Anyone use yellow teflon tape?

More
31 Jan 2009 07:31 #261113 by OKC_Kent
Anyone use yellow teflon tape? was created by OKC_Kent
The guys on the ZRXOA forum mentioned that yellow Teflon tape is for fuel use, as white tape won't hold up? I used white on my petcock and had to replace it this year after 3 years, it was leaking, the tape seemed melted and was liquid-ey. I never heard of or saw yellow tape, anyone else?

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2009 07:52 #261115 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Anyone use yellow teflon tape?
ive got some pink teflon tape,its for steam lines really!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
31 Jan 2009 10:10 #261136 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Anyone use yellow teflon tape?
I've never heard of it either. I don't use teflon tape at all. If threads leak you can put Yamabond #4 or equivalent on the bolt and it never leaks.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
31 Jan 2009 10:13 #261137 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Anyone use yellow teflon tape?
i'd do what ron said cuase the only thing i've seen yel tef tape used for is gas lines and they use a paste now more...i think it's just thicker but not sure good luck

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
31 Jan 2009 11:06 #261147 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Anyone use yellow teflon tape?
I personally wouldn't do what Ron is telling you to do as I don't think he is understanding how you are using the tape Kent. I wrap all my fittings with regular white teflon tape and it lasts indefinitely. The reason your tape failed was that it was there to stop gas from seeping out.

We install the correct orings on fittings with orings OR recoat the fittings that are clad in rubber. This process in itself will stop leaks. We use tape to keep the fittings tight in their sockets because it is pivoting that wears either the orings or rubber cladding and either will them eventually fail.

I have never heard of yellow tape and would probably try some if not cost prohibitive and was readily available. There are sooooo many gurus giving advice on the internet that I have learned to be conservative when trying advice as a lot of the stuff that comes from a guru isn't really great advice. They did a mod of some sort on ONE application and it held together and then if they are a real guru, will sound thoroughly reasonable and knowledgeable and everyone will start taking the tip as gospel. The yellow teflon tape kind of sounds like this sort of deal but it is worth trying if you can find this stuff.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
31 Jan 2009 11:50 - 31 Jan 2009 12:04 #261150 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Anyone use yellow teflon tape?
Never tried yellow teflon tape, but heard somewhere that Home Depot reportedly has it. Thinking intended more for using in natural gas fixtures as opposed to gasoline fuel fittings. :unsure:

The o-ring that's squeezed between the two-way nut when tightening a manual petcock to the tank is supposed to prevent leakage at that juncture, and provides a good leak-free seal on my bikes. Am thinking the o-ring design provides all the sealing necessary, that fuel doesn't contact the threads, and that these threads aren't relied on to themselves seal against fuel leakage.

While certainly no substitute for correct o-ring fitment, Permatex 56521 high performance thread sealant is touted for use on fuel fittings where the threads themselves are relied on to seal against leakage.

Permatex 56521

Am guessing it might be of some benefit on the screw threads attaching a vacuum operated petcock to the fuel tank where gasoline contacts the threads. But usually a washer between screw head and petcock serves the sealing duties.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Jan 2009 12:04 by Patton.

More
31 Jan 2009 16:42 #261198 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Anyone use yellow teflon tape?
Well I researched a bit and Patton is right, yellow is intended for gas lines, as in Natural Gas. The pink stuff Plummen has is mentioned for 1/2" and above fittings. What's interesting is the end of the other forum post, where Rectorseal is said to be good around gas/fuel. Maybe I'll find some of that and try it.

Forum post:
Per ASTM (American Society of Testing & Materials) Standards we must use a thread sealant on all NPT (National Pipe Taper) Threads & fittings. The type of thread sealant is selected for compatibility with the material that the pipe will be conveying. In residential service the use of NPT joints is normally limited to water, natural gas, propane gas, #1 & #2 heating oils and occasionally low pressure steam, refrigerants or high-pressure air in a shop compressor system.

TEFLON TAPE:

When PTFE (Teflon) tape first became available they only made it in the common single density type, which we commonly find in the hardware and home supply stores. Later they began making a double density version, which was twice as thick. Many state and local codes then adopted the double density type as mandatory when making connections for natural gas however since both products were the same color (white) it was difficult for inspectors to be sure which product had been used. PTFE tape is now made in numerous varieties and they have issued a color standard to determine which type should be used.

WHITE-Single density- should only be used on NPT threads up to 3/8 inch.
YELLOW- Double Density- yellow double density is often labeled as "Gas type"
RED-Triple Density: (Note-the container is red but the tape itself appears as a pale pink color). Presently required on all joints ½" diameter or greater.
GREEN- Oil Free PTFE tape- Required for use on all lines conveying oxygen (I.E. –medical oxygen or welding oxygen lines).
COPPER COLOR- contains granules of copper and is to be used as a thread lubricant but is not approved as a thread sealant. (Generally it is used as a thread lubricant on bolts or pipe threads for mechanical applications where no physical seal is required.)

