82 CSR 1000, removed air box for pod filters

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
01 Sep 2010 10:33 #395397 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic 82 CSR 1000, removed air box for pod filters
I switched my 81 CV BS34's CSR1000 back to the airbox after having pods for a while. Even after dyno-tuning it, it didnt seem to co-ordinate well with my driving habits on that bike (2-up, stop n' go...), sure had lots o' power on the highway though.

I stuck with the pods on the 79 VM28's LTD1000 as it seemed to not benefit up top quite as much as the big BS34 carbs, but remained smoother operating at lower rpm with rich enough jetting and smaller carb of course. Made the bike a blast on the highway and to really rip around, it keeps up on the top end with the CSR, but cant compete for torque off the line.

I like having the choice of both worlds. ;)

Cheers.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2010 10:36 #395399 by PaulsKZ1000LTD
Replied by PaulsKZ1000LTD on topic 82 CSR 1000, removed air box for pod filters
If you're looking for power, no one is going to replace just the airbox. You're replacing everything you can afford. So your "Again - replaced more than just pods" is ridiculous. It adds to the overall increase.
Thats like doing an awesome paint job on the sidecovers and spraying primer on the fenders and tank.

Go figure.....

1982 KZ1000 LTD K2. Resurrected, not restored :)

More
01 Sep 2010 10:41 - 01 Sep 2010 10:42 #395400 by 650ed
PaulsKZ1000LTD wrote:

If you're looking for power, no one is going to replace just the airbox. You're replacing everything you can afford. So your "Again - replaced more than just pods" is ridiculous. It adds to the overall increase.
Thats like doing an awesome paint job on the sidecovers and spraying primer on the fenders and tank.

Go figure.....

Paul, get a grip then read the original post:

"I have a 82 CSR 1000, I pulled the air box off of it and put individual foam pod filters on each carb, now I can hardly get it to start and when I do it runs like shit. I was curious if anyone else has done this?"

My point is that if the ONLY change made it to replace the airbox with pods he is not going to see monumental performance gains. Once again you have verified my assertion- thanks again. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 01 Sep 2010 10:42 by 650ed.

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
01 Sep 2010 10:44 #395402 by 9am53
PaulsKZ1000LTD wrote:

Go figure.....

I was thinking the same thing. Stock can be cool, but if you are looking for more power who is going to change JUST the airbox...I would think the exhaust would be the first to go, it was on my bike. The 30 year old exhausts are rusty and nasty, airboxes are just ugly, but they last.

More
01 Sep 2010 10:47 #395403 by PaulsKZ1000LTD
Replied by PaulsKZ1000LTD on topic 82 CSR 1000, removed air box for pod filters
If you replace the restrictive airbox, then you pretty much have to go to a bigger jet kit. More air means you need more gas. It'll run, but not how it should.

1982 KZ1000 LTD K2. Resurrected, not restored :)

More
01 Sep 2010 10:48 #395404 by AlienTech
Replied by AlienTech on topic 82 CSR 1000, removed air box for pod filters
650ed wrote:

AlienTech wrote:

I'm no bike carb expert, actually I don't know chit about bike carbs LOL!!

....But I put pods on my 03 ZRX1200. I had also replaced the exhaust with a complete TiForce setup....

Again - replaced more than just pods. Thanks for the verification of my assertion. ;)

Yep full disclosure :)

Pods look kuel, is that OK??

1976 KZ900

More
01 Sep 2010 11:11 - 01 Sep 2010 11:12 #395410 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 82 CSR 1000, removed air box for pod filters
Look, lets face it, in the future we're all going to be using pods...

Alright, where's Plummen? It's funnier when he does it. :blush:
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Sep 2010 11:12 by loudhvx.

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
01 Sep 2010 11:13 #395412 by WABBMW
I have BS32 carbs on my 650, instead of BS34s for the 1000 cc engines, but they are still CV carbs and very similar. The motorcycle ran well with the standard air box, but I wondered whether it would perform better with reduced intake restriction. So I removed the air filter and top nozzle from the airbox. (The top opening of the air box without the nozzle is about 4", as compared to about 1 1/2" for the ID of the nozzle.)

The bike ran very poorly. Probably only put out 1/4 of the previous power. Later, I increased the Main jets by 2 sizes and tried the same experiment again. It ran slightly better than before - perhaps 1/3 of the horsepower with the air box.

My point is - that with CV carbs - it may take considerable re-jetting; jet needles and changes before the motorcycle will put out more power. It obviously can be done, but not without other significant changes. My $0.01 worth.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

More
01 Sep 2010 11:14 #395413 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic 82 CSR 1000, removed air box for pod filters
thequam wrote:

I have a 82 CSR 1000, I pulled the air box off of it and put individual foam pod filters on each carb, now I can hardly get it to start and when I do it runs like shit. I was curious if anyone else has done this? I'm thinking i need to put a jet kit in it, but just wanted some more input. any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

We just got done arguing this very issue in this thread, so I won't type my thoughts all over again :

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=3&id=393572

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy

• seanbarney41
  • User
  • '79 kz1000 LTD '75 Honda CB750
More
01 Sep 2010 13:31 #395434 by seanbarney41
Replied by seanbarney41 on topic 82 CSR 1000, removed air box for pod filters
Maybe it's possible to settle this scientifically. How about we pick an emissary from both the pod camp and the airbox camp. Then we evaluate two bikes on a series of varying criteria- Dyno test, road course, drag strip, heavy traffic drivability, foul weather drivability, etc. Maybe limit other modifications to exhaust and jetting as it seems that everybody has to do this anyway. Assign a point value to each test. The camp with the most points at the end of all the tests wins. This site has guys with the same bike all over the world. If two can't get together for a scientific evaluation than maybe everybody just needs to admit the obvious- pods=higher performance at the price of easy maintenance and all around streetability, stock airbox=great for stock bikes and riders who appreciate originality and don't wan't to mess with it.

More
01 Sep 2010 17:55 #395482 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic 82 CSR 1000, removed air box for pod filters
WABBMW wrote:

I have BS32 carbs on my 650, instead of BS34s for the 1000 cc engines, but they are still CV carbs and very similar. The motorcycle ran well with the standard air box, but I wondered whether it would perform better with reduced intake restriction. So I removed the air filter and top nozzle from the airbox. (The top opening of the air box without the nozzle is about 4", as compared to about 1 1/2" for the ID of the nozzle.)

The bike ran very poorly. Probably only put out 1/4 of the previous power. Later, I increased the Main jets by 2 sizes and tried the same experiment again. It ran slightly better than before - perhaps 1/3 of the horsepower with the air box.

My point is - that with CV carbs - it may take considerable re-jetting; jet needles and changes before the motorcycle will put out more power. It obviously can be done, but not without other significant changes. My $0.01 worth.

Frome what i've read, those who have experienced any type of hp gains with pods had to richen the mains by 8-10 jet sizes !

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy