Manometer idea for carb sync's

More
03 May 2006 08:21 #44773 by OKC_Kent
Manometer idea for carb sync's was created by OKC_Kent
I've seen the homemade manometer with a clear tube and yardstick, and it handles two carbs. I was wondering, if this was made and a 4-way adapter used to connect 4 hoses, so all 4 carbs can be checked together....would this work or does the idea only work for 2 vacuum sources?

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2006 08:53 #44777 by NormZ
Replied by NormZ on topic Manometer idea for carb sync's
Interesting idea. If you put the 4-way adaptor at the "bottom" of the yardstick I don't see why it wouldn't work. Worth a try anyway.

I use the homemade manometer you're referring to sync my carbs 2 at a time. Works well but takes three steps (sync 1&2, then 3&4, then 2&3).

I do recommend filling the tube with a liquid thicker than water. Reason is that if your carbs aren't closely synched to begin with you'll suck all the water from your manomater into the carbs within seconds...probably even quicker with the "4-way" idea. I use 5w30 motor oil. I've heard that ATF fluid works well also. Also, the yardstick may not be tall enough. I use a 6' 1x6 with a fluid height of 3'.

More
03 May 2006 09:13 #44782 by kx_125_pilot
Replied by kx_125_pilot on topic Manometer idea for carb sync's
what is a manometer, and how does it work? how do you sync yur carbs with it??

• wireman
  • Visitor
03 May 2006 09:27 #44785 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Manometer idea for carb sync's
used to measure vacuam. adjust carbs till vacuam numbers are same(real simple explanation,one of the tech types will elaborate better im sure!:woohoo: )do you have access to a set of vacuam gauges?its a lot safer than the mercury we used to use to sync carbs ;)

More
03 May 2006 09:34 #44789 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Manometer idea for carb sync's
kx_125_pilot wrote:

It's basically a vacume gauge, and you use it to set the carbs (either butterflies or slides) so the vacume is equal on all carbs.
As to using oil instead of water, I'd think that you would want to use the heaviest liquid possible in order to avoid sucking it into your motor (do "Not" rev the motor). Water is heavier than oil (oil floats on top of water), and mercury is heavier than water (mercury is normally used in the professional manometers).

Wireman beat me to it :D

Interesting point about mercury being dangerous, I imagine there are a lot of other oldtimers like me that used to play around with mercury when we were kids, roll it around in our hands and so forth.
Recently (last year) the local library was closed, all the books removed and stored in storage containers, and a HazMat team called in to decontaminate the library, all because a fluorescent light bulb broke, and a tiny amount of mercury escaped.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/05/03 12:42

KD9JUR

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
03 May 2006 09:49 #44793 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Manometer idea for carb sync's
steell wrote:

...Interesting point about mercury being dangerous...

This is the reason I got a Morgan Carbtune. No murcury, just steel tubes. I didn't want to pay more. Who does? But I just dont' need more deadly chemicals around me, my wife, my children, etc...

www.carbtune.com/

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
03 May 2006 09:57 #44796 by buz0340
Replied by buz0340 on topic Manometer idea for carb sync's
well ill put my 2 cents in and see what you guys think. your idea about hooking all 4 carbs up at once will not work if your using the homemade manometer that im thinking of. the one that checks two carbs at a time will only find the difference of these two. so when the liquid levels are equal, the pressures are equal. now if you try to do 3 or four at one time, the pressure you read is the average pressure of the multiple carbs. so one carb could have a extremelly high pressure and one with no pressure and your "average" would appear to be normal. hopefully, im in the ballpark.

buzz

• wireman
  • Visitor
03 May 2006 10:09 #44799 by wireman
steell wrote:

kx_125_pilot wrote:

It's basically a vacume gauge, and you use it to set the carbs (either butterflies or slides) so the vacume is equal on all carbs.
As to using oil instead of water, I'd think that you would want to use the heaviest liquid possible in order to avoid sucking it into your motor (do "Not" rev the motor). Water is heavier than oil (oil floats on top of water), and mercury is heavier than water (mercury is normally used in the professional manometers).

Wireman beat me to it :D dont worry we'll keep it as our little secret!hahaha

Interesting point about mercury being dangerous, I imagine there are a lot of other oldtimers like me that used to play around with mercury when we were kids, roll it around in our hands and so forth.
Recently (last year) the local library was closed, all the books removed and stored in storage containers, and a HazMat team called in to decontaminate the library, all because a fluorescent light bulb broke, and a tiny amount of mercury escaped.<br><br>Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/05/03 12:42

yeah we used to play around with the little silver ball bearing looking globs too,we didnt have video games back then so we had to make due with what we had for entertainment!:S :whistle: :woohoo: :

More
03 May 2006 10:37 #44810 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Manometer idea for carb sync's
Your manometer should have calibrated restrictors to stop the water from getting sucked in. ... or you could just use a 35-foot tall manometer... no amount of vacuum will pull the water up that high ;)

More
03 May 2006 11:10 #44815 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Manometer idea for carb sync's
The $1.55 Carb Syncronizer by Marty Ignazito

The objective of the vacuum measuring carb synchronizer is to see that the vacuum signals from both carbs are the same. It is the difference between the signals and not the actual signals we are interested in however.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/05/03 14:12

KD9JUR
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
03 May 2006 11:51 #44828 by wireman
ive never been able to pull more than 28-29" inches of vacuam even with my big ol vacuam pump so if your gauge is 3' tall i think it would be pretty hard to suck the water out of it.;)

More
03 May 2006 12:12 #44837 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Manometer idea for carb sync's
buz0340 wrote:

well ill put my 2 cents in and see what you guys think. your idea about hooking all 4 carbs up at once will not work if your using the homemade manometer that im thinking of. the one that checks two carbs at a time will only find the difference of these two. so when the liquid levels are equal, the pressures are equal. now if you try to do 3 or four at one time, the pressure you read is the average pressure of the multiple carbs. so one carb could have a extremelly high pressure and one with no pressure and your "average" would appear to be normal. hopefully, im in the ballpark.

buzz

This is what I was wondering... would they tend to average out or show false readings? It seems like it would doesn't it?

Now about the 4 tube systems like Morgan, each tube is separate from the others, correct? How does it pull up a steel tube, there must be a designed air leak in it somehow, yes?

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles