is $800 a good deal for a set of CR carbs?

• Mcdroid
  • Away
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
More
31 Jul 2010 08:51 #387224 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic is $800 a good deal for a set of CR carbs?
cobura wrote:

Anyways, no one has yet to answer my very simple question, instead i keep getting lectures. Does anyone know how much a set of CR specials run for in the U.S.? Is $800 a good deal? Maybe no one here has ever bought such parts before.

Hello cobura...I actually got up and searched for prices for CR's and although I found a few dealers in the US, no one would commit to a web-quote...all said call for the latest pricing. So unless someone has recently purchased a set, a call to a local distributor is in order. I suspect that US$800 is probably in the ballpark...for example, Z1Enterprises could order me a set via the PMC folks in Japan and I'd be charged about US$950...and Z1E is the US distributor for PMC products.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2010 09:16 #387230 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic is $800 a good deal for a set of CR carbs?
Here to answer your ?

$700-$800 is the going price on a new set of CR's...
You will still be required to re-jet for SUDCO distributor to your distributor sends them out on the rich side... So, YES, jetting will be required....

What everyone is trying to tell you is without Head/valve P&P, performance cams etc... you're not going to get that much for the price with out some additional top end work... Better response, by all means....

Still worth it in my book but not sure what your truly expecting in performance with just carb upgrades...

I have the CR's on mine and LUV them... Throttle response is on the spot.... Easy to get to the jets and slides for tuning....

Once dialed in... these babies ROCK! B)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• cobura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
More
31 Jul 2010 09:36 - 31 Jul 2010 09:37 #387234 by cobura
Replied by cobura on topic is $800 a good deal for a set of CR carbs?
thankyou old man rock, Mcdroid, and Kraz1 for answering my question. I couldn't find prices anywhere. I have a price catalog for all the performance carbs sold in japan sitting right in front of my as i type. A set of CR specials to fit my bike will cost me about 78,000 yen. I was just wondering if they would be cheaper if I bought them from the U.S., but i guess they are kind of hard to find, huh.

I appreciate your concern, but i know exactly what to expect from buying these. Hi-performance carbs are just one of the many upgrades i plan to do. However i like keeping the inside of my engine as original as possible. For me, a nice set of racing carbs is a good way to get more performance without molesting your engine.

1979 KZ650B3
Last edit: 31 Jul 2010 09:37 by cobura.

More
31 Jul 2010 15:33 #387287 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic is $800 a good deal for a set of CR carbs?
cobura wrote:

sorry but i have to disagree with what everyone has said here. I do part time work at my friends business here in japan, and one of the first custom parts we add to a newly built engine is a high-performance carb. The cams are always factory originals, the pistons are usually original size, unless if the cylinders show wear, we sometimes bore them slightly only to restore performance back to original settings. Some bikes do have custom parts, but almost all have racing carbs. Dialing in the setting is not that difficult, im not sure what kind of experiences all of you have had in your pasts. My friends store in a franchise of the most popular and successful Z! bike shop in japan, he's not ripping people off, and his bikes are all top notch at around $35,000 each. Have any of you actually purchased racing carbs before? I already have installed keihin racing carbs on my CBR. The only other custom part on that bike is an exhaust. After installing the new carb, i saw a very noticeable increase in power, VERY noticeable. I'd like to know where you all got your information.

Anyways, no one has yet to answer my very simple question, instead i keep getting lectures. Does anyone know how much a set of CR specials run for in the U.S.? Is $800 a good deal? Maybe no one here has ever bought such parts before.

wow you are a funny guy! :woohoo: ive bought more 29-38mm carbs over the years than i care to try counting,along with 1197-1385 piston kits and bigblocks than most.

you can put any carbs on any motor you want,all im saying is before id spend $800.00 putting carbs on a basically stock 650 that is going to be just a daily driver id spend $100.00 on a set of 26mm 900-1000 carbs and spend the other $700 on a good ignition and whatever else it took to make a reliable driver out of the bike.and i can still remember the days of brand new 29 smoothbores for around $400.00,and kerker headers for around $200.00 B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
31 Jul 2010 17:32 #387304 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic is $800 a good deal for a set of CR carbs?
I picked mine up for under $800 @ Dynoman...
I got a deal for it was end of year inventory time, I had bought my cams and Kerker there so Buzz threw me a good deal on the carbs.... B)

dynoman.net

SUDCO is pretty much the main distributor here in the US...
You'll have to call them for pricing...

