Pods, Mac Headers,=What carb set-up

More
18 Aug 2010 19:47 #392021 by csrjoe
Pods, Mac Headers,=What carb set-up was created by csrjoe
I have a 83 csr 650 that is running good but still is sucking gas mileage at an estimated 70 miles a tank full. I believe I have a 2.8 gals. a tank. So what I like to hear what you think about the carb setting should be. She'll be in the shop on friday to set the carbs. It also has pods new, and a Mac header new.
My estimate is its still running a bit rich. In second gear at 5 to 6.5 rpm she bucks and spits and then smooths out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
19 Aug 2010 09:47 #392137 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Pods, Mac Headers,=What carb set-up
it sounds like it may be rich on the pilot or needle.
what jetting do u have? is it stock jetting?
was everything good before u added the pods and header?
is that all u did?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
19 Aug 2010 12:28 #392163 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Pods, Mac Headers,=What carb set-up
If those are CV carbs on that CSR, and you hvae to ask - then get a JetKit, as you deffinately will need new needle tapers and change the slide rate.

Hell, even if there slide carbs, then get a JetKit, just makes things soooo much easier.

GL.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
19 Aug 2010 12:58 #392167 by csrjoe
Replied by csrjoe on topic Pods, Mac Headers,=What carb set-up
stock jetting, was everthing good before? P.O. owner had pods. Wrench replaced them with new pods also (cleaned,rebuild and sync carbs with new intake manifolds,had wrong plugs put right ones in, and fuel filter}. It was a different bike. but still had bad gas mileage. the bog wasnt as apparent more like a flat spot.I just thought she's 20+yrs. old give her a break. but after putting on header I expected more. the bike still boggs and spits between 5,5 to 7, rpm.

More
19 Aug 2010 13:11 #392169 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Pods, Mac Headers,=What carb set-up
Pods.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
19 Aug 2010 13:14 #392170 by csrjoe
or air filters

More
19 Aug 2010 13:31 #392175 by csrjoe
how much would a jet kit cost and where would you suggest I get one.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
19 Aug 2010 13:34 - 19 Aug 2010 13:37 #392177 by mark1122
well if it does in fact have stock jetting and u added a header and pods, u should be lean? a bog is usualy a lean spot. but ealier u said it bucks and spits, which sounds rich. so what is it , bogging or spitting?????
maybe u dont have stock jetting.
i would take a look and see what jets are in there . u want to know what pilot and main jet is in there, and which clip the needle clip is on(if it has 1).are they stock carbs as well? manual slides or diaframs?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 19 Aug 2010 13:37 by mark1122.

More
19 Aug 2010 13:55 - 19 Aug 2010 13:56 #392180 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Pods, Mac Headers,=What carb set-up
csrjoe wrote:

I have a 83 csr 650 that is running good but still is sucking gas mileage at an estimated 70 miles a tank full. I believe I have a 2.8 gals. a tank. So what I like to hear what you think about the carb setting should be. She'll be in the shop on friday to set the carbs. It also has pods new, and a Mac header new.
My estimate is its still running a bit rich. In second gear at 5 to 6.5 rpm she bucks and spits and then smooths out.

If you put a stock airbox on it and have MAC pipes with the standard baffle, it will be very easy to jet. probably stock jets or one size rich will run perfect. An airbox is probably cheaper than a jet kit and will save a whole lot of time.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 19 Aug 2010 13:56 by bountyhunter.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
19 Aug 2010 14:43 #392192 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Pods, Mac Headers,=What carb set-up
csrjoe wrote:

70 miles on a tank? I haven't ridden a 650, but on my 900 that means I'm loosing fuel somewhere other than the combustion chamber/exhaust. I'm loosing fuel out the float overflow periodically.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
19 Aug 2010 15:15 #392204 by mark1122
DoubleDub wrote:

csrjoe wrote:

70 miles on a tank? I haven't ridden a 650, but on my 900 that means I'm loosing fuel somewhere other than the combustion chamber/exhaust. I'm loosing fuel out the float overflow periodically.

Good point DD. my kz1200 gets 100 miles per 15 liters.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
19 Aug 2010 15:56 #392222 by csrjoe
I'm having a trusted mechanic do the work. So I dont know if their stock. I will know in a couple of days when I get it back in there and ask him. bogging is the best way to describe what is happening. I havent smelled or seen any lost of fuel in my garage or on the road. A stock airbox sounds like the right fix, not to get to far from stock or reliablity is what I want. Is it hard to find this {e=bay}or is still possible to get this new? If I have to get a Jet Kit is Z1 the best route to go for this or does somebody have another suggestion?