cleaning a whole rack of carbs?

More
30 Apr 2009 18:36 #286638 by rkan
Replied by rkan on topic cleaning a whole rack of carbs?
A friend of mine told me that some auto parts stores have carb soaking kits that come with a bucket and solvent I think. Has anyone seen kits like these?

1978 KZ650B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2009 18:58 #286646 by shighley
Replied by shighley on topic cleaning a whole rack of carbs?
Bicycle Lee; In your first post you mentioned getting 28mm carburetors. I believe the pictures you posted are 26mm single inlet pumper versions. If I'm correct, the 28's have two screws on the caps and the 26's have three. I need to know if I'm wrong about this because I'm bidding on a set as I type. Either way, you need to know for jetting. Please straighten me out on this one and ride safe, Steve

\'74 Z1-A, Bought new, worn out 3 times, being ridden now
\'83 XVZ12TK, was daily driver until frame broke
\'78 KZ650SR-D1A, Son's bike, I'm the wrench (He's young)!

More
30 Apr 2009 19:12 #286651 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic cleaning a whole rack of carbs?
shighley wrote:

Bicycle Lee; In your first post you mentioned getting 28mm carburetors. I believe the pictures you posted are 26mm single inlet pumper versions. If I'm correct, the 28's have two screws on the caps and the 26's have three. I need to know if I'm wrong about this because I'm bidding on a set as I type. Either way, you need to know for jetting. Please straighten me out on this one and ride safe, Steve

26 s and 28 s from the same basic time frame have 3 screws holding on the tops....he could very well have 26 pumpers...the only way to really know is measure across the engine side inside diameter.....

More
30 Apr 2009 22:53 #286828 by Bicycle Lee
Replied by Bicycle Lee on topic cleaning a whole rack of carbs?
just checked and the digital caliper confirms: these are 28mm

1978 KZ1000 police

More
30 Apr 2009 23:00 #286837 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic cleaning a whole rack of carbs?
rkan try not to use those carb soak kits as only a last resort you have to remove all rubber componets as the carb soak will deform and destroy the rubber wich usally means completely spliting the carbs apart and removing every componet making sure that you get any rubber parts out.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
01 May 2009 07:59 #286974 by Bicycle Lee
timebomb33 wrote:

rkan try not to use those carb soak kits as only a last resort you have to remove all rubber componets as the carb soak will deform and destroy the rubber wich usally means completely spliting the carbs apart and removing every componet making sure that you get any rubber parts out.

I was thinking the same thing, and since all the rubber parts of these ones seem fine, I figure why fiddle with it.... and potentially fiddle it up? Haha

1978 KZ1000 police

More
01 May 2009 09:25 #286984 by harm
Replied by harm on topic cleaning a whole rack of carbs?
I have done the lemon juice thing with great results and would recommend it if doing a complete tear down. From the pics you posted i think i would remove the bowls/jets and clean w/ aresol carb cleaner and compresed air as previously stated. If you do tear them down make sure you replace the o-rings on the fuel tubes that connect the carbs.

good luck!

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

More
01 May 2009 13:33 #287003 by Bicycle Lee
harm wrote:

I have done the lemon juice thing with great results and would recommend it if doing a complete tear down. From the pics you posted i think i would remove the bowls/jets and clean w/ aresol carb cleaner and compresed air as previously stated. If you do tear them down make sure you replace the o-rings on the fuel tubes that connect the carbs.

good luck!

when you say O rings, do you mean the rubber hoses themselves? the little wire hose clamps? What do you mean?
And do you mean, do the aerosol cleaner thing and THEN boiling the lemon juice thing? Should I remove the floats as well?

1978 KZ1000 police

More
02 May 2009 11:21 #287205 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic cleaning a whole rack of carbs?
If you're going to boil in lemon juice don't even worry about using any aerosol spray. In my experience, trying to use just spray cleaner usually results in having to pull the carbs off at least once more because no matter how diligent I am with the spray cleaner and compressed air I always end up with at least one passage that doesn't clean out all the way.

The O rings are inside the carb assemblies, and if you dip in a carb cleaner or other chemical such as that the rubber gets eaten away right along with the crud that's gumming up your carbs. With lemon juice you don't have to worry about that, so you don't have to tear the carbs down off the rack and replace those (unless you've already got bad O rings that are leaking fuel). IMHO you should get yourself a big roaster (one of those cheap tinfoil ones would do the trick) and enough lemon juice to cover the carbs (find a cooking supply store near you, you'll be able to get large quantities of lemon juice cheap there). Set up a burner outside(side burner on a grill would work, so would a little propane camp stove) and boil them bad boys out.

I'd pull the bowls and top covers, remove the slides if they are free, pull the floats and needles, and then boil the rest for 15 minutes. Rinse them real good afterwards and dry with compressed air. Put the bits back together and you're golden.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
02 May 2009 13:18 #287218 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic cleaning a whole rack of carbs?
send us some pictures when you are done as i would like to see the difference between lemon juice and ultrasonic cleaners i have never heard of lemon juice until now but it does make sense and if nothing else it will smell good when your putting them back together. even if you have been doing this crazy job as long as i have you can still learn something new everyday.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
02 May 2009 16:54 #287253 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic cleaning a whole rack of carbs?
Here's some shots of mine, the flash on my digi made them look way more chalky than they actually are. They got a little chalky after boiling them, but after rubbing them down with some PB blaster they took on a much more normal color. The bike runs amazingly better after boiling them out. It was running good before, after doing a pretty thorough spray bottle carb cleaner (B12 Chemtool from Berrymans), but after the boiling all the hesitation from the bottom end that I'd been fighting with tuning out has been gone. Anyway, here's the pics:

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
03 May 2009 07:28 #287432 by harm
Replied by harm on topic cleaning a whole rack of carbs?
Sorry i wasn't very clear in my post. Boil them OR use aerosol carb cleaner is what i meant. When i boiled my carbs i disassembled the rack but i suppose you could do the rack as an assembly as anarki650 suggested. I replaced all of the o-rings in the carbs to reduce the possibility of leaks

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]