Fine tuning main jetting

More
01 Feb 2010 05:09 - 01 Feb 2010 05:10 #345789 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Fine tuning main jetting
"daytime the problem doesn't seem as noticeable."...

Ok, have to ask.... :blush:
Not as noticeable but it is present in the day time as well...

Question, in-line fuel filter?
Maybe not flowing through the filter as well at WOT...

You mentioned air filter lube... If you spray them as you had in the past, does problem go away?

All other mentioned from others is good info....;)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 01 Feb 2010 05:10 by Old Man Rock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
01 Feb 2010 11:57 #345851 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic Fine tuning main jetting
I must mention one other thing. I recently also set all the float levels using a fuel level gauge. I found each one set on the rich side prior to setting correctly. So that would have leaned it out some too.

Heading to the shop right now for some wrenching. I'll probably ride it to work today and see how things go.

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
01 Feb 2010 12:32 #345855 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Fine tuning main jetting
When it comes to pod filters that require oil, I always try to use the same amount and process to eliminate it from the equation. They will always vary in small amounts though, as time goes by.

You might be better served by a set of paper pods. That way you just replace them each season, since thier so cheap anyways.

So your sure that your fuel levels are ok. good.
Make sure the tank is venting. I just flip them upside down and shake, if gas comes out its venting! :laugh:
You dont have to do that of course... Just take the fuel line and put it into a gas canister. Then open the petcock and watch the fuel flow. If the tank empties with a nice thick stream, and not gulping or burbling for air, then the tank is venting fine.

Get those jets... and continue.

Good luck!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
01 Feb 2010 13:11 #345861 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Fine tuning main jetting
savedrider wrote:

I must mention one other thing. I recently also set all the float levels using a fuel level gauge. I found each one set on the rich side prior to setting correctly. So that would have leaned it out some too.

Heading to the shop right now for some wrenching. I'll probably ride it to work today and see how things go.

...recently also set all the float levels using a fuel level gauge....

Hoping this was via the clear tube method (accurate), and NOT the mechanical upside-down-on-the-workbench method (inaccurate).

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
01 Feb 2010 14:12 #345871 by savedrider
Yup, clear tube method! ;)

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
01 Feb 2010 16:05 - 01 Feb 2010 16:06 #345896 by savedrider
I pulled each plug to get a read and they are all dry reading light tan to chocolate brown in color. I cleaned the plugs checked gap and reinstalled.

I had the #1 bowl off the bike so before I put it back on I placed a catch container underneath and toggled the fuel tap to see how it flowed. It seems to flow fuel ok, though there was only enough fuel it the tank to check it on reserve.

Next I checked the tank vent. I pulled it apart and cleaned everything. I didn't pay particular attention to how the tank vent was oriented when I removed it, but I had it off in the past and never paid good attention to the way it's supposed to line up. I did notice that there is a right and wrong way to install the piece that fits with 3 small screws. So I've got it back together and I'm fairly confident that the vent is doing it's job.

I gassed up and rode to work today. I flogged it real good on the freeway. It runs good overall and continues to accelerate at WOT, though it feels most responsive at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Seems to me like it should pull harder at WOT. It's definitely not unridable, but it makes me wonder if I'm missing some power.

Now we will see what happens tonight on my way home. Air temps will be down and there is always this one little valley where the temps really dip. That's where I've noticed the problem happen consistently.

Last edit: 01 Feb 2010 16:06 by savedrider.

More
01 Feb 2010 16:13 #345897 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Fine tuning main jetting
savedrider wrote:

I pulled each plug to get a read and they are all dry reading light tan to chocolate brown in color. I cleaned the plugs checked gap and reinstalled.

I had the #1 bowl off the bike so before I put it back on I placed a catch container underneath and toggled the fuel tap to see how it flowed. It seems to flow fuel ok, though there was only enough fuel it the tank to check it on reserve.

Next I checked the tank vent. I pulled it apart and cleaned everything. I didn't pay particular attention to how the tank vent was oriented when I removed it, but I had it off in the past and never paid good attention to the way it's supposed to line up. I did notice that there is a right and wrong way to install the piece that fits with 3 small screws. So I've got it back together and I'm fairly confident that the vent is doing it's job.

I gassed up and rode to work today. I flogged it real good on the freeway. It runs good overall and continues to accelerate at WOT, though it feels most responsive at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Seems to me like it should pull harder at WOT. It's definitely not unridable, but it makes me wonder if I'm missing some power.

Now we will see what happens tonight on my way home. Air temps will be down and there is always this one little valley where the temps really dip. That's where I've noticed the problem happen consistently.

like has been mentioned....when you hit that little valley and the temps dip a tad, just nudge the choke a little and if it feels good and starts to straighten out, 1 size up on the main....you might have had a couple of different variables, but i think you are down to the last one.....good luck...let us know how ya make out....

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
02 Feb 2010 00:09 - 02 Feb 2010 00:13 #345990 by savedrider
Made the run home tonight and rolled to WOT many times. Each time it accelerated well and pulled hard. Overall the bike felt great. I thought I noticed a bit of hesitation about a 1/2 mile before I got off the freeway. I gave it some choke, but it definitely did not make it run better, it felt worse until I turned the choke off.

So for now things seem good. I may have had a tank venting issue. I'll just keep an eye on things and update this thread if anything changes. I usually only ride the Z1 once per week nowadays and I'm going to be taking it out of service for a fork seal job soon.

Thanks to everyone (keith1, Patton, Old Man Rock, mark1122, TeK9iNe, chance) for all your help thus far!

Last edit: 02 Feb 2010 00:13 by savedrider.