Pod filters re jet cv carbs

• gumby prichard
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 May 2011 23:31 #454431 by gumby prichard
Replied by gumby prichard on topic Pod filters re jet cv carbs
UPDATE: I checked the plugs and noticed it was too lean, so i jetted up to 92....still to lean so i jumped all the way to 100. thought it was good, but still too lean. so i got my 105's the next day. It runs great! so i am now at main jet #105

only problem i am having is a when in a lower gear like 5th or 6th and about half throttle if you choose to accelerate it basically does a little hiccup or hesitates a little. Also, after running at a constant speed for a while, and stopping and idling it sometimes stalls. Techs at my work said to raise the needle....i tried, and with this particular slide design if you try to put shims on the needle it tends to make the need too stiff so the slide doesn't slide freely.

I was thinking instead i should try increasing the slow jet.

any suggestions on increasing the slow jet? or another way to raise the needle? basically how the needle works is there is the needle then a plastic bushing type thing, then a circlip.....if you put a shim under the needle, it pushes the needle tight against that bushing which the circlip holds in.....

thanks in advance!

78 kz750 twin
77 yz125
91 cr250
99 dr650

ex's:
78 kz400 b1
89 yz80
99 klx300

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2011 07:16 - 31 May 2011 07:17 #454468 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic Pod filters re jet cv carbs

gumby prichard wrote: OK! Since no one likes 400's on here, or cv carbs,

There is nothing wrong with a 400. There is nothing wrong with CV carbs (I absolutely love them for crisp street tunability and drivability). Many of us have very bad attitudes towards pods. You will soon begin to understand what we mean with respect to jetting a street driven 400 with pods, without the aid of professional tuning and a dyno..... good luck, and keep your sotck airbox handy (if you didn't throw it away)

PS did you read how many times I said "street driven " ??

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy
Last edit: 31 May 2011 07:17 by Polar_Bus.

• gumby prichard
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 May 2011 18:47 #454574 by gumby prichard
I love my pods. They have been working great, besides these little drawbacks. and why would i be driving it on anything but street.....there aren't many dirt roads in tennessee. So, thanks for nothing.....anyway back to what i was saying, if anyone has any suggestions on changing the slow jet or raising the needle id greatly appreciate it!

78 kz750 twin
77 yz125
91 cr250
99 dr650

ex's:
78 kz400 b1
89 yz80
99 klx300

More
01 Jun 2011 00:12 - 01 Jun 2011 00:18 #454677 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Pod filters re jet cv carbs
Since it's easy to check, I would check the valve lash. If the valve lash is too small, and the motor is hot, like just after a hard run, the valves won't seat all the way and that can cause a stall.

After that, if it's still getting that dead spot, there's a chance it's too rich. Does it just hesitate or does it seem like it wants to pop in the exhaust?

Your feeling to not shim the needle is a good one. That stiffness is bad for the needle and needle-jet. It will cause scraping if it doesn't have a tiny bit of wiggle. My buddy using the piston CV's from the earlier KZ400's never had to change his needle position. Hopefully you won't have to either, but like I said, I'm not familiar enough with the diaphragm type carbs.

Isn't there also a third circuit you can fool with? There is on the piston carbs, which I think is why we didn't mess with the needle. We just changed the transitional main jetting.

We did swap out the slow jets on his bike to richen up the idle a little. I think we used some out of Honda CB350 carbs. But the change was only minimal #35 to #37.

Like I said, we had big changes in the air jets, but I don't think you should mess with those on yours.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2011 00:18 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gumby prichard

• gumby prichard
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jun 2011 01:25 #454687 by gumby prichard
ok loudhvx that will be my next step, to go up in the slow(pilot) jet! you've been very helpful.

I plan on adjusting my valves when i do my complete restoration this month! Ill let you know how it goes!

recently i was riding on the interstate going about 70mph(not going to lie, i knew i was pushing it) then i started bogging down. Ended up riding all the way home(about 10 miles) on one cylinder doing 30 to 40 with no acceleration. I should have just let it cool off but i was afraid it wouldn't start back up. anyway i got home let it cool for 10 minutes (it was still scortching) and i started it and it ran like a champ.....weird....anyway i decided to go ahead and change the piston rings, possibly just whole new pistons and bore it out. and just do the whole restoration... tank frame, all around clean the engine.

so i will be back with results in about a month. thanks so much loudhvx for your help.

