Weird float level problem!?

More
09 May 2010 15:21 #366868 by polkat
Weird float level problem!? was created by polkat
Okay, I haven't seen this before. Decided to double check the fuel levels in the bowls of my Keihin CV34's off my 1982 KZ750H LTD. I found that three of the bowls had fuel levels that were too high! Pulled off the bowls to check the floats, and discovered that three of the carbs had floats that were stopping against the body of the carb before the float needles were fully closing. This means fuel is flowing even with the floats fully up! Here you can see what I'm talking about (where the black arrows point, and it's both sides of the floats)....

So what to do? Bend the tangs so the floats are just off the carb walls? Or will that give me too low a fuel level?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2010 18:44 - 09 May 2010 18:48 #366914 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Weird float level problem!?
Perhaps inapplicable here, but some carbs allow the floats to be mistakenly installed upside down.

Otherwise, would adjust the tang closer to base of float needle, which closes the valve sooner in relation to float position.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 09 May 2010 18:48 by Patton.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
09 May 2010 19:17 #366920 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Weird float level problem!?
x2 if ur sure floats dont have a pin hole leak in them allowing them to be pulled to full close as above.bj

More
09 May 2010 20:00 #366925 by Kawboy74
Replied by Kawboy74 on topic Weird float level problem!?
I could be way off here but are they installed upsidedown in the body. I think there is a tab that is supposed to go up to stop the float from hitting the top. Worth checking? Good luck DavidB)

1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

More
09 May 2010 20:22 - 09 May 2010 20:23 #366936 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Weird float level problem!?
His picture seems to agree with the kawasaki parts diagram.

It shows the taller side of the floats going up into the carb rather than the bowl. That seems counter-intuitive, but I guess that's how it is.

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 May 2010 20:23 by loudhvx.

More
09 May 2010 20:50 #366939 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Weird float level problem!?
I doubt that every single float has a pinhole. I took a good look at them and didn't spot that.

Well, some of the needles are definately not closing, so I'll try bending the tab to just take the floats off the carb wall and see what happens.

Woah!! loudhvx, is that a pic of the actual Keihin CV34? Because I just spotted a little O ring that mind don't have. 92668, just under jet 11012! Mine didn't have these. Wonder what that is causing?

More
09 May 2010 21:04 - 09 May 2010 21:09 #366940 by loudhvx
polkat wrote:

Woah!! loudhvx, is that a pic of the actual Keihin CV34? Because I just spotted a little O ring that mind don't have. 92668, just under jet 11012! Mine didn't have these. Wonder what that is causing?

Do you mean 92055B? That is strange. When I clicked on it there was no description of what it was, but it is on the other H models. Looks like it's meant to go on the polyester cap 11012. (11012 is listed as a polyester cap, not a jet.)

I don't know if it's the CV34, but it's what Kawasaki lists for the 82 750H3 model.
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 May 2010 21:09 by loudhvx.

More
09 May 2010 21:12 #366942 by loudhvx
Polyester cap.

Attachments:

More
10 May 2010 09:55 #367020 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Weird float level problem!?
Yes
Those O rings are for the polyester cap which should be firmly seated. If they are missing then the cap would likely fall out.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
10 May 2010 10:53 #367031 by polkat
Yes, my caps have that O ring. Guess I couldn't see the picture so well. Don't get old! The eyes are the first thing to go! :-)

Looking closer at this problem, the floats are definately hitting the carb walls just before the needle fully closes, or it closes, but loosly as the floats allow no more movement. Seems like an odd design to me, but I guess maybe a previous owner did this without realizing it while attempting to set the levels.

I mentioned trying to bend the tabs until the floats just sit away from the walls. Is that what folks here would do? Thanks!

More
10 May 2010 11:24 #367033 by loudhvx
One thing you didn't mention was spring loaded end of the needle. If you notice, the end of the needle the float presses on is spring loaded (or it usually is). When you say the needle is closed, do you mean when the needle is seated, or when the spring end is pushed in? The needle seats before the spring gets compressed all the way. Does the float hit the wall when the needle is seated or later when the spring is compressed?

More
10 May 2010 13:41 - 10 May 2010 15:00 #367056 by polkat
Well, I suppose that could be the problem. These needles are soild, no spring inside.... Wait! I'm wrong! There is a spring inside the needles, but it's on the back side opposite the tips, where the needle is pushed by the float tang.

But still a problem. I held the carbs upside down (so that the floats push the needles closed-or at least rested against the carb wall) then sprayed some cab cleaner into the common fuel supply tube, and all the needles leaked. Not a great deal, but it was obvious. Now, I know that carb cleaner is thin stuff, but probably no thinner then gasoline!? Still seems that there's a problem, and I'm still not sure what to do about it.
Last edit: 10 May 2010 15:00 by polkat.