Over it!

• lobstermobster
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2010 14:02 #406629 by lobstermobster
Over it! was created by lobstermobster
this bike is becoming a reallll pain. anyway, rewired the bike and put cheap-o pod filters.( yaya im stupid w/e). running real lean (supposedly allready lean from the factory, so the no ristriction pod filters didnt help) looked on kz info got some info. Got the dyna jet kit. came with 118 mains and i order 17.5 pilots according to what kz650 info said.
Installed the jet kit and the pilots today, and its still running like shit. starts up ok, idles alright could be better i guess. but cant even get up to 1/4 throttle with out it just dying. even if it is warmed up. it does it ever time, you can throttle slow or gun it and it still just dies.
I dont know what to do.

1981 kz650 w/ flux capacitor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2010 14:07 #406630 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Over it!
Are valve clearances within specs?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
14 Oct 2010 16:05 - 14 Oct 2010 16:06 #406656 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Over it!
If your not a motorcycle mechanic, familiar with the Japanese models of this era, I would strongly suggest purchasing the Factory Service Manual, and performing the ENTIRE maintenence section before any purchasing/parts additions are made.

There are a minimum amount of specific nechanic tools you will require to make engine checks like suggested by Patton.

They are very simple, and cheap to correct in most instances, and if slightly off or not functioning perfectly, will cause all sorts of troubling issues.

It will save you $$$ and get your bike running.

Do it, just DO IT.

B)

Will it rev up fine with the choke engaged?!?!

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 14 Oct 2010 16:06 by TeK9iNe.

• lobstermobster
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2010 17:19 #406670 by lobstermobster
Replied by lobstermobster on topic Over it!
No. It will not rev up at all.

And I believe I have the shop manual for it. I am not that motorcycle or mechanically inclined, yet. My dad is and he has been helping me learn. The thing is, it ran fine untill I parked it last October. Over the winter I ripped off all the unnecessary stuff and at the end of this summer I finally got it all back together. I haven't touched anything on the engine, all I did was put pods on.

More
14 Oct 2010 17:22 #406671 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Over it!
Buy some sea foam and add to the gas if you haven't cleaned the carbs. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
14 Oct 2010 17:28 #406673 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Over it!
x2

then maybe if that does not work re-clean the carbs ...sounds like you got a spot you missed and it is blocked...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
14 Oct 2010 18:08 #406681 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Over it!
x3

• lobstermobster
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2010 19:37 #406727 by lobstermobster
@patton: I have not checked the valve clearances recently, I mentioned that to my pops and he thought it would be a good idea to check that. thanks.

And ill run some seafoam through there. We cleaned the carbs recently and they looks real good from the start. Checked them out today when we installed the jet kit and they looked good all around.

AND just to add.... there is lots of backfiring. real loud crackle and pop. I can hear it coming from the exhaust and the carbs. maybe that info will help someone determine what what i should check.

More
14 Oct 2010 19:58 #406734 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Over it!
Check your carb manifolds for ANY cracks or dry-rot.Any air sucking in there will create havoc.
Exhaust...any chance a critter made a home while it was parked?

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• lobstermobster
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2010 20:28 #406742 by lobstermobster
I'll check the manifolds. I put a brand new set on there last summer. I live in GA so with the cold winter and really hot and humid summer they could have gone bad. I have the stock exhaust on, so it would have to be a really tiny critter. And ive honestly never seen an animal in my garage before so if one did that one be pretty funny.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
14 Oct 2010 20:37 #406748 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Over it!
Check the Gas Tank Valve, Petcock, maybe the brass screen or little mesh filter is clogged with sediment???

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

• lobstermobster
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Oct 2010 22:10 - 19 Oct 2010 17:11 #407146 by lobstermobster
so i got it figured out, for now. For some reason recently have been having trouble finding the small diameter fuel hose in the right size, so my pops had just picked up some thick bulky shit. i think its almost a 1/2 inch wide. yeah,... well there was a fine line of not having enough, and then too much and it would be winding all over the place and there wouldnt be enough pressure to pass the fuel through the roller coaster of a fuel line. And that thick bulky shit wont bend, it just kinks. So if you look at it the wrong way it gets all *******.

so basically rigged up a new line with what we got and it ran like a champ, kinda. but ******** awesome compared to before we installed bigger jets. I even ripped it around my neighborhood for a few minutes. I was just rocking a tshirt and an open face helmet and it was allready getting cold as hell so only a for few min tonight.

So now, def need to get some smaller diameter fuel line, and just sync and mess with the mixture. hopefully ill be ready to roll soon.

Last edit: 19 Oct 2010 17:11 by Tony. Reason: inappropriate langauge