80 KZ750 Float height

More
27 Apr 2010 16:44 #363658 by GingerKid
Replied by GingerKid on topic 80 KZ750 Float height
I did check one carb at a time, petcock on prime, bike on the centerstand on a level concrete floor. The leak is coming out of the float bowl drain/ overflow, which I understood meant the float level was too low or the needle was not seating fully. I've checked both and can't find the problem, which is why I'm lost.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2010 18:17 #363689 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic 80 KZ750 Float height
If it's coming out of the float bowl drain screw area,it might just be a bad/missing o-ring.Or you might even have 2 o-rings in there.An easy check is to just swap out a non-leaker into the leaker and see what happens.ALSO!!!be super careful when working aroung spilt gas.Static electricity could spark a fire.BE CAREFUL!!!

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KraZyJo

More
27 Apr 2010 19:11 #363704 by JR
Replied by JR on topic 80 KZ750 Float height
If still leaking and the needles are new then 2 thoughts come to mind.
1. Seats are still dirty. I have had to take a Q tip , dip it in carb cleaner and run it around the inside of the brass needle seat. Once even that was not enough and I used liquid Brasso on the Q tip which really cleaned them up and then carb cleaner on Q tip to remove the Brasso.

2. Check to see if that long brass overflow tube which rises from the bottom of the float bowl is not cracked. It does happen. Take the bowl off, fill with water and see if it leaks. Happened to me and I fixed one tube with JB Weld and then later by soldering a piece of slightly wider tubing slipped over the original .

Good luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
27 Apr 2010 22:15 #363764 by GingerKid
Alright, I finally have this thing figured out. Carb 1 was leaking because a piece of debris got caught under the needle and was holding it slightly open. Cleared that out and made sure there was no more in there. Carb 2 had a cracked overflow tube, so I grabbed another float bowl from the extra set of carbs I got with the bike and no more leak! I don't know why I didn't think to try that earlier, but at least it's fixed now.

Thanks for all the help, now I just have to have my friend help me sync up the carbs and get a new battery and this thing will be ready to ride!

More
28 Apr 2010 18:06 #363968 by JR
Replied by JR on topic 80 KZ750 Float height
Great !
You're making progress. Running in no time :cheer:

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
28 Apr 2010 21:21 #364038 by GingerKid
That's the plan, I want to be riding in the next few weeks.

More
29 Apr 2010 13:16 #364202 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic 80 KZ750 Float height
Glad you found your leak. Just to throw my $0.02 in, I have the same exact bike and had issues with the carbs leaking too. Turns out mine was the small o-rings on the fuel supply line that feeds the carbs. Of Course it was between carbs 2 & 3. I had to split all 4 carbs apart, which was a new experience. It wasn't horrible, but I'd rather not do it again :)

More
29 Apr 2010 14:43 #364260 by GingerKid
Fortunately, mine were fine there. The guy I bought it from had them rebuilt, but didn't do a very good job, so I had to fix a few minor mistakes.