CA/AZ KZ with CR Specials Jetting for Emissions?

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
08 May 2009 04:31 #288995 by tachrev
Old Man Rock wrote:

Ok, basically lie my ass off, lean her just for the test and get the hell out of there to put her back where she likes it.... :laugh:

That's been SOP for me in car inspections here in Delaware.

I used to swap carb's for inspection in my Mustang.:P

Luckily, bikes are a little easier here...all the lights on the bike have to work, must have a chain guard, and exhaust 95dB or under.

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2009 06:42 #289015 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic CA/AZ KZ with CR Specials Jetting for Emissions?
I lived in phoenix from 95 until 03. I passed the emissions with wilder engine tune set ups than what you have listed.

I always do a idle drop test . none of the other jets matter beyond the pilot jet and mixture screw adjustment. go fat until the idle drops - then go lean until the same thing happens just a little drop in the idle speed. go exactly half way from the two settings you have just found and that is optimal for performance at the present conditions. (co = 3 maybe) ( hc will go up with too low of idle)

go lean a half turn on all 4 carbs, keep the idle at/around 1000 - take the test - re idle drop and ride til next year

if you get longer duration camshafts I'd advance the ignition timing 3 or 5 degrees at idle.( for the test only )

get the idle to go up and down with all 4 fuel/air screws first and when done with all 4 , re-adjust with the final idle speed with the adjustment finger screw. after a couple times it is a snap just hard to write and describe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.