Name that carburetor

More
18 May 2010 10:14 #368755 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Name that carburetor
Another view :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2010 10:25 #368760 by Patton
Patton wrote:

Another view :)

For whoever might need a new 17mm hex head,
Click > 17mm Hex Head at Z1E

Such as in case of loss or damaged threads.

May also use to drill and add a nipple thereby creating a tool for using incident to clear tube testing of fuel level in float bowl.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
18 May 2010 10:47 #368763 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Name that carburetor
Dude dont confuse yourself, what you have is a standard for the 650 set of VM24 carbs. Mikuni has what is called Large main jets and small main jets. Yours happens to have the "large" mains. Your mains fit a wide wide variety of Mikuni carbs. Just order the large ones in whatever size you need. Good luck

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
18 May 2010 11:22 - 18 May 2010 11:33 #368769 by Patton
H1Vindicator wrote:

Going by your user name, I suppose the bike is a KZ650 of some unknown year. Often times, mentioning the particular bike is helpful. Anyway, most of the 650s have VM24 carburetors. Some of them have an accelerator pump which is located on the bottom of the #2 carb. From the looks of your drain screws, yours are a 70s variety.

PS: if they're VM24s, the engine side opening probably measures ~26mm. The 24mm measurement is inside the carb bore near the throttle slides.

Get the jets at Z1Enterprises.com. If you're unsure, contact them.

Z1- Mikuni Large Round Main Jet #115
Pilot Jet VM22/210 - #17.5
Z1 - Sudco Carburetor Tuning Guide ~$11

Excellent advice. :cheer:

Kawickrice wrote:

Dude don't confuse yourself, what you have is a standard for the 650 set of VM24 carbs. Mikuni has what is called Large main jets and small main jets. Yours happens to have the "large" mains. Your mains fit a wide wide variety of Mikuni carbs. Just order the large ones in whatever size you need. Good luck.

The main jets are K&L which should be fine. I don't know what the pilot jets are - the part number is preceded by a TU. K&L parts are usually denoted by KL in the number. Also, I don't know if those sizes are correct for your application.

More excellent advice! :cheer:

If the model year is unknown, it may sometimes be found in a VIN sticker located on right side of steering head. Or on the title or other papers associated with the bike or license tag.

The VIN or engine serial number could help, and might also be tracked through Zedder.com.

With the year model known, the carb parts diagram at kawasaki.com often provides jet sizes and alternate sizes. Babbits.com may provide similar info.

To get started at kawasaki.com, click > kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.aspx?strConten.../VICHOOSEVEHICLE.ASP

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 18 May 2010 11:33 by Patton.

More
18 May 2010 12:55 #368785 by btkz650
Replied by btkz650 on topic Name that carburetor
I see what you mean about the differences. I'll pull them off when I get home tonight and find out what I have. As far as the carbs go, they didn't come with the bike. Got em' from Craigslist. The frame on the bike is an 82 KZ1000 altered to fit a 78 KZ650 motor (it was a title thing). The wiring I have no idea what year it came from but appears to be a Canadian model because of the 4 pin ignition wire. As you can see, I'm putting this bike together from a bunch of spare parts I acquired. Figuring out what works with what is half the battle on this one.
Thanks again. You guys are a huuugggge help.

More
18 May 2010 14:38 #368804 by Patton
btkz650 wrote:

...think I need to order 115 main jets and 17.5 pilot jets....

Others will have more experience and better advice, but my guess under the circumstances would be that 115 mains and 17.5 pilots would be as good as any to start with.

If the existing jets appear serviceable and are anywhere close in size (sometimes difficult to read even with strong light and magnification), would consider test running them and see how the engine performs. Be careful not to hold wide open throttle for very long, especially if bike seems to be holding back from lack of fuel. If so, add a little choke for effect. If choke improves pull, main jets are likely too small. If engine burbles and worsens with added choke, main jets are likely too large.

In any event, with pods and headers to open air, carb tuning will be a tough row to hoe.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 May 2010 17:06 #368821 by tinlizzie37
Replied by tinlizzie37 on topic Name that carburetor
Hi BT, Z Enterprise has the jets you need plus the gaskets. Go to Harbor Freight and get their metric nitril o'ring set, they have all the o'rings you will need for replacing the old ones. This is if you have a KZ 650 with the VM 24's. I got my jets and gaskets there. Good luck. Bob

Bob KZ 650 E1, En 450

More
18 May 2010 19:42 #368906 by btkz650
Thanks. I actually already have that set of metric O-rings from Harbor Freight. Got them when I cleaned my first set of carbs on an old CB650 last summer.
I think I can get the jets from a local Yamaha dealer by me. They said to just bring in one of mine so they could match up the type.

tinlizzie37 wrote:

Hi BT, Z Enterprise has the jets you need plus the gaskets. Go to Harbor Freight and get their metric nitril o'ring set, they have all the o'rings you will need for replacing the old ones. This is if you have a KZ 650 with the VM 24's. I got my jets and gaskets there. Good luck. Bob

More
18 May 2010 19:43 #368907 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Name that carburetor
mikuni kogyo? ok what do i win? :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
18 May 2010 19:44 #368909 by btkz650
Great advice Patton. I think I'll wait until I get the electrical buttoned up and see if it will run first.
Patton wrote:

btkz650 wrote:

...think I need to order 115 main jets and 17.5 pilot jets....

Others will have more experience and better advice, but my guess under the circumstances would be that 115 mains and 17.5 pilots would be as good as any to start with.

If the existing jets appear serviceable and are anywhere close in size (sometimes difficult to read even with strong light and magnification), would consider test running them and see how the engine performs. Be careful not to hold wide open throttle for very long, especially if bike seems to be holding back from lack of fuel. If so, add a little choke for effect. If choke improves pull, main jets are likely too small. If engine burbles and worsens with added choke, main jets are likely too large.

In any event, with pods and headers to open air, carb tuning will be a tough row to hoe.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
18 May 2010 20:17 #368919 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Name that carburetor
I just changed the jets in my 650 about 2 months ago and decided to go with 17.5 pilots and 117.5 mains, man she sure woke up. I am running pods and a Jardine 4 into 2 exhaust.

If you go to the local Yamaha dealer dont let them gouge you on the price. Anything over 4 bucks a jet is to high. I paid 2.60 ea for the pilots and 2.40 for the mains if I recall correctly. That was from Z1E. My local shop wanted almost 5 bucks apiece for the same jet.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL