Running stock Jetting with Pods and 4 into 1

More
23 Oct 2009 05:38 #329102 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Running stock Jetting with Pods and 4 into 1
Just on a side note that follows the others...

Don't be discouraged in the regards of jetting... I went through two sets of mains and slow jets (pilots) before getting her right not to mention several Needle jet clip changes. I may eventually even increase my air flow jets.

Yup, no doubt about it... It's a PITA but it is necessary to get the old girl just right and it will make one hell of a difference in performance and for breezing through emissions if required in your state.

You/we need this dialed in while out riding for when everyone else out there in cars talking on their cell phones not paying attention, you need to have the old girl up in performance so as to twist the throttle if necessary and get the hell out of the way real quick when required...

Don't be in a rush to ride, get her dialed in and now ride safely! ;)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• vintagestyle7
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Oct 2009 13:12 #329751 by vintagestyle7
Replied by vintagestyle7 on topic Running stock Jetting with Pods and 4 into 1
Thanks OMR, I've been gathering jetting info and plan on ordering 112 and 115 mains with the 17 pilot from Jeff to start with. I'm actually at about 600 ft above sea level in San Diego (Poway to be specific). We're about 15 miles inland and we'll see 80 degree days throughout the year. We're going into our riding season so I'm dying but you're right. I need to be patient. I don't want her to give up the ghost anytime soon...

I'll update the post once I have some plug chop results or need to vent...

Thanks again for all the replies!

Brian

1979 KZ650 B
1975 CB500 T

More
26 Oct 2009 17:55 #329808 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Running stock Jetting with Pods and 4 into 1
If you've got a baffle in the 4-1 start with the 112.5 mains, 17.5 pilots, and re-clip the needles to the #4 slot (second from the bottom). That should put you very close if not dead on. Take her out and run the hell out of her up to redline and see if you catch any hesitation. If you do you'll have to up to the 115 mains. When I had emgo pods and a Mac 4-1 with the stock baffle in it I was running that set up. Once I ripped the baffle out I had to up to 117.5 mains, and when that was too damn loud for me and I put a baffle back in (one that flowed more than the stock Mac baffle) I was running the 115 mains. Like OMR said, it can be a bit of a pain in the ass to get the jetting right, but the wrenching and tuning is half the fun with these old bikes IMHO. If I wanted something I never had to put a wrench on I'd buy a brand new bike. Maybe that's just me though...

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

• vintagestyle7
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Oct 2009 16:32 #330161 by vintagestyle7
Anarki... you rock! Definitely appreciate the insight. Jets are on order and I'm looking forward to seeing redline. What plugs are you running? and what baffle did you end up running?

I'm a big fan of old bikes and I agree... if I didn't want a project I would have bought a much newer bike. I'm stoked to have found this board. I use to visit my brother when he was stationed in Omaha but that was some time ago... just thinking I could buy you a beer to say thanks...

Brian

1979 KZ650 B
1975 CB500 T

• vintagestyle7
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Nov 2009 09:31 #332622 by vintagestyle7
Worked perfectly Anarki... 112.5 mains with 17.5 pilots. I had two carb stacks both from 650's and since the one on the bench had 102's I assumed the one I was running did to. Nope, 92.5's so I'm glad I didn't push it and end up exploding it!

The bike pulls hard all the way to redline!

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Regards,
Brian

1979 KZ650 B
1975 CB500 T

More
10 Nov 2009 15:21 - 10 Nov 2009 15:22 #332677 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Running stock Jetting with Pods and 4 into 1
Well you got it running. Good go! Now time for pictures! :laugh:

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000
Last edit: 10 Nov 2009 15:22 by roy-b-boy-b.