PTFE tape is only approved as a thread seal when applied correctly. To apply you begin at the end of the pipe and wrap the tape under tension in the direction of the thread turns. Each successive layer should overlap the previous layer by ½ to 2/3 and continue wrapping until the entire threaded portion of the pipe is covered. (Minimum of 3 full turns).

PIPE DOPE:

When looking for pipe dope in the hardware or home supply store we commonly find two types, a tube of dark gray paste labeled "Pipe dope" and tubes or small bottles of white "Teflon Pipe Dope". When selecting the pipe dope check the fine print very carefully to insure the product is listed as approved for the application you intend to use it for as some of these products have a very limited range of applications. As a rule the Teflon pipe dope will have the broadest range of applications and will normally meet all requirements that would typically be found in a residential environment. (My personal reservation with Teflon pipe dope is that it is extremely messy to work with.)

WHICH TO USE?
Providing the Teflon tape or pipe dope is approved for the type of material you intend to convey in the pipe the choice of tape or dope is then a matter of personal preference. Although there is no hard and fast rule that I am aware of, as a rule most plumbers prefer to use pipe dope on all permanent pipe joints, which are pipe joints which would normally be expected to last the life of the structure whereas Teflon tape is often the material of choice when attaching the end use trim out items such as threaded angle stop valves or shower arms and shower heads or in any exposed location where pipe dope might prove unsightly.

As a rule I never make a product endorsement but in the case or pipe dope I will make an exception to that rule.

While there is a number of universal pipe dopes on the market in my opinion the product that is most widely accepted by plumbers, pipe fitters, HVAC techs and electricians, as the standard is a product called "RectorSeal".

RectorSeal is made in both a hardening and non-hardening formula. (The advantage of the non-hardening formula is that the product will not dry out between uses so a small ½ pint container would meet the needs of a homeowner for years to come.)

While other pipe dopes are may be listed for a broad range of applications RectorSeal is listed as approved for but not limited to, Potable water, non-potable water, DWV, Natural Gas, propane, fuel oils (#1 through heavy bunker oils), gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuel, motor oils, lubricants, aviation fuel, jet fuel, high & low pressure air, low pressure steam, high pressure steam, most refrigerants, numerous industrial chemicals, most agricultural fertilizers and electrical conduits in both above grade and direct burial applications.

Although RectorSeal is seldom seen in a hardware or home supply store it can be found in almost all plumbing supply houses, HVAC supply houses and electrical supply houses. In fact, in most trade supply houses if you ask for pipe dope this is the product they will hand you unless you specify another brand.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
31 Jan 2009 17:19 #261218 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Anyone use yellow teflon tape?
I guess I don't in fact understand where your leak is.:) There's no need for any seal on the 6mm bolts that secure the petcock to the tank as the plastic washer provides seal there and it never ever leaks. The rubber oring between the tank and petcock needs replaced every time the petcock is removed or seal with Yamabond #4 works just fine. I've done it many times. Where is the leak exactly?

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
31 Jan 2009 18:24 #261234 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Anyone use yellow teflon tape?
I vote with Patton on the Permatex sealer. I've used this style of stuff (from both Permatex and Loctite) and it is amazing. It is rated for high pressure liquids and gases (except steam and oxygen) as well as all common automotive liquids. I've even used it to dress carb gaskets from time to time. It has the major advantage of being able to be used just about anywhere on any kind of threaded connection...
and even some that are non-threaded.
Teflon tape, as per one post above, requires that the proper grade/type be used....otherwise failure is sure to follow.
My .02....

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
31 Jan 2009 20:59 #261273 by PLUMMEN
wiredgeorge wrote:

I personally wouldn't do what Ron is telling you to do as I don't think he is understanding how you are using the tape Kent. I wrap all my fittings with regular white teflon tape and it lasts indefinitely. The reason your tape failed was that it was there to stop gas from seeping out.

We install the correct orings on fittings with orings OR recoat the fittings that are clad in rubber. This process in itself will stop leaks. We use tape to keep the fittings tight in their sockets because it is pivoting that wears either the orings or rubber cladding and either will them eventually fail.

I have never heard of yellow tape and would probably try some if not cost prohibitive and was readily available. There are sooooo many gurus giving advice on the internet that I have learned to be conservative when trying advice as a lot of the stuff that comes from a guru isn't really great advice. They did a mod of some sort on ONE application and it held together and then if they are a real guru, will sound thoroughly reasonable and knowledgeable and everyone will start taking the tip as gospel. The yellow teflon tape kind of sounds like this sort of deal but it is worth trying if you can find this stuff.

i believe he was referring to natural gas,not gasoline!:laugh:

More
31 Jan 2009 21:02 #261274 by PLUMMEN
OKC_Kent wrote:

Well I researched a bit and Patton is right, yellow is intended for gas lines, as in Natural Gas. The pink stuff Plummen has is mentioned for 1/2" and above fittings. What's interesting is the end of the other forum post, where Rectorseal is said to be good around gas/fuel. Maybe I'll find some of that and try it.

