Bog at 4 - 6k in any gear....

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
22 Jun 2010 16:29 - 22 Jun 2010 16:32 #377612 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Bog at 4 - 6k in any gear....
Kingchiefa wrote:

anarki650 wrote:

Would raise the needle a step and see if that fixes your woes.

Why would you raise the needle a step? Wouldn't that create a richer mixture?

Is this a stock 79 LTD with the original VM26 carbs, pod filters and V&H 4/1 pipe with street baffle and full packing?

If so the needles are 5CN19 and O-6 needle jets with 15 long pilots [stock jetting]

For the setup I described, 4th clip position on needle, stock pilot and generally about a 120 main will get you in pretty good drivability zone for North East Pa climate.

Sometimes V&H pipes affect the motor more profoundly than say a Kerker does. Try pulling your baffle and take it for a ride to see if there's any change in the way it acts.

It will be annoyingly loud. But, if it helps, try the baffle wihout any packing. Will have a good sound and not annoy you when you're highway riding or piss off the neighborhood :laugh:

Larry C
Last edit: 22 Jun 2010 16:32 by larrycavan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kingchiefa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • To each thier own.
More
22 Jun 2010 16:37 #377615 by Kingchiefa
Replied by Kingchiefa on topic Bog at 4 - 6k in any gear....
larrycavan wrote:

Kingchiefa wrote:

anarki650 wrote:

Is this a stock 79 LTD with the original VM26 carbs, pod filters and V&H 4/1 pipe with street baffle and full packing?

If so the needles are 5CN19 and O-6 needle jets with 15 long pilots [stock jetting]

For the setup I described, 4th clip position on needle, stock pilot and generally about a 120 main will get you in pretty good drivability zone for North East Pa climate.

Sometimes V&H pipes affect the motor more profoundly than say a Kerker does. Try pulling your baffle and take it for a ride to see if there's any change in the way it acts.

It will be annoyingly loud. But, if it helps, try the baffle wihout any packing. Will have a good sound and not annoy you when you're highway riding or piss off the neighborhood :laugh:

Larry C

Baffle and packing already removed. I know the jets are not stock, When i got to PA last summer I took my bike to Wheels of Williamsport.... ( BAD F"NG PLACE TO GO!!) To get the carbs rejetted for new altitude and climate. After 800.00$ bike ran horrible, tech said there was nothing he could do about it. not sure which jets he installed.

1979 KZ1000 ltd b3 Currently in Troy, PA. Hope to some of you on the road.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
22 Jun 2010 16:44 #377618 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Bog at 4 - 6k in any gear....
What altitude do you ride at now? Rifle, Co?
This will help, pull the carbs and find out the jet #'s and post them and your altitude, these guys will tell you what you need, and it'll be real close. No $800.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• Kingchiefa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • To each thier own.
More
22 Jun 2010 16:51 #377620 by Kingchiefa
Motor Head wrote:

What altitude do you ride at now? Rifle, Co?
This will help, pull the carbs and find out the jet #'s and post them and your altitude, these guys will tell you what you need, and it'll be real close. No $800.

Ok not riding in CO, still in PA.

More
22 Jun 2010 19:04 - 22 Jun 2010 19:06 #377634 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Bog at 4 - 6k in any gear....
The stock carbs on '79KZ1000LTD were oriented toward lean (likely due to meeting EPA requirements).
With modified freer breathing intake and exhaust, any "too lean" issues would be expected to worsen.

kawasaki.com shows Jet Needle 5CN18. And I didn't see an alternative (larger) needle jet.

Raising the jet needle (lowering the clip position) should enrichen the mid-range.

Am uncertain, but doubtful, about feasibility of enlarging the oem needle jet. But who knows what all might have been modified incident to the earlier carb service.

At any rate, if jet needle remains suspect, perhaps a Dynojet Kit would improve midrange performance, as the kit includes replacement jet needles.

Relying on Dynojet would to me seem reasonable, instead of attempting to understand and be conversant with all the numerous other alternative jet needles available, and possible larger needle jet sizes.

Anyhow, here for consideration is the Dynojet Kit listed at Z1 Enterprises.

Click > Dynojet Kit from Z1E

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 22 Jun 2010 19:06 by Patton.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
22 Jun 2010 20:53 #377659 by larrycavan
Kingchiefa wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

Kingchiefa wrote:

anarki650 wrote:

Larry C

Baffle and packing already removed. I know the jets are not stock, When i got to PA last summer I took my bike to Wheels of Williamsport.... ( BAD F"NG PLACE TO GO!!) To get the carbs rejetted for new altitude and climate. After 800.00$ bike ran horrible, tech said there was nothing he could do about it. not sure which jets he installed.

You have directions now. Pick a day you want to come over and we'll have a peek at the problem. We can do lunch while the bike cools down :) Saturdays or Sundays are best for that sort of thing. Consider it a Welcome to Pa. gesture :)

• Kingchiefa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • To each thier own.
More
26 Jun 2010 20:09 #378469 by Kingchiefa
I will as soon as I get it back from CT. My brother has been working on it. I should be picking in up in july. I will keep in touch and let you know what all he has found out. But i would most definatley prefer to have an experienced eye look at it and teach me. My brother does nto have alot of experience with vintage bikes. He rides super sports.

• Kingchiefa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • To each thier own.
More
04 Jul 2010 09:32 #380143 by Kingchiefa
Ok I'm going to video the bike running today. Hopefully this will help explain what is going on with it.

• Kingchiefa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • To each thier own.
More
15 Sep 2010 13:41 #398918 by Kingchiefa
WHOOOHOOO!!!!!!!!! I got her back and she is running like a dream, as soon as I figure out how to post up video, it will be here for you all to see. YA!!!!! Thank you all for your help and support through these trials and tribulations!! I hope to ride with some of you soon before the season ends!

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
15 Sep 2010 18:33 #399000 by larrycavan
Kingchiefa wrote:

WHOOOHOOO!!!!!!!!! I got her back and she is running like a dream, as soon as I figure out how to post up video, it will be here for you all to see. YA!!!!! Thank you all for your help and support through these trials and tribulations!! I hope to ride with some of you soon before the season ends!

Best hurry.....it's coming quick

• Kingchiefa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • To each thier own.
More
16 Sep 2010 07:43 #399087 by Kingchiefa
Hey Larry!! Let me know when you have a weekend free and I'll head your way, I might but up that way anyhow on sunday the 19th. Just let me know what you have going on.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
16 Sep 2010 13:28 #399131 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Bog at 4 - 6k in any gear....
Well, what was the problem, howed u fix it?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)