New to KZ's, lots of questions

More
03 Jun 2009 14:02 #296055 by boots
Replied by boots on topic New to KZ's, lots of questions
I use carb. cleaner to test leaks. Same as wd40 i guess. I know what you're talking about, reving high for no reason! Mine did it before, But not after I cleaned them!I used vinegar instead of lemon juice.It works very good!!

Good Luck, Boots

present bikes 1976 KZ900, 1978 KZ650 Past bikes Too many to remember!!Mostly Kawasakis and a few Sportsters

81 cb650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
03 Jun 2009 16:03 #296090 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic New to KZ's, lots of questions
Mine drove me nuts for a while, but with the help on this board I finally havew a damned good running machine. The PO somehow managed to jamb the carbs on and folded over one of the inboard boots. It actually sealed sometimes and would run great, until I hit a bump. I'd fiddle with it, and it would start running great again, but I had no idea why. So when I finally took the carbs off and discovered the bent over boot, I knew why. But to top that off, when I installed all new boots, I discovered that whoever put the contraption together, also synched the carbs, "adjusting out" the huge vacuum leak created by the bent over boot. Fixed that, ran great, til a fuel filter busted and I tried to shunt it and ride anyway. Only made it about a hundred yards and one of my carbs started flooding. Removed the float bowl, jiggled the needle and couldn't find the dirt. Removed it several times and couldn't find the dirt. Then someone suggested not only removing the needle, but also the seat. TADAAA! There was a very small piece of grit sitting on top of the seat, too big to come through the hole, but big enough to keep the needle from seating.
So yeah, she'll probably give you a few surprises, but these guys will work you through it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.