1981 kz only running on choke?

• grizzlyadams
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Apr 2009 14:53 #286286 by grizzlyadams
Replied by grizzlyadams on topic 1981 kz only running on choke?
Thanks for your guy's info I'll go pull the carbs back down and recheck the pilots. thanks again

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2009 15:25 - 29 Apr 2009 15:27 #286316 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic 1981 kz only running on choke?
grizzlyadams wrote:

no on the idle screw, but on the plunger are talking about the rubber boot on the outside of it or is there one inside that I would have to take apart to see?

there is a boot on the shaft, but the plunger has a rubber seat. i hope you didn't soak the carbs in cleaner with the plungers still in. i still think the idle circuit is plugged, the the pilot jet or the idle circuit passages between the pilot jet and the carb throat. when you soaked the carbs did you crack the rack? did you remove the sync screws?
Last edit: 29 Apr 2009 15:27 by hoghaterkaw.

More
29 Apr 2009 15:39 #286321 by AXL
Replied by AXL on topic 1981 kz only running on choke?
My 77 Kaw KZ1000 is a VERY cold natured ANIMAL! I watch the oil pressure gage I installed on the right side of the block to tell me when its OK to close off the choke completely. Once the oil pressure drops to below 4psi and is not jumping to 10 or 15psi on acceleration I know its time to close the choke.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
29 Apr 2009 16:29 #286336 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic 1981 kz only running on choke?
hog hater is correct on"idle circuit" thats is what i meant...i pulled "everything"!!!! in the bowls that would come out and the air mix screws and then re poked all jets/and pin holes with a fine copper wire soaking in a small dish of carb cleaner,and re washed the idle circuits passages and blew out again...it solved my only running on choke issue that had showed up after a cleaning i had done,and clogged or pushed somthing into the idle circuits...i pulled em,re-did em...presto...i bet thats what ya got going on...good luck

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
29 Apr 2009 16:57 - 29 Apr 2009 17:00 #286346 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic 1981 kz only running on choke?
trianglelaguna wrote:

hog hater is correct on"idle circuit" thats is what i meant...i pulled "everything"!!!! in the bowls that would come out and the air mix screws and then re poked all jets/and pin holes with a fine copper wire soaking in a small dish of carb cleaner,and re washed the idle circuits passages and blew out again...it solved my only running on choke issue that had showed up after a cleaning i had done,and clogged or pushed somthing into the idle circuits...i pulled em,re-did em...presto...i bet thats what ya got going on...good luck

when i went through my 28 s the second time, i concentrated on the choke pick-up tubes that go down into bowls( i think thats what they are) and used 3 cans carb clean and the compressor....i took a bath in carb clean under pressure, but those puppies fired and ran great on the second revolution of motor.i also pulled slides and semi polished them and yanked throttle shaft and choke shaft and polished them..the carb clean tool from z-1 helped a lot....good for reaming out those tubes....just my .02.....keith
Last edit: 29 Apr 2009 17:00 by keith1. Reason: additional info

• grizzlyadams
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Apr 2009 07:20 #286500 by grizzlyadams
Replied by grizzlyadams on topic 1981 kz only running on choke?
well I pulled the carbs back apart, the pilot circiut was clear and everything looks good in there, dose anybody know where I can get either a rebuild kit or new choke barrels and seats, my outer rubber boots for the plungers are ripped
I think that where my problem is, maybe?

More
30 Apr 2009 14:28 #286560 by vincentmoy
Replied by vincentmoy on topic 1981 kz only running on choke?
How you tried www.z1enterprises.com/ ??

KZ750 LTD
Miles: Unknown (speedo cable broke)