Carb Rebuild Problems

• NewRider_NewerBuilder
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Mar 2009 08:34 #276720 by NewRider_NewerBuilder
Carb Rebuild Problems was created by NewRider_NewerBuilder
So in Omaha got the carbs off, and pulled them apart. only to find that a previous owner, had tried to remove the pilot and main jets, and failed and stripped the heads of both of them. So not sure how I am gonna get the jets out. So far got the float valve changed out, and i dont have a tool to pop the circlip to release the pilot needle.

Any ideas on getting the jets out?

First bike was a 1981 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD good bike to learn on, not to fast, not to slow, really stable.

Picked up a 80' KZ750 Twin non-running, last summer, got it running, have had carb problems galore will hopefully have it running in may.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2009 09:56 #276740 by uummm
Replied by uummm on topic Carb Rebuild Problems
well i dont know how to help you with the clip, however if you have a new set of jets, have you tried a set of easy outs? the hole is already in the jets, so if you can find a set small enough it may just do the trick.

More
30 Mar 2009 10:59 #276760 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Carb Rebuild Problems
Sears sells a Craftsman #009-52158 10 piece micro standard drill out and screw out set with case For $ 69.99. It's pricey but might be what will work for you.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• NewRider_NewerBuilder
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Mar 2009 12:16 #276776 by NewRider_NewerBuilder
Replied by NewRider_NewerBuilder on topic Carb Rebuild Problems
Thank you, I totally feel stupid for not thinking of that one.

Abandoned it for now until i can pick up an easyout. Went on to some of the electrical work on my bike.

First bike was a 1981 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD good bike to learn on, not to fast, not to slow, really stable.

Picked up a 80' KZ750 Twin non-running, last summer, got it running, have had carb problems galore will hopefully have it running in may.

More
30 Mar 2009 12:26 #276781 by jzanutto
Replied by jzanutto on topic Carb Rebuild Problems
being the cheapskate that I am, I always try all the tools in the garage before heading to the store.

So what I have done in the past is get a good sharp screwdriver and whack it with a little mallet just enough to embed it into the brass jet.

Then before you try to turn it, just make sure you are leaning on it pretty good. You just have to break that jet loose, then you're home free. I've done a few that way.

1978 KZ650B 2004 BMW R1150RT

More
30 Mar 2009 12:27 #276782 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Carb Rebuild Problems
Some places to get motorcycle electrical connectors and supplies are:
1. www.easternbeaver.com (funny name good stuff)
2. www.waytekwire.com
3. www.rallylights.com
4. www.z1enterprises.com
5. www.vintageconnections.com
6. www.electricalconnection.com

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• NewRider_NewerBuilder
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Mar 2009 19:13 #277201 by NewRider_NewerBuilder
Sooooo, have been unable to find an easy out system that can reach them, they are rather difficult to get to.

Took them to a Machine Shop, guy said, he may be able to get them out, but he isnt all that sure of it, and if he would be able to, it would cost me $75 bucks.

So I think I am going to search for a OEM or non-rebuild state, carbs or just the float bowls. Don't have a ton of money so its hard to do much with it, may have to find some universal carbs, or something and retrofit them. But haven't been able to find a retro fit kit, for this bike, so I may doing some fabrication.

In otherwords, restoring this bike to its original state is gone. I am now just simply going to build this as a kick ass custom daily rider.

• NewRider_NewerBuilder
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Mar 2009 19:35 #277216 by NewRider_NewerBuilder
Oh man just found for $169.99 buy it now on ebay a very clean and great condition set of carbs, that would either work, or could be easily retrofit...gah I hate having such a small budget for things like my bike.

More
01 Apr 2009 17:12 #277494 by GPZPDX
Replied by GPZPDX on topic Carb Rebuild Problems
$170 sounds like a deal.

Is it from the guy in Sweet Home,OR? He's got a good rep

1981 GPZ 550
1978 GS 1000 (x3)
1970 450 Mk IIID

More
01 Apr 2009 17:32 #277501 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Carb Rebuild Problems
NewRider_NewerBuilder wrote:

So in Omaha got the carbs off, and pulled them apart. only to find that a previous owner, had tried to remove the pilot and main jets, and failed and stripped the heads of both of them. So not sure how I am gonna get the jets out. So far got the float valve changed out, and i dont have a tool to pop the circlip to release the pilot needle.

Any ideas on getting the jets out?

what kind of carbs?

More
01 Apr 2009 22:20 #277599 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Carb Rebuild Problems
Find an easy out weld an extension on if needed. heat the area around the jet with a propane torch, give themawhack and then turn them out. If that doesnt work, heat the jets and expand them. Let them cool then reheat the aluminum around them and turn them out. If that dont work yell GET OUT! And yes they will come out. Is it yes we can or yes they will? Anyway ive ordered them to come out for u. So and so's gonna watch my back and the other guys gonna watch my front and im gonna run this alligator mouth all dat long till someone says shut that bad btch DOWN! Honey did the jets come out?:blink:

• NewRider_NewerBuilder
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Apr 2009 22:32 #277600 by NewRider_NewerBuilder
lets see, I dont have $170 bucks plus shipping.

they are Mikuni BS28 Carbs