PODS or Stock Airbox?

More
06 Mar 2006 09:46 #28658 by peachc
PODS or Stock Airbox? was created by peachc
I am at a point now in my project which I can either throw the old airbox back into the bike or go with individual pods. I just wanted to find out what the difference between the two would be? and if there would have to be modification to the carb if I did decide to run PODS. I still am going to run the stock exhaust on the KZ750, but in the future may switch this also. So any advice is welcome!:whistle:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2006 10:06 #28665 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
With pods one will have to likely rejet and retune the carbs, I've read here and elsewhere that pods are sensitive to side winds and rain and, if, like me, you ride on dusty gravel roads will probably require more cleaning.

So far I've not seen much in the way of dyno comparisons to know whether pods are worth the trouble. I'm happy with the stock airbox.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
06 Mar 2006 10:46 #28675 by peachc
Replied by peachc on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
One reason why I was looking to get away from the stock box was to have easy access to taking the carbs off, but I guess if I am going to have to have higher maintance, those would be more difficult. I am in the country more or less, so I would also have to deal with the dust and stuff during the summer, ha. I was just wondering if there was a performance difference which would make it worthwhile, ha.

More
06 Mar 2006 15:01 #28752 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
Pulling carbs of with airbox is the biggest hassle in the world. Can't beat stock setup for relibility though. What are we talking once every couple of years pull airbox?

More
06 Mar 2006 15:09 #28755 by DanOz7Five0
Replied by DanOz7Five0 on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
Anybody have a can of worms?! :P Pods or airbox is like an oil or helmet thread.

I have them and like them, but when my bikes at work and its suposed to rain I have to throw a sheet of carbaord over the bike to keep the pods dry, it does make a difference when they are wet, but I wouldnt go back.

More
06 Mar 2006 15:38 #28762 by jtmcculloch
Replied by jtmcculloch on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
just my opinion from my own experiance.

Pods are fine for racing when all you do is nail it and stay in it. but for street drivability the stock airbox is the only way to go.

Post edited by: jtmcculloch, at: 2006/03/06 18:39

76 KZ1075
93 ZR1100
71 Moto-guzzi 750
2001 ZR-7S

More
06 Mar 2006 16:24 #28776 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
Been running pods sice the early 80's. Same set too. I clean and re-oil thme every spring. I have never had any of the so called problems, wind, rain or dirt. I live in the high desert of Kalifornia and the winds get up to 60 MPH. I still ride the bike and have never experienced the wind problems I have heard about. My bike runs better and the carbs are very easy to work on now. I will NEVER go back. The only problem is getting the jetting correct but once that is done their great and even that was easier than trying to put the stock airbox back.

More
06 Mar 2006 16:48 #28787 by oldkaw79
Replied by oldkaw79 on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
Another nice thing about getting rid of the stock air box is you gain a ton of storage space uder the seat. Pods are the way to go. I have never had a problem with drivability.

More
06 Mar 2006 17:51 #28817 by peachc
Replied by peachc on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
So then my next question would be, ha, What kind of PODs are you guys running and what, if any modifications(Jet Size, etc) would you suggest to do for a stock exhaust on a 80' kZ 750?

More
06 Mar 2006 18:05 #28822 by Chupa
Replied by Chupa on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
Pods are the way to go in my opinion. K&N is on mine. Cost a little more, but it was worth it.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
06 Mar 2006 18:56 #28862 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
Hey Peach,
Go for the pods if you want but keep everything you had from the stock setup.

A bike with pods is worth LESS than a bike with the stock air box! I mean it's worth a BUNCH less!

Collectors look for a bike with low mileage and a bike that has had been treated respectfully.

PODS = ROMP = Hard Use = Lower Value

Go for the pods if you wish but keep in mind that most owners who choose pods do so because of their fears of reassembling the carbs with the stock airbox. Not because they think the pods work any better!

Bank on it!
KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
06 Mar 2006 18:57 #28865 by JR
Replied by JR on topic PODS or Stock Airbox?
I have K&Ns which were installed by a PO. The carbs were rejetted and I gotta say I' happy with them. Romoving carbs is a snip.

However, I would'nt do it myself now for the simple reason that the carbs on my beast are Keihins and parts are hard to come by. If you have Mikunis you may be in a better position to look for alternative jet sizes.
...........................................................................................................
Woodstock ON Canada
1980 kz750E1, 4->1, K&N pods

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust