ultrasonic carb cleaner

More
17 Jun 2010 10:57 #376341 by wannaby
ultrasonic carb cleaner was created by wannaby
Hi so I picked up an ultrasonic carb cleaner from work that supposidly didnt work....went online to see how to troublshoot it ....so it says take a piece of tinfoil and dip it ito the cleaner not touching bottom and if it starts to dissintegrate then its working ...so tryed that and worked good ....thing is when I put the carbs in the crap dont bubble off like in the utube vids....tryed water and dishsoap but no go before I blow more dough on cleaner does anybody think it could just be that I need a good cleaner and it should work....ideas????...Den

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
17 Jun 2010 11:43 #376352 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic ultrasonic carb cleaner
How long did you give the carb a bath for before you gave up on it? Also did you have the carburetor body touching the bottom of the tank?

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
17 Jun 2010 19:20 #376489 by wannaby
Replied by wannaby on topic ultrasonic carb cleaner
Not touching bottom of the tank ..had it suspended ...and left it for about 20 munuts ...but looking at the vids on utube the crud starts foaming and comming off right away on mine it just starts foaming very slightly...cant see special detergent making that much difference also read online that the best way is to clean carbs is to boil them in lemon water....mayby ill try that...Den

• testarossa
  • User
More
17 Jun 2010 20:51 #376519 by testarossa
The vids that you see on youtube are of large commercial ultrasonics. These are usually adjustable for frequency and amplitude. I'm also suspecting that these are left on and the water will be quite hot by the time that the carb is dipped. If you leave your ultrasonic on for a while, like an hour, then you will notice that the water gets hot. The hot water helps. Personally I use laundry soap in mine to good effect. Here's a couple of videos of my little ultrasonic at work on one of my carbs. PLEASE turn your volume down, they are quite loud.

[IMG

This first video is just after I placed the carb in the wash.

[IMG

This second video is after approximately 1 hour.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• testarossa
  • User
More
17 Jun 2010 20:54 #376520 by testarossa
Sorry, those links didn't work, try these.
s915.photobucket.com/albums/ac360/jtshar...rent=Ultrasonic2.flv

s915.photobucket.com/albums/ac360/jtshar...rent=Ultrasonic1.flv

Here's a before and after pic of the float bowls from these carbs.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
17 Jun 2010 22:59 #376529 by wannaby
Hey thx for the tips ....so mine has a 10 minute timer ill have to jump it out and I dont think it has a heater or does the ultrasonic cause it to get hot.And mine isnt half as loud as yours.So what exactly do you use for cleaner..Ill have to give it one more try. and do you know if I start poking inside is there a chance I could get shocked even though it is inplug'd.there isnt any stored up power inside there it says caution high voltage aoutherized personel.I was an insterment cleaner from the hospital I work at. Den

• testarossa
  • User
More
17 Jun 2010 23:42 #376532 by testarossa
1) No heater necessary. The vibrations cause the water to heat, sorta like a microwave.
2) Not sure why the vid is soo loud. My unit is not unbearably loud. No earplugs or anything like that.
3) I used about 2 oz of whatever laundry detergent that Mama had in the utility room. Probably Arm and Hammer liquid laundry detergent at the time.
4) There is always a chance that you could get shocked as long as it's plugged in. If it's not plugged in, then I don't see how you could get shocked. There are no large capacitors, or batteries in there. Personally, I reach into mine while its running all the time. It feels much like a mild shock when you reach in there if it's running. With that said, you reach at your own risk. Always remember that electricity and water can be a bad combination, and just a few milliamps across your heart is enough to kill you.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
18 Jun 2010 09:15 #376586 by wannaby
thx testa ill let ya know how it goes...Den

More
18 Jun 2010 12:58 #376625 by wannaby
Still not working no bubbles and no foaming off of grease added laundry soap see slight vibration on the surface of the water.

• testarossa
  • User
More
18 Jun 2010 13:33 #376629 by testarossa
Maybe there is a reason that they got rid of it. Sorry I couldn't help more. Did your water ever get hot?

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
18 Jun 2010 13:43 #376631 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic ultrasonic carb cleaner
i used a big branson cleaner at work. it has a heater built into it so you can set the temp. i set at 120 and scrubbed my carbs and parts for about two hours to get em sparklin clean. we use a slightly caustic cleaner in the bath. maybe thats what you need but dont go too crazy. remember carbs are aluminum

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

More
18 Jun 2010 21:41 #376712 by wannaby
I put hot water in it but didnt take the temp....so how much does your surface water ripple very tiny or big ripples and do you see bubbles forming...I aint giving up on this thing that easy.....i am stubborn...can it worked with the tinfoil test the other test is take a small piece of glass and mark it with a pecil and dip it lead should dissapear in about 10 seconds.....