78 kz750 twin
77 yz125
91 cr250
99 dr650

ex's:
78 kz400 b1
89 yz80
99 klx300

• gumby prichard
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jun 2011 11:21 #454744 by gumby prichard
oh, and it's more of a hesitation than popping

78 kz750 twin
77 yz125
91 cr250
99 dr650

ex's:
78 kz400 b1
89 yz80
99 klx300

More
01 Jun 2011 15:23 - 01 Jun 2011 15:25 #454794 by Polar_Bus

gumby prichard wrote: I love my pods. They have been working great, besides these little drawbacks. and why would i be driving it on anything but street.....there aren't many dirt roads in tennessee. So, thanks for nothing.....anyway back to what i was saying, if anyone has any suggestions on changing the slow jet or raising the needle id greatly appreciate it!

I apoligise I didn't take you for a genius tuner. I'll remember your cocky attitude the next time you ask the same question that 1000's of other novice tuner's ask which is "how do i get my podded bike to run right".... :P

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy
Last edit: 01 Jun 2011 15:25 by Polar_Bus.

More
01 Jun 2011 17:35 #454817 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Pod filters re jet cv carbs

gumby prichard wrote: I love my pods. They have been working great, besides these little drawbacks. and why would i be driving it on anything but street.....there aren't many dirt roads in tennessee. So, thanks for nothing.....anyway back to what i was saying, if anyone has any suggestions on changing the slow jet or raising the needle id greatly appreciate it!

Sounding a little touchy there. But we forgive you, it's not unusual for CV pod users to get a bit frustrated. Keep at it and you'll have them working as well as an airbox in no time...:P

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
01 Jun 2011 17:56 #454820 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Pod filters re jet cv carbs
I love my pods. They have been working great, besides these little drawbacks.

I did think that was an unintentional humorous statement. They are the best!

But the "thanks for nothing" made me wish for an ignore user button.
Not sure why people do that. Attitude is not likely to get people to help you.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

• gumby prichard
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jun 2011 21:04 #454848 by gumby prichard
Well I'm glad you have time to make unnecessary posts....instead of doing something productive. I'm sure if you added all the time you have spent posting discouraging comments, you could have found out the perfect jetting/tuning for your own cv carb pods, but no, it always feels better to discourage others because you weren't able to do it yourself, right?

at the age of 45 i would think your time would be more valuable than posting negative comments on a forum, oh wait....let me guess you're retired.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: B)

78 kz750 twin
77 yz125
91 cr250
99 dr650

ex's:
78 kz400 b1
89 yz80
99 klx300

• gumby prichard
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jun 2011 21:07 #454849 by gumby prichard
....im asking for help, not discouragement or a negative opinion. Why bother...

78 kz750 twin
77 yz125
91 cr250
99 dr650

ex's:
78 kz400 b1
89 yz80
99 klx300

More
02 Jun 2011 07:16 - 02 Jun 2011 11:42 #454927 by Polar_Bus

gumby prichard wrote: Well I'm glad you have time to make unnecessary posts....instead of doing something productive. I'm sure if you added all the time you have spent posting discouraging comments, you could have found out the perfect jetting/tuning for your own cv carb pods, but no, it always feels better to discourage others because you weren't able to do it yourself, right?

at the age of 45 i would think your time would be more valuable than posting negative comments on a forum, oh wait....let me guess you're retired.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: B)

Dude, considering the fact you have a 33 posts and your opening comment read quote: "OK! Since no one likes 400's on here, or cv carbs, i decided to make a thread for re-jetting cv carbs for pod filters....." end quote.
I immediately knew you have an attitude and more mouth than skill. Here's a tip for future sucess when asking a question that has already been asked thousands of times . DO SOME SEARCHING FIRST AND ADD A LITTLE POLITENESS TO YOUR POST...... you ain't the first person ever to ask about jetting with pods and you're not going to be the last. The idea of a new member joing a forum is to be polite make some friends, not have a cocky attitude and shoot your mouth off to people trying to share experiences that could potentially save you a lot of frustrations.

I'm politely done with this dude and this thread.

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy
Last edit: 02 Jun 2011 11:42 by Polar_Bus.