cleaning a whole rack of carbs?

More
29 Apr 2009 14:08 #286264 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic cleaning a whole rack of carbs?
Yep, I just did a set yesterday after hearing about it from a buddy who's used lemon juice on a couple dozen racks of carbs. After a couple of minutes at slow boil the lemon juice starts to foam up a little (careful not to boil over) and you can see all the sh*t just dissolving. After boiling them for 15 minutes (might have to roll them around once to make sure you get the entire carbs) rinse them really well and blow them dry with compressed air. The carb bodies will be kinda chalky looking at this point. I used a toothbrush and PB blaster to put a little luster back into them and then put my internals back in. I had pulled the bowls off, removed the floats, float needles and seats, jets, and air/pilot screws as well as the top covers and slides just to make sure no crap got itself wedged inside those passages.
After putting the carbs back together and bolting them up not only do they look great but the bikes running MUCH better with all the jet passages finally cleaned out.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2009 14:08 #286265 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic cleaning a whole rack of carbs?
Someone, perhaps here on KZR a while back, mentioned some sort of Yamaha dip that the carb assembly can be dunked into without removing anything.

More
29 Apr 2009 14:41 #286280 by Bicycle Lee
Replied by Bicycle Lee on topic cleaning a whole rack of carbs?
JMKZHI wrote:

Someone, perhaps here on KZR a while back, mentioned some sort of Yamaha dip that the carb assembly can be dunked into without removing anything.

I'm listening.... haha

1978 KZ1000 police

More
29 Apr 2009 14:58 #286291 by anarki650
I read about that Yamaha dip on the GL forum I frequent too. Someone over there posted that Yamaha changed the formula to be more "green" and it's basically crap now. The new stuff is still available through any Yamaha dealer I guess, not sure if it's worthwhile anymore though.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
29 Apr 2009 22:12 #286421 by Bicycle Lee
WHOA these things are dirtier than I expected... haha...
What have I gotten myself into???

1978 KZ1000 police

More
29 Apr 2009 22:27 #286423 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic cleaning a whole rack of carbs?
if the jets and emulsion tube are really dirty just take your bowls and fill them with carb cleaner a let them soak overnight then come out in the morning and spray them off with more carb cleaner and then wipe then down with a clean lint free rag. blow them out with compressed air andviola clean jets and bowls at the same time then start on the pilot circuit passages re assemble and you'll be good to go once they are all together spray the bodys with the carb cleaner that is let and the will somewhat clean on the out side and clean on the inside when you are blowing out the passeges make sure there is air coming out of all of them.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
29 Apr 2009 23:57 #286431 by Bicycle Lee
do you think vinegar would be a sufficient substitute for lemon juice?

1978 KZ1000 police

More
30 Apr 2009 06:33 #286488 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic cleaning a whole rack of carbs?
Bicycle Lee wrote:

do you think vinegar would be a sufficient substitute for lemon juice?

Boiling vinegar is nasty. You will gag as it will irretate your throat. If you did it and I am not sure if you can it would have to be done outside...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
30 Apr 2009 07:42 #286506 by Bicycle Lee
I was planning on doing any sort of carb boiling outside. Shit, I may just have to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner... haha.
What about jets? Can I just soak them in carb cleaner? Will any sort of solvent work?

1978 KZ1000 police

More
30 Apr 2009 07:48 #286507 by anarki650
If you left the jets in the carbs when you boiled them in lemon juice they'd come out shiny and clean. That's how my buddy does his carbs, just pulls the top and bottom covers off, doesn't even remove the slides in some cases, and boils them.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
30 Apr 2009 07:48 #286508 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic cleaning a whole rack of carbs?
Bicycle Lee wrote:

I was planning on doing any sort of carb boiling outside. Shit, I may just have to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner... haha.
What about jets? Can I just soak them in carb cleaner? Will any sort of solvent work?

Use this stuff you can get it at Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts. It is by far the best product I have found. BERKEBILE 2+2® GUM CUTTER

...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
30 Apr 2009 10:39 #286531 by Bicycle Lee
well, I got some carb cleaner and I'm spraying them down while I am at work today. In looking around it seems like boiling is the last resort, but we'll see....

1978 KZ1000 police