Done Everything, Still Has Hanging Idle

More
22 Feb 2010 13:30 - 22 Feb 2010 13:38 #349657 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Done Everything, Still Has Hanging Idle
Bench sync is fixing all slides at physically equal heights, as starting point for later actual sync (with engine running) wherein final adjusted heights will slightly differ to best equate performance of cylinders at lower rpm.

Typical bench sync involves using a small drill bit or paperclip wire, etc. to assure equal heights. But some of us simply eyeball them. As the heights will be readjusted anyhow during final sync.

As earlier noted, final sync usually entails gradually lowering the idle with the thumbscrew (which simultaneously lowers all slides). Which requires sufficient adjustment room on the threaded portion of the idle thumbscrew. Hence the importance of having the thumbscrew at mid-way thread position during bench sync. Thereby enabling the successively lower idle positions typically needed during final syncing and fine tuning.

Please forgive some repetitiveness, as am trying to better explain.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 22 Feb 2010 13:38 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2010 13:33 #349658 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Done Everything, Still Has Hanging Idle
Patton wrote:

Bench sync is fixing all slides at physically equal heights, as starting point for later actual sync (with engine running) wherein final adjusted heights will slightly differ to best equate performance of cylinders at lower rpm.

Typical bench sync involves using a small drill bit or paperclip wire, etc. to assure equal heights. But some of us simply eyeball them. As the heights will be readjusted anyhow during final sync.

As earlier noted, final sync requires ability to further lower (or sometimes raise) the slides. Which requires sufficient adjustment room on the threaded portion of the idle thumbscrew. Hence the importance of having the thumbscrew at mid-way thread position during bench sync. Thereby enabling lower and lower idle positions typically needed during final syncing and fine tuning.

Please forgive some repetitiveness, as am trying to better explain.

Good Luck! :)

Awesome info Patton (as usual)!!!! I've got to admit, after the several carb rebuilds I've done, and feeling like I pretty well know my way around the vm series carbs I'd never thought of setting the thumb screw in like that when bench syncing. I've always been lucky that bench syncing with the thumb screw out has worked for me but I'll definitely be taking that step next time I have the carbs off and apart. Thanks!!!

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
22 Feb 2010 22:12 - 22 Feb 2010 22:14 #349732 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Done Everything, Still Has Hanging Idle
If you really know what you're doing, and are sure you don't need to adjust your mixture screws again, throw a big glob of rtv in there and be done with'em. :laugh:

If you do need to change things later, the rtv just pops out, no mess, real easy. :huh:

GL...

Seriously though...

Air can leak in via many strange places on carbs, (like throught the throttle butterfly shaft passsages).
From air box snorkel tip, to the end tip of the exhaust pipe, needs to be completely air tight.

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 22 Feb 2010 22:14 by TeK9iNe.

More
23 Feb 2010 10:14 #349798 by tinlizzie37
Replied by tinlizzie37 on topic Done Everything, Still Has Hanging Idle
I have no o'rings on my 650 E 1s air/fuel screws and it runs just fine. Bob

Bob KZ 650 E1, En 450

More
23 Feb 2010 14:09 - 23 Feb 2010 14:17 #349826 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Done Everything, Still Has Hanging Idle
Had this very same problem on my KZ750-4 last month. The throttle cable would snap back when released, and I was sure that wasn't the problem. But on a whime I rerouted the cable so there were no sharper curves in it.....and the problem stopped! Turns out that there was a spot that barely hung up when there was vacuum present in the carbs with the engine running. [Actually, I'm not entirely sure that vacuum was the problem, but it certainly seemed so]. It wasn't enough to hang up when the engine was off. After that I lubed the cable and haven't had the problem since. By the way, it happened more often when the choke was on.

First I tried a somewhat stronger return spring, but my hand felt it when the miles added up.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2010 14:17 by polkat.

• redwood
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 81 650 CSR
More
04 Mar 2010 08:36 #351221 by redwood
Replied by redwood on topic Done Everything, Still Has Hanging Idle
If it was an improper bench synch, would the problem occur all the time, and not at random times? I just got back from a trip, so I will remove the cables, see if it does it without the cables, check if the throttle crank is loose on the carbs, and then finally recheck the bench synch.

:(

More
04 Mar 2010 08:56 #351227 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Done Everything, Still Has Hanging Idle
Is this a single cable throttle or a dual cable. If it is a duel than just twist it to the stop position and it will tell you if it is a hanging cable.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
05 Mar 2010 17:52 #351469 by Kawboy74
Replied by Kawboy74 on topic Done Everything, Still Has Hanging Idle
I have been reading this post off and on and remembered tonight that I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. Do you have those bar-end dampers on your bike because I had a set and my grip slid slightly away from the control on the right side and would hang up slightly on the damper. When I pushed the grip back into position all was better. Could be that simple?:laugh: Good luck David

1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

More
05 Mar 2010 21:25 #351509 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Done Everything, Still Has Hanging Idle
Redwood, Hesitant to even mention, But. were I you, I'd be grasping at straws. I've experianced climbing idle, (mostly on test rides) where, Idle rpms would climb due to fuel starvation, either due to, a fuel line kinking when warm...an intemittant vacumn petcock, a gas cap failing to vent. does hang occur when running on a "remote source"? have also experianced "intemittant hang" where carb linkage contacted intake manifold clamps. Idle thoughts, luck g

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

• redwood
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 81 650 CSR
More
06 Mar 2010 07:21 - 06 Mar 2010 07:23 #351556 by redwood
Replied by redwood on topic Done Everything, Still Has Hanging Idle
From what I can tell, it's not hanging up anywhere. It doesn't always happen when I rev or when riding, it's intermittent. When it does start racing if I blip the throttle a couple more times it starts to come down. It's always only run with gas tank on.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2010 07:23 by redwood.

More
06 Mar 2010 07:45 #351561 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic Done Everything, Still Has Hanging Idle
Have you tried putting a stronger throttle return spring on it? ...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
06 Mar 2010 09:21 #351574 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Done Everything, Still Has Hanging Idle
Sometimes a difficult-to-find air leak may be identified by using a propane torch (unlit--Duh!) to envelope the entire carb area with propane gas while the engine is running. But of course, avoid the air filter and carb intake area.

Any ingestion of propane through an air leak should noticeably affect engine performance. Same idea as with the other type spray mediums.

The propane may offer better coverage than spritzing around with WD40 or carb cleaner or ether or moisture or whatever.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD