PODS or Stock Airbox?

More
06 Mar 2006 19:23 #28882 by DanOz7Five0
Replied by DanOz7Five0 on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
kzrider.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=18321 This thread may give you some idea where to start with rejetting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
More
07 Mar 2006 11:53 #29048 by Shoe48
Replied by Shoe48 on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
I have read a lot on this subject,, anyway what I hear and read is that pods are ok for mechanical carbs but not so good for CV carbs ,,it is a vaccumn thing that the air box is better at to make the sides work better ,, I am sure I have opened the can of worms box now :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

More
19 Mar 2006 02:13 #32441 by elcid
Replied by elcid on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
what about velocity stacks & those screens on them? Is there a performance gain with stacks? Are there screens that block dust, dirt AND water? I like the look of those convex screens but I can't see those blocking water...

More
19 Mar 2006 09:44 #32500 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
Velocity stacks look cool but are racing only. If you're not planning on rebuilding the motor every week, don't mess with stacks. The only thing they will filter out is pebbles, large bugs and small birds.

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
19 Mar 2006 13:14 #32567 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
I went with the pods and it takes me about five minutes to pull my carbs now. :)

I got the dual oval K&N pods, with two outlets. I think this helps with the turbulence issues... I know I haven't had any problems with them.

As for tuning your carbs, just go up a size on your main jet. Hell isn't tuning your bike half the fun?

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
20 Mar 2006 12:46 #32843 by mgweiss
Replied by mgweiss on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
I used to have surging/turbulance problems with my pods until I upped the main jets one size. I just had it set up too lean.

More
20 Mar 2006 17:30 #32921 by dutchz
I'm running UNI pods for budget reasons (K&N are $$$$) but they're probably just as good, way better quality than the cheap emgos. Some people actually say foam filters better than gauze (k&N), all else equal eg well cleaned and oiled. The UNI pods are black foam with chrome caps so they look the part as well.

I rejetted when I got them - no change to exhaust system - main jet up two sizes and raised needle one notch to deal with flatspot. Now that I have rebuilt the topend and have a fresh set of hookers it looks like I'm running a lean once again, so I'll be getting some larger mains soon. No trouble with turbulence so far, but pods will inevatably be more sensitive to wind/turbulence.

1974 Kawasaki Z1

More
07 Feb 2008 13:58 #193320 by dutchz
Hey all... just a little update on pods. Following the bike's rebuild I am now running it with K&N's instead of UNI pod filters, so I can compare the two.
Just wanted to let you know that the bike seems to be a LOT less sensitive to crosswind / draft with the K&N filters than it was with the UNI's. With the UNI's the carbs would even respond to small changes like moving my legs in/out etc. With the K&N pods this has virtually no effect.
Hope this helps people that are in the market for some pods. I'd recommend the K&N's over UNI filters.

1974 Kawasaki Z1

More
07 Feb 2008 14:39 #193330 by bemoore
Replied by bemoore on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
jtmcculloch wrote:

for street drivability the stock airbox is the only way to go.<br><br>Post edited by: jtmcculloch, at: 2006/03/06 18:39

I'll agree with this one. My 650 sat in a basement for several years before I got it running again. It had pods (UNI's I think), and I could never get it to come off idle smoothly until I put the stock airbox back on it. Also, pods generate a LOT more induction noise. If you like that, great. If not, think twice before switching.

77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

More
07 Feb 2008 15:23 #193334 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
With good supple carb boots I can get my carbs on and off just as fast and just as easy as with pods. No worries about crosswind or rain. Had pods but never will again. BUT if you must have pods go K&N. Pass on the cheapies and you will thank yourself.

Quick question: It seems to me that pods are cheaper to manufacture and stock than the big plastic air box, filter and rubbers. Also by some accounts are easier to assemble. If the performance was the same or better why wouldn't the Japanese make these as stock? Open to theories!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
07 Feb 2008 16:10 #193339 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
Loco, that would be a good question to pose to Kevin Cameron over at Cycle World. I am going to guess that there are some sound engineering reasons for manufacturers choosing the airbox over pods.

EDIT: I posted the question over on CW's forums. I don't know whether Kevin will respond or not.

Post edited by: N0NB, at: 2008/02/07 19:27

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
07 Feb 2008 17:07 #193348 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
If you have engine mods such as big bore kit or cams I can understand having pods as the stock airbox might struggle to keep up. I had pods on 25 years ago. But with a relatively stock motor I noticed a loss of bottom end (yes, ran better top end) which is really where you do 90% of your driving. Plus I personally did not like the piff,piff,piff,piff sound at idle, so I went to a K&N ($11.00 in 1982!)in the stock box. Yes, it is a major pain to remove carbs with stock air box but once jetting is in they don't have to come off much. Just my .02...

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!