probable carb problem, looking for some opinions.

More
22 Aug 2010 21:34 #393140 by danhalen
Thanks for the reply's, the soft brass head of the idle screw gave way so now i must get a new screw. Looks like ill be taking it apart....yet again. I saw the carb cleaner coming out of the other pilot holes, but will clean again when i get a rebuild kit for the new idle screw. I believe when i cleaned it the first time i was able to blow air through it, was using a can of canned air.

1980 kz550 c1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2010 00:20 #393143 by danhalen
just a update, i took the bowl off and was able to blow air through/carb cleaner through the idle screw hole down through the pilot jet. so that doesn't seem to be the problem.
One other thought i had was to check the vacuum line running up to the fuel petcock, that connects to cyl #4. anyone know where else to check for a idle air mixture screw? bike bandit didn't seem to have one, and z1 only seems to sell the whole carb rebuild kit.

1980 kz550 c1

More
07 Oct 2010 23:19 #405152 by wargoth
was looking through some old threads, and was wondering if you ever resolved this problem?

I would have tested the spark plug cap after getting shocked. The resistance test for this should show the resistance to be around 4k-5k ohms. would explain why the #4 wasnt firing properly and the zap. Can show a spark at the plug, but still not have enough power for combustion under pressure.