Weird float level problem!?

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
11 May 2010 18:18 #367328 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Weird float level problem!?
OK. First get those carbs setup so that they're on a 45 degree angle. Hinges at the top, floats closest to bench.
This way the float tangs will stop when they have jsut a small amount of pressure on the valve springs.

Set them via a fine measuring device of your choice, all the same height, floats NOT touching the carb body.Set all the floats, both on either side of each valve, doesnt reall matter what height, it will likely be lean/low fuel.

*If these valves and seats are the origional, I trust you have replaced those old crappy valves and polished the seats completely shiney new*

Now put your bowls on, and flip over the carbs. Set them up in a vice or something, off the bike and hookup gas.
YES. You are going to do the fuel height measurements OFF THE BIKE. It is SOOOOO much easier.

Let the carbs fill with gas. Do the clear tube method to check fuel height, and mark on each carb where the gas comes up to. Now drain the carbs. Flip them over, and raise/lower the floats the measured difference from your markings on the float bowls. Flip them back over and measure fuel heights again, they should all be bang on!

If not, repeat :P

GL!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2010 19:01 #367565 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Weird float level problem!?
Tek9iNe said

*If these valves and seats are the origional, I trust you have replaced those old crappy valves and polished the seats completely shiney new*

Brasso on a Q tip followed by carb cleaner on a Q tip works wonders. Those seats are pressed in and cant be replaced so will always be original.

Tek9iNe said

Let the carbs fill with gas. Do the clear tube method to check fuel height, and mark on each carb where the gas comes up to. Now drain the carbs. Flip them over, and raise/lower the floats the measured difference from your markings on the float bowls. Flip them back over and measure fuel heights again, they should all be bang on!

Best tip I've seen in ages ! I've been using trial and error which can be a PITA. Thanks

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.