Slicing up my hands trying....I need some help

• 550A2
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • keep the shiny side up
More
24 Aug 2009 21:38 #316238 by 550A2
So i replaced my carb holders on my 82 kz 550 with TK carbs, and im running the stock air box. I am having a hell of a time getting the carbs to seat in the carb holders.

i lubed them up with silicone grease and it didnt seem to help at all. they look like they are lined up and ready to go in but i can push and twist and rattle all day and nothing.

ive been trying for the past hour!!!!!!:angry:

i need help.

I also broke a screw that holds the carb holder and had to drill it out from a 6mm bolt to a 9mm, SHIT!

Idk, my patience may be running low and its getting late but this is my only way to get around at the moment! and i gotta get her going..

thanks fellas, i would appretiate any tips i can get at this point.

luke

82 Honda ATC 200-sold
82 Yamaha Virago 920-sold
82 Yamaha YZ250j-kept
80 Suzuki GS 550-sold
82 Kawasaki KZ550 A2-ride all the time
79 Kawasaki KZ650 C-sold
73 Kawasaki Z1 900E-paid $200, sold $6000
86 Yamaha Radian YX600-new project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kzkenny
  • User
  • My wife says it's a sickness...
More
24 Aug 2009 21:52 #316241 by kzkenny
Hey Luke, been so long since I ran a stock box but I can relate. I'm not sure what order you are doing it in but I seem to remember that it was easier to get the carbs into the holders and then do the boots between the airbox and the carbs. I would soak the boots in really hot water to get them really pliable then quickly pull one, dry it then install it. I'm sure some one right now is going HUH? but it worked for me at the time. With the boots out of the way you could get some pressure on the carbs to get them into the holders. Probably not the factory recomended method and probably someone has a better idea..but it worked for me at the time..kzk

79 kz650SR, fenders and rear shocks from Z1000 classic
78 650c, clubmans, 750 engine,solo seat etc..
65 el camino
Puch scooter and other crap too numerous to mention...

• kzkenny
  • User
  • My wife says it's a sickness...
More
24 Aug 2009 21:54 #316242 by kzkenny
That is assuming your 82 has the same style boots and box set up that im thiking of like on my 79..kzk

79 kz650SR, fenders and rear shocks from Z1000 classic
78 650c, clubmans, 750 engine,solo seat etc..
65 el camino
Puch scooter and other crap too numerous to mention...

More
24 Aug 2009 22:08 #316245 by TerryK
First, clean all the grease off the carbs and the flanges. try using some kind of lube that's thin and will evaporate in time. Now try to push the carbs on at a bit of an angle so one carb goes on first, closely followed by the next one etc. This doesn't always work but it may for you.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
24 Aug 2009 22:12 #316246 by toadson
Make sure you have all the clamps loosened as much as you can too. Sometimes you think you have them loose enough, but they keep the carbs from going in all the way and become a pain. It does seem to help to push in one side of the carbs first as Terry mentioned.

You are talking about pushing the carbs into the boots on the engine correct?

If you're struggling with the boots that go to the airbox, I like to use a trick someone on the forum recommended and fold the boots back over themselves. It helps a lot doing that if that's the problem you're having.

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872

More
25 Aug 2009 04:36 #316274 by JMKZHI
It sounds like he's got new carb holders. Correct?
Thoroughly clean off the silicone sealant. I use silicone spray on rubber parts. As mentioned, loosen the clamps so that they flop around, then give it a try. I've actually used a ratcheting woodworking clamp to press them in.

More
25 Aug 2009 05:40 #316278 by ndeli55
Here is what I do, and I have had to do it a few times recently. with the box in place and all boots on the bike, I start by loosening the airbox retainer bolts just enough to slide the airbox back. Remove the tank, this will give you more room to play. Then spray everything with WD40. Its not a true lubricant, but it is slick enough to work, and I believe it makes the rubber more pliable. Plus its mainly kerosene so it will burn in the combustion chamber.

From here slide the carbs in sideways, above the carb holders and airbox boots. To get them to seat, I slide the engine side of the carbs into place by angling them downward into the holders. The airbox side of the carbs I let force the top of the airbox boots down, until they fold closed. Now give the carbs some force into the holders, and you should hear a slight pop, once you set them in place. After the holders are in place take a finger and guide the tops of the airbox boots in place working from bottom to top. Tighten clamps, and replace springs, install the throttle cable and you are done.

A few things make it easier, loosen the carb holder clamps until they dangle loosely, and besure to push your airbox boot springs ALL THE WAY BACK. The grease you are using is probably taking up too much space and actually making your ID too small. Get that stuff out of there and it may go a lot easier. I hope this helps.

1978 kz650B stock
1973 rd250 (in 1000 pieces)

• 550A2
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • keep the shiny side up
More
25 Aug 2009 07:05 #316285 by 550A2
yeah brand new intake manifold boots/carb holders what ever ya wanna call em.

There is some great ideas mentioned i havent tried yet, Ill keep on tryin after i get home from school today.

Have to hitch a ride from someone dammit. lol.:blink:

Thank you all very much for the help on such short notice, ill get back on this evening and tell ya how it goes.

Luke

82 Honda ATC 200-sold
82 Yamaha Virago 920-sold
82 Yamaha YZ250j-kept
80 Suzuki GS 550-sold
82 Kawasaki KZ550 A2-ride all the time
79 Kawasaki KZ650 C-sold
73 Kawasaki Z1 900E-paid $200, sold $6000
86 Yamaha Radian YX600-new project

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
25 Aug 2009 07:45 #316288 by TeK9iNe
Are you sure you bought the right ones?

Have you tried to install an intake boot to one carb with the carbs off the bike?

Check the bores with a dial caliber or T bore guage or whatever... they could be wrong.

And yeah...

toadson said: Make sure you have all the clamps loosened as much as you can too. Sometimes you think you have them loose enough, but they keep the carbs from going in all the way and become a pain.

Had that one once! Drove me nuts! Duh... :laugh:

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
25 Aug 2009 09:32 #316293 by 79MKII
I think the difficulty you're having is one of the main reasons many of us have gone to individual air filters! :)

I'm not sure if this will work on the KZ's, but I was having the same problem on my ZRX and got a good tip from the ZRX web site. Roll up the boots that go into the air box if possible. This gives you a lot more room room to work so you can get the carbs seated in the manifolds. The rubber on the ZRX rolled up nicely and stayed out of the way - not sure if that will work on the KZ but wanted to mention it. Good luck and keep us posted. Definitely one of the worst jobs in my opinion unless you're using individual air filters.

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

More
25 Aug 2009 10:16 #316300 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Slicing up my hands trying....I need some help
I use a ratcheting cable pulley. :) JK, make sure the boot clamps are loose, and the boots and carbs are clean. Set the front wheel near a wall or something else immovable and push. Also, a little side to side to help them line up works as well. It also means you are only pushing in one or two carbs at a time rather than all 4. why couldn't Kawi have put on a manifold and a single carb. A good 2 stage carb and equal length intakes is all I ask. :)

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
25 Aug 2009 17:22 #316369 by Nats82
Hey Luke,
Been there and done that! My hands were getting raw. I had a similar problem with my 550ltd. It wasn't the carb holders, it was the ducts to the air box. One was hard as a rock, how old they are I'm not sure, I came home from work, stretched the opening by shoveing on a tool handle, and stuck it under the hood for about an hour or so. That son of a gun was really flexable, had to work quick, but it went on very easy, just a thought....if there is a will there is a way. Good luck, and may the force be with you!