'80 KZ750 LTD Leak!!!!! I need help please!!!

• xLowEndx
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Slappa da bass
More
18 May 2010 07:58 #368727 by xLowEndx
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum and this bike is my first motorcycle ever! I bought this bike and it starts up fine and runs but I do know I will need to change the oil immediately before I ride it anymore.

My biggest concern now is that I have a leak that smells like gasoline but is a little thicker and more oily. It is dripping from a small valve that faces the rear of the bike that comes down right in between the carbs. It's not too bad but I've had the bike for 4 days now and it hasn't stopped.

I'm not sure what this "valve" is but it does turn in place but doesn't seem to close.

Should there be a hose coming from it?

What is this leak?

(this is an inline 4 btw)

(I'm not a complete novice but my motorcycle mechanics consist of being able to point out the basic parts of a bike and understanding ehat they do, just not how they do it)

1980 Kawasaki KZ750-H1 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2010 09:18 - 20 Feb 2013 20:14 #368739 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic ----

Last edit: 20 Feb 2013 20:14 by H1Vindicator.

More
18 May 2010 09:34 #368741 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic '80 KZ750 LTD Leak!!!!! I need help please!!!
Hi, I have the same bike as you, but cannot picture a valve between the carbs... Could you maybe post a picture?

• xLowEndx
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Slappa da bass
More
18 May 2010 09:57 #368748 by xLowEndx
Replied by xLowEndx on topic '80 KZ750 LTD Leak!!!!! I need help please!!!
You are correct, it looks like it is coming out just below and in between carbs 2 and 3. I can't get pics up for another 8 hours cuz I'm at work and I think in most forums you may have to have a min. amount of post before you can post a pic.

Um, I looked at the diagrams and I'm not too sure if the "valve" has anything to do with the carbs. The piece I'm talking about is only about the size of a nickel. It has about 12 "grooves" in it that look teeth on a gear. This is was lead me to believe it was meant for turning so it gives you more grip.....

Any other ideas before I can get these pics up?

More
18 May 2010 10:03 #368751 by coltsfan
Replied by coltsfan on topic '80 KZ750 LTD Leak!!!!! I need help please!!!
Check your oil level a lot of people overfill the oil fill and you get overfill EVERYWHERE this can blow the heads and cause various problems I'm not sure this would cause the problems your having but maybe it helps

• xLowEndx
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Slappa da bass
More
18 May 2010 10:12 - 18 May 2010 10:12 #368754 by xLowEndx
That bike probably hasn't had an oil change in 2 years at least. I've only ridden it 5 miles before I found it out and haven't got on it since. Would this be causing something to leak?

Last edit: 18 May 2010 10:12 by xLowEndx.

More
18 May 2010 10:53 #368765 by Patton
xLowEndx wrote:

You are correct, it looks like it is coming out just below and in between carbs 2 and 3. I can't get pics up for another 8 hours cuz I'm at work and I think in most forums you may have to have a min. amount of post before you can post a pic.

Um, I looked at the diagrams and I'm not too sure if the "valve" has anything to do with the carbs. The piece I'm talking about is only about the size of a nickel. It has about 12 "grooves" in it that look teeth on a gear. This is was lead me to believe it was meant for turning so it gives you more grip.....

Any other ideas before I can get these pics up?

Hello, Chris, and WELCOME to KZR! :)
We're glad you're here! :cheer:

think in most forums you may have to have a min. amount of post before you can post a pic --- No such requirements on KZR forum, so post away. B)

Would the parts in question be those below enclosed in red? :unsure:

[Click on image to enhance view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• xLowEndx
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Slappa da bass
More
18 May 2010 11:03 #368767 by xLowEndx
Thats the closest I could see but like I said I'm not sure exctly if the leak is carb related, just near it.

That is right where it is at though. What is it?

More
18 May 2010 12:13 - 18 May 2010 12:15 #368773 by Patton
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationFor understanding any Kawasaki motorcycle, especially for a new owner with first motorcycle, obtaining a genuine Kawasaki factory service manual should be an essential priority for the most comprehensive and best consistent information.

Many FSM's covering 1980 KZ750 are listed on ebay, and inexpensive CD versions are often also available. Sometimes a supplement manual is printed for LTD models. But most LTD info will be covered in manual for standard model.

Meanwhile, I think but am not positive that the part involved is for adjusting the idle speed.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 18 May 2010 12:15 by Patton.

More
18 May 2010 12:15 #368774 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic '80 KZ750 LTD Leak!!!!! I need help please!!!
I believe that is the idle adjustment screw (it's been a while since I looked at mine). I am guessing that you have a fuel leak somewhere and its dripping and running down the carbs and looks like it's coming from that screw. As it's running down maybe it's picking up some dirt and looking oily? I would inspect all the fuel lines to look for the any leaks.

I chased lots of leaks on my bike because it sat for a long time. Just when you fix one, another pops up :) Usually nothing too hard to handle though.

• xLowEndx
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Slappa da bass
More
18 May 2010 12:25 #368775 by xLowEndx
Wow that makes sense now. So I've already messed with the idle ajustment screw, is there a certain position it should be in to get it back to a decent idle? Am I asking this right? Anybody?

Where should it idle @ in rpm's?

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
18 May 2010 12:33 #368779 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic '80 KZ750 LTD Leak!!!!! I need help please!!!
where it doesnt bog down when u accelerate.Usually about 850-1000 rpm.bj