Forum post:
Per ASTM (American Society of Testing & Materials) Standards we must use a thread sealant on all NPT (National Pipe Taper) Threads & fittings. The type of thread sealant is selected for compatibility with the material that the pipe will be conveying. In residential service the use of NPT joints is normally limited to water, natural gas, propane gas, #1 & #2 heating oils and occasionally low pressure steam, refrigerants or high-pressure air in a shop compressor system.

TEFLON TAPE:

When PTFE (Teflon) tape first became available they only made it in the common single density type, which we commonly find in the hardware and home supply stores. Later they began making a double density version, which was twice as thick. Many state and local codes then adopted the double density type as mandatory when making connections for natural gas however since both products were the same color (white) it was difficult for inspectors to be sure which product had been used. PTFE tape is now made in numerous varieties and they have issued a color standard to determine which type should be used.

WHITE-Single density- should only be used on NPT threads up to 3/8 inch.
YELLOW- Double Density- yellow double density is often labeled as "Gas type"
RED-Triple Density: (Note-the container is red but the tape itself appears as a pale pink color). Presently required on all joints ½" diameter or greater.
GREEN- Oil Free PTFE tape- Required for use on all lines conveying oxygen (I.E. –medical oxygen or welding oxygen lines).
COPPER COLOR- contains granules of copper and is to be used as a thread lubricant but is not approved as a thread sealant. (Generally it is used as a thread lubricant on bolts or pipe threads for mechanical applications where no physical seal is required.)

PTFE tape is only approved as a thread seal when applied correctly. To apply you begin at the end of the pipe and wrap the tape under tension in the direction of the thread turns. Each successive layer should overlap the previous layer by ½ to 2/3 and continue wrapping until the entire threaded portion of the pipe is covered. (Minimum of 3 full turns).

PIPE DOPE:

When looking for pipe dope in the hardware or home supply store we commonly find two types, a tube of dark gray paste labeled "Pipe dope" and tubes or small bottles of white "Teflon Pipe Dope". When selecting the pipe dope check the fine print very carefully to insure the product is listed as approved for the application you intend to use it for as some of these products have a very limited range of applications. As a rule the Teflon pipe dope will have the broadest range of applications and will normally meet all requirements that would typically be found in a residential environment. (My personal reservation with Teflon pipe dope is that it is extremely messy to work with.)

WHICH TO USE?
Providing the Teflon tape or pipe dope is approved for the type of material you intend to convey in the pipe the choice of tape or dope is then a matter of personal preference. Although there is no hard and fast rule that I am aware of, as a rule most plumbers prefer to use pipe dope on all permanent pipe joints, which are pipe joints which would normally be expected to last the life of the structure whereas Teflon tape is often the material of choice when attaching the end use trim out items such as threaded angle stop valves or shower arms and shower heads or in any exposed location where pipe dope might prove unsightly.

As a rule I never make a product endorsement but in the case or pipe dope I will make an exception to that rule.

While there is a number of universal pipe dopes on the market in my opinion the product that is most widely accepted by plumbers, pipe fitters, HVAC techs and electricians, as the standard is a product called "RectorSeal".

RectorSeal is made in both a hardening and non-hardening formula. (The advantage of the non-hardening formula is that the product will not dry out between uses so a small ½ pint container would meet the needs of a homeowner for years to come.)

While other pipe dopes are may be listed for a broad range of applications RectorSeal is listed as approved for but not limited to, Potable water, non-potable water, DWV, Natural Gas, propane, fuel oils (#1 through heavy bunker oils), gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuel, motor oils, lubricants, aviation fuel, jet fuel, high & low pressure air, low pressure steam, high pressure steam, most refrigerants, numerous industrial chemicals, most agricultural fertilizers and electrical conduits in both above grade and direct burial applications.

Although RectorSeal is seldom seen in a hardware or home supply store it can be found in almost all plumbing supply houses, HVAC supply houses and electrical supply houses. In fact, in most trade supply houses if you ask for pipe dope this is the product they will hand you unless you specify another brand.

i use rectorseal T plus 2 or something like that on water and gas lines never had a problem with it,i buy it at fergusons plumbing supply B)

More
01 Feb 2009 02:42 #261342 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Anyone use yellow teflon tape?
with the diarea that ive been having lately i could probably use some of that RECTORseal if you find any let me know it might come in handy

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE