Carbs, Carbs, Oh those Carbs!!!

More
21 Feb 2010 06:48 - 21 Feb 2010 06:48 #349408 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Carbs, Carbs, Oh those Carbs!!!
Probably something everybody's doing already, but I obtain (or hack) a few "straight" Allen wrenches in applicable sizes to use in the cordless drill for quickly dealing with Allen screws. Same for Phillips heads. And of course the adapter for 1/4" sockets.

And thumbs up to SS versions anytime for any style fastener whenever it's feasible! :cheer:

To me, the Allen screws just look classy and high tech. :P

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 21 Feb 2010 06:48 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2010 07:15 #349415 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Carbs, Carbs, Oh those Carbs!!!
"Allen screws just look classy and high tech"...

Now I realize you guys are speaking of carb body screws...
But I do agree, SS allen heads the only way to go for another more important reason.... They can be TORQUED!!!

Manifold boot screws new are phillip heads... Bah junk them, allen heads for sure... Seal up real nice & tight... Hecneforth no vacuum leaky!

Same on the engine case screws...
I picked up @ Z1 the SS engine case SS allen head screws and junked everyone of them stripped out sunsabitch phillip heads long ago... first on the agenda after putting the cases back together...

After first 50 mile run, re-torque everything for they WILL come loose on a new build.... Henceforth, no leaky! Do that with a phillip head screw... :pinch: :whistle:

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
21 Feb 2010 10:37 #349461 by kilgore
Replied by kilgore on topic Carbs, Carbs, Oh those Carbs!!!
Hi fellers. Well, it looks like we're in agreement - Phillips heads suck. I took one of the screws to Lowes and matched it up with hex head. They're not stainless, but whaddya gonna do? Big fan of the Allen bolt but couldn't find them to match. These screws were 4 for $.80 - right in my price range. Here's the specs on the package:

Class 8.8
M5-.80 x 10

Thanks again everybody - I'm sure I'll be talking to you as soon as I get to the valves!

More
21 Feb 2010 10:53 #349463 by kilgore
Replied by kilgore on topic Carbs, Carbs, Oh those Carbs!!!
Oops - I should probably mention that these screws a tick longer than the original ones but that the two screws that hold the throttle cable thing-a-ma-bob on are this longer length.

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
21 Feb 2010 12:02 #349473 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Carbs, Carbs, Oh those Carbs!!!
Kilgore,

I know it is a bit of hike from St Johns (if I remember right, that's where you are, correct?), but I found a good local source for SS hex screws. It is Ace Hardware on McLaughlin Blvd in Milwaukie/Oak Grove. They have a huge selection of fasteners at the back right corner of the store. I've been to a few other Ace stores in this area, but none had the extensive selection that I've seen at the Milwaukie store.

I recently noticed that Z1E also sells them now.

www.z1enterprises.com/catalog.aspx?pid=XX000

West Linn, OR