Which carbs do I have?

More
03 Apr 2010 08:16 - 03 Apr 2010 08:19 #358133 by Zthou1977
Replied by Zthou1977 on topic Which carbs do I have?
rstnick wrote:

Try fitting a socket from your socket set into the engine side of the carb bore.
Find the largest one that matches the fit up to the slide, then measure the outside diameter of the socket.

Good tip, thanks! They are 24mm, so the riddle is solved. Now on to getting the thing to run...

@OMR:
Am downloading the manual now, should come in handy because up until now I've avoided messing with the carbs as much as possible.

1977 Z1000A1, 1982-1986 KZ1000P (built from two piles of parts), Moto Martin Z1200 (trying to get it registered), 1977 Z650B1
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Last edit: 03 Apr 2010 08:19 by Zthou1977.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2010 21:50 #358286 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Which carbs do I have?

Am downloading the manual now, should come in handy because up until now I've avoided messing with the carbs as much as possible.

KZ carbs are not that hard. Just do one at a time. ;)

Really now, does this look scary? :ohmy:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
04 Apr 2010 04:23 #358316 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Which carbs do I have?
Blue... You're :evil: evil :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"up until now I've avoided messing with the carbs as much as possible."....

We've all been there but you know what, it's a must to learn... ;)

One of the key benefits in understanding how your carbs work make a huge difference in performance no doubt but on a a ride especially in climate or elevation changes.

Example, head up North, she runs sweet... But @ 2500 plus elevation change I notice she's idling a little rough and at times, she dies out at a stop light... :ohmy: What am I to do...

Oh that's right, higher elevation equates to less air... Lean out the slow jets (pilots) for the carbs have less air, more fuel... DUH!

All better.... Then back down the hill and richen them back in...

If I had been clueless, I would have been freaking out... Oh cr4ap, my KZ is broken, she;'s running like crap, is it my timing, bend a valve....

Do I need the coil mod? :blink: Sorry, couldn't resist this one... :laugh: :laugh:

Study your carb & learn... With a little effort on your part this crap will all click in and when it does, it will blow you away... You'll actually be able to witness, feel the difference in how she performs then a huge light bulb goes off in your brain... B)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
06 Apr 2010 08:21 #358714 by Zthou1977
Replied by Zthou1977 on topic Which carbs do I have?
Bluemeanie wrote:

KZ carbs are not that hard. Just do one at a time. ;)

Really now, does this look scary? :ohmy: [/quote]

Uuuhm...yes, it does actually...
But it will have to be done. At least one pilot jet needs to be replaced, haven't checked the others yet. Right now I've put on a later set of carbs, and after capping the vacuum line and turning in the pilot jets to 1 1/2 turns it fired up. However, it will only do so with 1/4 throttle and no choke, and will die when I give it more or when I close the throttle. Will set the pilots to 3/4, put in fresh fuel (the little that is in there is six months old) and we'll see.
Later on I'll get a carb kit and redo the original carbs.

1977 Z1000A1, 1982-1986 KZ1000P (built from two piles of parts), Moto Martin Z1200 (trying to get it registered), 1977 Z650B1
Utrecht, The Netherlands

More
06 Apr 2010 10:53 #358749 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Which carbs do I have?
That photo makes it look more complicated than it is. VM24 carbs are easy, and I do mean easy. I'm no mechanical genius or anything, but I'm not a fumble thumbs either. Keep in mind that pretty much the same thing is done four times. Most parts can only go back one way. Do the job on an uncluttered area. I like to work over a clean old towel. Four small cheap plastic divided lunch containers are handy for keeping the parts separated by carburetor. Or egg cartons might work. Use good fitting tools.

If you remove the float bowls & everything on the underside seems clean & the orifices seem clear, then maybe you don't need to do the complete teardown. ya never know.