www.sudco.com/keihin.html

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
31 Jul 2010 18:24 #387319 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic is $800 a good deal for a set of CR carbs?
PLUMMEN wrote:

cobura wrote:

sorry but i have to disagree with what everyone has said here. I do part time work at my friends business here in japan, and one of the first custom parts we add to a newly built engine is a high-performance carb. The cams are always factory originals, the pistons are usually original size, unless if the cylinders show wear, we sometimes bore them slightly only to restore performance back to original settings. Some bikes do have custom parts, but almost all have racing carbs. Dialing in the setting is not that difficult, im not sure what kind of experiences all of you have had in your pasts. My friends store in a franchise of the most popular and successful Z! bike shop in japan, he's not ripping people off, and his bikes are all top notch at around $35,000 each. Have any of you actually purchased racing carbs before? I already have installed keihin racing carbs on my CBR. The only other custom part on that bike is an exhaust. After installing the new carb, i saw a very noticeable increase in power, VERY noticeable. I'd like to know where you all got your information.

wow you are a funny guy! :woohoo: ive bought more 29-38mm carbs over the years than i care to try counting,along with 1197-1385 piston kits and bigblocks than most.

you can put any carbs on any motor you want,all im saying is before id spend $800.00 putting carbs on a basically stock 650 that is going to be just a daily driver id spend $100.00 on a set of 26mm 900-1000 carbs and spend the other $700 on a good ignition and whatever else it took to make a reliable driver out of the bike.and i can still remember the days of brand new 29 smoothbores for around $400.00,and kerker headers for around $200.00 B)

Lectures or not, I have to agree with Plummen here. Big performance carbs will help your little engine, but you wont even get close to reaching their potential with a stock motor.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
31 Jul 2010 18:44 #387321 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic is $800 a good deal for a set of CR carbs?
Agree agree agree!!! Yes, racing carbs will wake the motor up, but no more so than a set of vm26 take offs from a kz1000. VM28s are even a waste on a stock 650 motor, you won't notice any more gain from the 28s on a stock motor than you will from the 26s.

If what you want is the gain from the carbs along with the snappy looks of the shiny new racing carbs, than by all means spend the $800 on them. I'm with Plummen though that I'd rather spend $100 on 26s (or $50 shipped off ebay if you can get really luck like I did) and have extra cha-ching to drop into other go fast parts.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
31 Jul 2010 19:04 - 01 Aug 2010 00:57 #387322 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic is $800 a good deal for a set of CR carbs?
Sometimes helps to think of the engine as basically being an air pump.

Pumping air through the engine involves the ports, cams, valves, exhaust system, cylinder displacement, etc.

More efficient pumping produces improved performance.

When carbs are already producing all the mixture which the engine is capable of pumping, increasing the carb potential is wasted, because the engine can't pump anymore anyhow. "Over-carbing" actually hinders performance. Among other reasons, a too large carb throat impairs venturi velocity.

For example, when 29 smoothbores are added to a stock engine, a freer breathing exhaust system also helps to further increase the engine's "air-pumping" ability. But going on up to 33 smoothbores on a stock engine often yields disappointing results, regardless of exhaust system, because the stock engine just can't pump enough air.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 01 Aug 2010 00:57 by Patton.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
31 Jul 2010 20:35 - 31 Jul 2010 20:38 #387344 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic is $800 a good deal for a set of CR carbs?
cobura wrote:

$800 is retail with K&N filters.

I've been trying to tell these guys the CRS carbs rock for years ;)

Sudco is the main distributor here in the US. They jet them way too fat. Generally, they need leaning out in every circuit including the starter jets.

Get a rack of CRS dialed in and they really wake up the bike :)
Last edit: 31 Jul 2010 20:38 by larrycavan.

More
01 Aug 2010 06:53 #387377 by barney
Replied by barney on topic is $800 a good deal for a set of CR carbs?
Id say that $800 to $1000 for a set of those in like new condition sounds about right