KZ440 Carburetor Problems

More
25 Feb 2009 20:58 #268153 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic KZ440 Carburetor Problems
Spray carb cleaner into the pilot and look into the throat. If it isnt coming out the throat it's still blocked. Take out the idle mix screws and spray in there. It should come out. The carbs are your problem. Clean them again. Crank the motor with your hand over the intakes and if you feel suction, kick yourself. Short cut just kick your self.Never forget revving up a yamaha 550 in the back yard on a sunday morning, it was bogging out and would not idle. The neigbor came over and yelled at me.. IS NOT GETTIN GAS! YOU EVER HEARD OF DRY SCORE! He doesnt bother me anymoere cuz hes dead.:woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2009 08:07 #268218 by turbotom
Replied by turbotom on topic KZ440 Carburetor Problems
nads.com wrote:

Spray carb cleaner into the pilot and look into the throat. If it isnt coming out the throat it's still blocked. Take out the idle mix screws and spray in there. It should come out. The carbs are your problem. Clean them again. Crank the motor with your hand over the intakes and if you feel suction, kick yourself. Short cut just kick your self.Never forget revving up a yamaha 550 in the back yard on a sunday morning, it was bogging out and would not idle. The neigbor came over and yelled at me.. IS NOT GETTIN GAS! YOU EVER HEARD OF DRY SCORE! He doesnt bother me anymoere cuz hes dead.:woohoo:

Where are the idle mix screws located? And what are you saying about suction? If I get suction then it is good? Thanks.

More
28 Feb 2009 14:46 #268718 by turbotom
Replied by turbotom on topic KZ440 Carburetor Problems
Well, I finally got the bike running today. Both other times I cleaned the carbs, i just made sure the float needles were moving, this time I cleaned them and even used a little sandpaper to get any gunk off of them. The bike fired right up. One last question that pertains to the carburetor... What should the bike idle at? Thank you guys for all the help, I appreciate all the advice I got.

More
28 Feb 2009 16:40 #268746 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic KZ440 Carburetor Problems
The idle spec is in the manual I suspect you looked at on our site. Take care when setting the idle as the tach on a KZ isn't all that accurate at lower rpm. I set the idle by ear... most tachs will read 1100 rpm to 1500 rpm at the speed I use. I have a number of different KZs and the spread is 400-500 rpm from bike to bike at most likely the same idle speed. Once you get over 2000 rpm, I suspect the gauges are a bit more accurate. Almost all the manuals tell you to use an external shop tach to set the idle. If you notice the oil pressure light coming on, it is too low.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!