KZ440 Carburetor Problems

More
22 Feb 2009 20:37 #267358 by turbotom
KZ440 Carburetor Problems was created by turbotom
New to the KZ world here, just posted in the new members section. I am looking for some help with getting my bike started, it is a 1980 KZ440. I inspected and cleaned the carburetor, but I am still not getting fuel. I can see through all the jets so I know they are not plugged, with the exception of the pilot jet in its passage which I assume is due to the passage taking a turn. I noticed that the vacuum hose on the right side carburetor has been plugged with a bolt by the previous owner, and I do not see a hole at all in one of the carburetor's pilot airscrew. The bike has new gas, new oil, a clean filter, and will fire up for a second with starter fluid in the carburetor. Is there something I am overlooking? It seems like it should be an easy fix. I appreciate any help. Thank you,
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2009 09:46 #267461 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic KZ440 Carburetor Problems
Are you getting gas out of the petcock?

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
23 Feb 2009 10:13 - 23 Feb 2009 10:15 #267467 by turbotom
Replied by turbotom on topic KZ440 Carburetor Problems
OKC_Kent wrote:

Are you getting gas out of the petcock?

Yes, I drained the old gas out before putting new gas in, so the petcock is working. I feel that the problem may be the pilot jet or the plugged vacuum hose. If I look into the pilot jet, should I be able to clearly see through? Should the vacuum hose on the right side carburetor be plugged? Thank you.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2009 10:15 by turbotom.

More
23 Feb 2009 13:22 - 23 Feb 2009 13:23 #267510 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic KZ440 Carburetor Problems
If the bowls do have gas and it won't start, take off the carbs and spray carb cleaner and air through the passages. look into the throats close to where the throttle blades close, there are some holes there. When carb cleaner comes out those holes when sprayed into the pilot jets OYOUGOTIT! Take the pilot jets out and clean them good. The air box must be on for the slides rise all the way to the top for full throttle. However! I will not wish you good luck because i know will have it! I tuned one of those up awhile back and detailed it for a guy whos daughter is autistic, and the magic is flowing through to you. :)If gas isn't flowing out of the petcock, turn the lever to prime.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2009 13:23 by nads.com.

More
23 Feb 2009 16:27 #267552 by turbotom
Cleaned the carbs again, removed the pilot jets and cleaned them good, I am still not getting anything. Could this be a timing issue? It does not make sense because the bike will try to fire up with starter fluid, but I really don't see how the carb can still be the problem.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
23 Feb 2009 17:30 #267580 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic KZ440 Carburetor Problems
I'm no carb guru, but is there a brass pickup tube on your carbs that extends down into the bowls? If so there's a passage between the bowl and the sump. That passage and that brass tube are frequently plugged when a bike sets long enough for the gas to evaporate.

Hope that helps.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
23 Feb 2009 22:07 #267656 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic KZ440 Carburetor Problems
sorry guy forgot about the brass tube -that's the problem. It might take alot of carb cleaner and air to unblock it, but it will blow through just dont give up on it. When it does finally clear make sure its GOOD and clear, it might let air through but still be partially blocked, listen to the sound of the air. Eventually it will unblock all the way. These are some of the toughest blocks i've seen on carbs, but it isn't that hard to clear it. I hate when i forget something, now he had to do it all over again for noi:angry:

More
24 Feb 2009 06:39 #267711 by turbotom
nads.com wrote:

sorry guy forgot about the brass tube -that's the problem. It might take alot of carb cleaner and air to unblock it, but it will blow through just dont give up on it. When it does finally clear make sure its GOOD and clear, it might let air through but still be partially blocked, listen to the sound of the air. Eventually it will unblock all the way. These are some of the toughest blocks i've seen on carbs, but it isn't that hard to clear it. I hate when i forget something, now he had to do it all over again for noi:angry:

I have a Haynes manual that I am trying to locate this brass tube with, but I can't seem to find it. Where exactly is it located?

More
24 Feb 2009 06:39 #267712 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic KZ440 Carburetor Problems
The KZ440 uses Keihin CV series carburetors that have a real choke butterfly and therefor have no brass pickup tube which is there to pick up gas on carbs equipped with enrichener (choke plunger) circuits.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
24 Feb 2009 08:10 #267736 by turbotom
wiredgeorge wrote:

The KZ440 uses Keihin CV series carburetors that have a real choke butterfly and therefor have no brass pickup tube which is there to pick up gas on carbs equipped with enrichener (choke plunger) circuits.

Well that's unfortunate, it sounded like that brass pickup tube was the problem. Any other ideas?

More
24 Feb 2009 08:40 - 24 Feb 2009 08:41 #267744 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ440 Carburetor Problems
:unsure: Would the engine start up and run before the carb cleaning?

Perhaps a compression issue and not a carb issue. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 24 Feb 2009 08:41 by Patton.

More
24 Feb 2009 10:03 #267771 by turbotom
Patton wrote:

:unsure: Would the engine start up and run before the carb cleaning?

Perhaps a compression issue and not a carb issue. :)

The bike would not start before the carb cleaning. I will have to check the compression, although the bike will fire up for a quick second with starter fluid sprayed into the carbs. This leads me to believe that it is not a compression issue, but a fuel delivery issue. Thank you for the suggestion.