itself may be cracked. this causing the fuel to exit the carburetor before it fills up again. so the problem you are dealing with is more in the carburetors than the fuel supply.

• Forrest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
27 Feb 2013 18:22 #574441 by Forrest
I will check it out Don. Glad you noticed the posting since you were last to reply a few months back. Thank you!

• Forrest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
06 May 2013 09:52 #585955 by Forrest
Epilogue Update:
- Went from fuel leaking past the petcock causing fuel overflow issues.
- Small spring in the stock fuel petcock lost during disassembly or reassembly, causing the fuel to leak past petcock via gravity.
- Installed new fuel petcock, vacuum type, now fuel not reaching the carbs and intake. Kinked vacuum line the culprit. Also went from single carb vacuum to a dual carb vacuum via a T connector for the vacuum line of the fuel petcock.
-Still had starting issues. Discovered the battery had gone through so many charging cycles that almost all the water in the cells had been cooked off. I replenished the depleted battery cells AND YES! Bike starts and fuels just fine. The battery had been clouding the fueling issue but I did learn the vacuum line can kink. The aftermarket vacuum petcock is really made for vintage Suzukis and there is a tight fit in relation to the vacuum connection. Actually both the vacuum and fuel connector point rearwards and almost into the frame.

Moral of the story: You can turn a simple problem or bike issue into a complex one if you do not check the basics such as battery level after long storage and fuel line/vacuum line kinks or restrictions. Thanks to everyone for sharing info. Rode the bike this weekend over 100 miles without any issues.

More
20 May 2013 23:57 #588448 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic Fuel Overflow On My stock 77 KZ650 B1
Vacuum petcocks are junk,always have been always will be.
Invented for lazy yuppies, if you can't turn the petcock off when you park, you have no business riding a bike :whistle:

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
21 May 2013 13:50 #588541 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Fuel Overflow On My stock 77 KZ650 B1
Mine works fine

78 KZ1000 A2A
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrest

More
21 May 2013 14:58 - 21 May 2013 14:59 #588557 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Fuel Overflow On My stock 77 KZ650 B1
Never had any problem with mine.

Glad to hear the 650 is up and running. B)
Last edit: 21 May 2013 14:59 by loudhvx.