Fine tuning main jetting

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
31 Jan 2010 16:10 #345674 by savedrider
Fine tuning main jetting was created by savedrider
I'm having trouble with a bog at WOT at 60 mph + on the freeway. When I whack it wide open it does not pull to redline, just feels like it's starving for gas. However I know the main jet must be close since it only seems to happen late at night when the air temps are cool. In the daytime the problem doesn't seem as noticeable.

I currently have VM26 carbs with 120 mains, pods and 4-1 Kerker exhaust. My question is should I just go up one jet size at a time to get it right? I'm getting ready to order some 122.5 mains or should I go with 125's?

Thanks

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
31 Jan 2010 16:29 #345685 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Fine tuning main jetting
In the daytime the air density is thinner, therefore thw mixture that gets to your engine is richer. In the evening when the air becomes more dense the bike leans out slightly, just as you suspect.

I would personally go with the 125's, but you may end up needing something larger to obtain max power.

Good luck!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
31 Jan 2010 17:14 #345699 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Fine tuning main jetting
i agree go up 2 sizes at a time, and 1 at a time when u are close.
what did u change to necessitate a jet change?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
31 Jan 2010 17:20 #345702 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic Fine tuning main jetting
Thanks for the input guys. Not sure what changed really. I did clean the UNI foam pods recently and did not oil them as much as previously so they may be flowing better. Other than that I'm not sure. Like I mentioned the problem only seems to really show when at night on the freeway when air temps are cool.

More
31 Jan 2010 17:43 #345713 by chance
Replied by chance on topic Fine tuning main jetting
I have the same setup and same jetting and have no bog at anytime.. Pulls red great

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
31 Jan 2010 18:53 - 31 Jan 2010 18:54 #345746 by mark1122
savedrider wrote:

Thanks for the input guys. Not sure what changed really. Other than that I'm not sure. Like I mentioned the problem only seems to really show when at night on the freeway when air temps are cool.

Do u see what i see?

I did clean the UNI foam pods recently and did not oil them as much as previously so they may be flowing better.
If they are indeed FLOWING BETTER, then u would be leaner leaner. try adding choke, to see if it helps.
:silly:

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 31 Jan 2010 18:54 by mark1122.

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
31 Jan 2010 20:31 #345762 by savedrider
chance wrote:

I have the same setup and same jetting and have no bog at anytime.. Pulls red great

Well I sure hope the jetting fixes it, if not then I'm not out much $$$$. Maybe I should try adding choke like mark1122 says before spending any cash.

More
31 Jan 2010 21:53 #345765 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Fine tuning main jetting
savedrider wrote:

I'm having trouble with a bog at WOT at 60 mph + on the freeway. When I whack it wide open it does not pull to redline, just feels like it's starving for gas....

If not already done, would test run with fuel tank cap ajar, to determine whether there might be a tank venting problem.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
31 Jan 2010 23:01 - 31 Jan 2010 23:07 #345767 by savedrider
Man these are all great ideas!

I actually had worked on a fuel leak I had on the gas tank fill neck recently. It always leaked fuel around the cap if I filled the tank past a certain level. Trouble was it had a ding in the fill neck and wasn't sealing properly.

Fairly recently I replaced the cap seal and did some bodywork to the fill neck. It doesn't leak gas anymore and I can fill it to the top now. Now I am wondering if the tank vent is working. That might make a lot of sense since I've had some starting trouble lately too and it seems like fuel wasn't getting to the bowls. Got a brand new Pingel fuel tap so the fuel tap definitely isn't the problem. Question, how do I go about getting the fuel cap to vent properly if I can determine it's not doing it's job?

Last edit: 31 Jan 2010 23:07 by savedrider.

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
31 Jan 2010 23:05 - 31 Jan 2010 23:05 #345769 by savedrider
The plot thickens even more...I was coming home from a short errand the other day and it starting cutting out. This wasn't at WOT, instead just normal street riding. I knew the tank was getting low on fuel so I just switched to reserve. However, it never recovered and ran like crap for the next couple blocks till I made it home. You could be on to something with the tank venting issue. Looks like I've got some testing to do.

Last edit: 31 Jan 2010 23:05 by savedrider.

More
31 Jan 2010 23:25 #345770 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Fine tuning main jetting
More thoughts regarding possible fuel starvation - - -

Any foreign matter suspended in the fuel, such as paint over-spray, may hover about the petcock pick-up tube screens, and impede fuel flow into the petcock, especially under acceleration.

Petcock screens may quickly clog.
Could remove petcock and assure screen is clean.

And also flush tank by removing tank and swishing fresh gasoline inside and fast-dumping gas out the filler hole.

A clogged inline fuel filter may also cause fuel starvation.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
01 Feb 2010 04:54 #345783 by mark1122
can u open the tank lid while riding? if it has a lock, u would need a spare key. if u are riding and experience this issue, u could open the tank lid to provide air as a test.
u should be able to unscrew the bottom from the tank cap and disassemble it, to check the vent.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)